Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    I'm a Tigers fan who actually enjoys the way the Royals play. And for some odd reason, I don't really hate them even though I know I should. I think this may be because I don't know any Royals fans or see any on this forum. So thanks Extra Bases, you are going to make it easy for me to hate them now.
    Well interestingly even though Detroit is one of our Rivals I love Miquel Cabrera. Mostly because he reminds me of my favorite sports star George Brett. Just a pure hitter, not really a homerun hitter or a slap hitter just a good hitter in every way. He can give you a homer if you need it or a single. I've often crunched numbers between Brett, Schmidt and Cabrera trying to find an angle that qualifies Brett as the greatest 3rd baseman ever. That would have gone to Cabrera if he had stayed at the position. And I actually think Brett is the best, being more dynamic than Schmidt and much better in the post-season and the clutch.

The Yankees in 1996-2000 did have a lot of similarities with the Current Royals. A lockdown bullpen, patience with some prospects especially Jeter, Mo, Bernie and Posada who weren't traded (when a few of them were inches away from being traded). Great versality in offense with patience, hitting and running.

So it's not anything new what the Royals did. It's been done before.

Masahiro Tanaka 2016 Stats:

Wins 13 | Losses 4 | 193.2 IPs | 34 Walks | 160 Strikeouts | 2.97 ERA | 1.06 WHIP

The Royals single season home run leader is Steve Balboni with his 35 knocks. Wow 35 amazingly low right? Its because they don't bother looking for HR hitters with the big park. So all the rallies I've witnessed have been the "keep the line moving" type. This year KC was 4th in the AL in Runs Scored and 14th in the league in homers. The bullpen wasn't the only revolutionary aspect of this team. What about their "put the ball in play" mentality. They weren't even concerned with walks and OBP. It was make contact and the defense will screw up. The team BA was good. They didn't steal as many bases in 15' as in 14' because they knew they wouldn't have to. Someone would bring em in, plus they were aggressive on the bases on hits and sacs. Also the Royals are going after fly-ball pitchers, which can come cheap, because of the awesome outfield defense. As far as the bullpen, the thing that was different was the depth. They took care of 4 innings, not 2 or 3, almost nightly. It took pressure off the starters too.
    Last edited by Extra Bases; 01-17-2016 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    OP def likes the smell of his own brand.
    Just give it a few years. Kind of like they were non-existent from 1990 to mid 2013 when they were horrible and no body cared about them.

Yankees/Chiefs/Nets/Jayhawks

Quote Originally Posted by jd25213 View Post
    Just give it a few years. Kind of like they were non-existent from 1990 to mid 2013 when they were horrible and no body cared about them.
    By the way I hate the Yankees but I absolutely abhor the Jayhawks, the Chiefs are my Jam. Big time Mizzou fan here and even though our rivalry is gone for now, I hate Bill Self with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns and I don't even know why. I guess its cuz he's good and he knows it better than anybody.

didn't they lose like 20 straight a few years ago?

I love me some George Brett. Was a big fan of Saberhagen, Appier, Storm Davis and Gubicza when I was a kid too lol. Hmmm, maybe I'm a closet Royals fan...nah just an odd Canadian that loves baseball.

35 homers is their team record? That blew my mind.

It was more than just a bullpen. The Royals used players who came up through the system together....they were family. GMDM went after contact hitters, and made sure we were strong defensively up the middle. We have multiple gold glove winners, and a fanbase second to none. 800,000 of them came to KC to celebrate with the team for the World Series parade. The Royals captured lightning in a bottle....a magic, if you will.....and other teams are scrambling to try to buy that magic, when the reality is that you cant buy it. Players hit when they needed to, there was never a situation when the Royals thought they were beaten.....they could always come back.....and the team, and its fans are family.

Others may try to talk this phenomenon down, but it warms my soul to see the Yankees sucking....with no hope of them being worth a crap any time soon

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Bases View Post

Well interestingly even though Detroit is one of our Rivals I love Miquel Cabrera. Mostly because he reminds me of my favorite sports star George Brett. Just a pure hitter, not really a homerun hitter or a slap hitter just a good hitter in every way. He can give you a homer if you need it or a single. I've often crunched numbers between Brett, Schmidt and Cabrera trying to find an angle that qualifies Brett as the greatest 3rd baseman ever. That would have gone to Cabrera if he had stayed at the position. And I actually think Brett is the best, being more dynamic than Schmidt and much better in the post-season and the clutch.
    No way. Schmidt is easily the best 3B ever. Don't get me wrong, I love Brett and he's easily in my top 5 favorite players of all time, but I can guarantee you most people will agree with me. Even my family, who as with my mother are from Bonner Springs, knows it to be true and it kills them to say so due to 1980.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    Parity is about equality of opportunity, not equality of results.

Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    I love me some George Brett. Was a big fan of Saberhagen, Appier, Storm Davis and Gubicza when I was a kid too lol. Hmmm, maybe I'm a closet Royals fan...nah just an odd Canadian that loves baseball.

35 homers is their team record? That blew my mind.
    Loved that team as well. They were always my second favorite team besides the Phillies and my favorite AL team my whole life. I was really happy for my family back in '85 due to '80 and for the last couple of years as they suffered so long.

I went to a game this past season with 25 of my family members. It was a great and I love the improvements they made to the stadium. It was my first time there since the 90's. They won too, but it was hot. I think it was 95 degrees that day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    Parity is about equality of opportunity, not equality of results.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12