Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354
    https://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/1...kings-castoffs

How are some former Vikes doing? See here

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Do not overlook Latavius Murray’s role in the Vikings’ winning streak

There has been no shortage of heroes on the Minnesota Vikings’ roster during their eight-game winning streak, but one player who has seemingly flown under the radar is running back Latavius Murray.

After a slow start to the season, the 2015 Pro Bowler has been one of the NFL’s top running backs. Over the past six games, he’s averaged 79 yards per game at 4.5 yards per carry and scored five touchdowns.

The only running backs with more yards during that time are Mark Ingram, Le’Veon Bell and LeSean McCoy. Only Ingram and teammate Alvin Kamara have more touchdowns since Week 7.

While the Vikings’ offensive line has played a huge role in the success of the Vikings’ running game, Murray has been tough to take down when defenders get a hand on him. The 6-foot-3, 230-pound back ranks third in the NFL in yards after contact over his last six contests.

He’s been effective as a home run hitter and a ground-and-pound finisher. Murray has picked up runs of at least 30 yards in three straight games. He’s also averaging 5.1 yards per carry when the Vikings have been ahead in games.

Against the Falcons, it’s easy to forget that the Vikings closed the game on back-to-back Murray runs that took away any shot Atlanta would have at a comeback. With 3:10 remaining and everyone in the building aware Murray was going to run, he slammed up the middle for eight yards, then gained a first down on the next play to seal the win.

One of the reasons the Vikings wanted Murray was to pick up big first downs in short yardage situations. Over the last six games, he has 12 first downs and two touchdowns on 21 carries with fewer than three yards to go and no runner has carried the ball more in short yardage than Murray.

His effectiveness has been key for the Vikings’ highly-praised third down attack. It’s certainly been good, but one of the reasons the Vikings are at the top on third down is because they have the third fewest third downs with six or more yards to go.

And when they’ve had third-and-long situations, they Vikings have been very poor. Case Keenum averages just 5.8 yards per attempt on third down with more than six yards to go, which is second worst in the NFL. But 25 quarterbacks have been asked to throw on third-and-long more than Keenum.

It’s also been discussed at length Keenum’s ability to avoid sacks and the offensive line’s pass protection proficiency. Murray has played a subtly good role in protection. He’s given up one hurry all year – and that was way back in Week 4.

While Murray has taken over the top running back duties, Jerick McKinnon has maintained an effective role in the passing game – just how the Vikings planned it in the offseason before drafting Dalvin Cook. McKinnon has 23 receptions on 30 targets for 168 yards since Week 7 – and he added a touchdown catch against the Falcons.

Since Cook went down, Murray has been everything the Vikings were hoping for in a top back – he’s even shown some improvement in his patience, several times waiting for holes to open up in the Falcons’ front seven before taking off. His contribution shouldn’t be overlooked when we break down why the Vikings have won eight games in a row.
    http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/20...inning-streak/
    2017 Vikings Draft :
    41: Dalvin Cook RB Florida State
    70: Pat Elflein C Ohio State
    109: Jaleel Johnson DT Iowa
    120: Ben Gedeon LB Michigan
    170: Rodney Adams WR South Florida
    180: Danny Isidora G Miami
    201: Bucky Hodges TE Virginia Tech
    219: Stacy Coley WR Miami
    220: Ifeadi Odenigbo DE Northwestern
    232: Elijah Lee LB Kansas State
    245: Jack Tocho CB N.C. State

#Faith

Excellent read and right on point. Murray has been excellent and I never thought he would be playing as well as he has. He sure in hell looks slow but those long strides really pick up some ground. Another great signing by slick Rick!

Quote Originally Posted by pacofunk64 View Post
    Excellent read and right on point. Murray has been excellent and I never thought he would be playing as well as he has. He sure in hell looks slow but those long strides really pick up some ground. Another great signing by slick Rick!
    Both Murray and McKinnon have been awesome. Murray has a bit of a slow start sometimes but Shurmur has a tendency to run delay draws and stretches on 2-1 or 3-1.... DRIVES ME INSANE. When they just hammer him on a dive or power Murray hits the hole so much faster.

Murray's slow start also had something to do with the health of his repaired ankle
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Murray's slow start also had something to do with the health of his repaired ankle
    I think he means starts slow each game. I think a big portion of that has to do with wearing defenses down. He's a bruiser so he just needs to keep chipping away until guys get tired and then he can use his strength to break tackles since his cuts or speed don't normally get it done.

Teddy "Throwsevelt" Bridgewater

I'm still not a big fan of Murray lol I mean he's playing well but this guy still has zero wiggle. If he doesn't get a full head of steam going into a run then he isn't going anywhere. I wish McKinnon would get a couple more touches each week.
    2017 Vikings Draft :
    41: Dalvin Cook RB Florida State
    70: Pat Elflein C Ohio State
    109: Jaleel Johnson DT Iowa
    120: Ben Gedeon LB Michigan
    170: Rodney Adams WR South Florida
    180: Danny Isidora G Miami
    201: Bucky Hodges TE Virginia Tech
    219: Stacy Coley WR Miami
    220: Ifeadi Odenigbo DE Northwestern
    232: Elijah Lee LB Kansas State
    245: Jack Tocho CB N.C. State

#Faith

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    I'm still not a big fan of Murray lol I mean he's playing well but this guy still has zero wiggle. If he doesn't get a full head of steam going into a run then he isn't going anywhere. I wish McKinnon would get a couple more touches each week.
    Yes that is true, he isn't anything special but for as big of a guy he is he does have a little wiggle to him. But as far as explosiveness it is very minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    You don’t need wiggle when you’re throwing guys off of you 20 yards down the field lol. I know what you’re saying, he doesn’t have that dalvin cook wiggle but i have seen him get real skinny in the trenches and shoot out for big gains. He is also a great goal line back. Myself and my fantasy team have been very pleased with murray this year!

I wonder how bradford is doing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If you cant beat them, join them

Quote Originally Posted by carter80 View Post
    I wonder how bradford is doing.

Chillin' with his hot wife, watching his Canucks, he's fine thanks for asking
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Chillin' with his hot wife, watching his Canucks, he's fine thanks for asking
    Thanks for the update, i can sleep now..

If you cant beat them, join them

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/20...l-change-life/

Really good piece on Newman and how he helps mentor the younger players.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354