Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

Making a Murderer

Just wondering if anyone has watched this. It's a docu-series on Netflix. I recommend it. I just watched it over the weekend with the wife. It's about a man who spends 18 years in prison for rape before he was exonerated only to find himself with more problems a few years later. I don't want to give away anything so I'll leave it vague.

I watched the first couple of episodes with my GF (she is a documentary nut).

It was interesting and quite disturbing on a few different levels. I am from WI so im kind of familiar with all the things that happened, but never knew these kinds of details. Would definitely recommend it to anyone who likes documentaries, especially crime related ones.

i'm watching with my wife now. its a couples thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

i cant believe how dumb the nephew is. Its really frustrating. What to believe??????????

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    i cant believe how dumb the nephew is. Its really frustrating. What to believe??????????
    The best part was when he asked his mom what inconsistent meant and she said "I don't really know".

Making a Murderer

I think it's pretty interesting and definitely worth a shot if you liked the jinx on HBO or Serial.

I'll post my thoughts in a spoiler tag when I'm not on my phone.

This series blew me away. I can't believe I haven't heard of this case.

Just finished it.

Sad, really, is the only word I can use. The doc was obviously slanted in a pro-Avery perspective and after watching things like these I always try and do some internet digging to find the things that may have been glossed over by the filmmakers because they don't portray their protagonist in the most positive light, so I'll have to do a bit of that now before I can offer any more of a substantial review.

Still though, the whole thing is genuinely sad. At the absolute very least Brendan was certainly deserving of another trial. I can't wrap my head around how the state still convicts him on a story that they entirely threw out and disregarded as blatantly false in convicting his uncle.

I think Steven's power-lawyer best sums up my thoughts at that final round table discussion they're having in the last episode where he says something to the effect of, "A part of me hopes Steven Avery actually did commit this crime, because the idea of him spending the rest of his life in prison for something he didn't do after already having lost 18 years of the prime of his life for something we know he didn't do....I can't deal with that."

One more thought I have to make mention of regarding the judge at Avery's sentencing. What a ****ing slapdick that guy was. In talking about Avery's "escalating degree of crimes" as he aged he was clearly referencing the rape that we know (and more importantly, he knows) Avery did not commit. Just made it seem that he, like so many others, was clearly acting on an already established narrative/agenda. That really bothered me.

As I alluded to, this is why I always do some followup after watching something like this.

That said, this is also pretty interesting.

Guilty or not, the way the police and the lawyers handled this whole situation is pretty disturbing. Especially in the Dassey case, in my opinion.

I can't get over how much of a worm the first attorney who represented his nephew was.

Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    As I alluded to, this is why I always do some followup after watching something like this.

That said, this is also pretty interesting.
    I saw that first link earlier today. If the jury heard testimony of that information it would be pretty understandable how they could overlook the sketchy narrative and forensic evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    Just finished it.

Sad, really, is the only word I can use. The doc was obviously slanted in a pro-Avery perspective and after watching things like these I always try and do some internet digging to find the things that may have been glossed over by the filmmakers because they don't portray their protagonist in the most positive light, so I'll have to do a bit of that now before I can offer any more of a substantial review.

Still though, the whole thing is genuinely sad. At the absolute very least Brendan was certainly deserving of another trial. I can't wrap my head around how the state still convicts him on a story that they entirely threw out and disregarded as blatantly false in convicting his uncle.

I think Steven's power-lawyer best sums up my thoughts at that final round table discussion they're having in the last episode where he says something to the effect of, "A part of me hopes Steven Avery actually did commit this crime, because the idea of him spending the rest of his life in prison for something he didn't do after already having lost 18 years of the prime of his life for something we know he didn't do....I can't deal with that."

One more thought I have to make mention of regarding the judge at Avery's sentencing. What a ****ing slapdick that guy was. In talking about Avery's "escalating degree of crimes" as he aged he was clearly referencing the rape that we know (and more importantly, he knows) Avery did not commit. Just made it seem that he, like so many others, was clearly acting on an already established narrative/agenda. That really bothered me.
    SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like you I always do digging to see if anything was left out or whatnot and couldn't find much at all. One of the filmmakers was a former lawyer so it did a good job of showing all the evidence, and the court system failed these guys. Esp Brendon. I have no idea how a jury convicts this kid with zero evidence. Steve lawyers gave the Jury reasonable doubts and motives every single day. 6 were undecided and then they weren't. That's half the Jury's changing their minds. I'm also blown away how they didn't really question the ex boyfriend or any family members. I mean why in the hell did her EX delete VM's and he didn't guess her password he knew it. Why? What did the VM's say?
    Last edited by CC!; 12-31-2015 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HoodedSB View Post
    I can't get over how much of a worm the first attorney who represented his nephew was.
    I swear if this kid doesn't get a re-trail....I don't know what to even say?!?!

Oh and those two cops who clearly planted the key....wow. The lead prosecutor even makes a concession in his closing argument that "even IF the key was planted, the reasoning behind it was correct."

Then he goes on to say "presumption of innocence is only for the innocent"

What. The. ****.

He made up a gory account of the crime scene that later turned out to be completely fabricated, and blasted it over every media outlet in the state completely destroying Avery's chance at a fair trial, LONG before the case made it to trial. Avery MIGHT have done it, but the prosecution acted so horrendously unprofessionally and decided from day-one that he is the only suspect worth pursuing. They worked backwards from the presumption that he was guilty (or they flat out planted the evidence during that period when the Avery's weren't allowed back into their compound), and made no attempt to find the truth. This case is disgusting on so many levels, all the way from how the prosecution and local sheriffs dept acted, to the local community that is apparently every bit as dense and trashy as the Avery's themselves (those letters that they read during the hearing for a re-trial, my god).

The documentary may have been one-sided but I believe the point was to shine a light on the justice system, not attempt to solve the murder. Regardless of whether or not you think Avery might be guilty he did NOT get the fair trial he was legally entitled to.

Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast