Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Fair enough, I try to be a little more optimistic even though there have been very few off-seasons where we have truly been active (when we signed Tejada and when we brought in Cruz and Jimenez.) I can't really argue with you, because we could just as easily start going after the standard Duquette reclamation project/overseas player to fill out the rest of the roster.

At least we brought back Wieters (even though I think they really didn't want to) and O'Day. That's a start in the right direction.
    I generally am always the optimistic one in these situations, but it's really time for PA to step up and open the wallet. You know DD and Buck are all for spending if it's there. We need one big bat whether thats Davis or someone else, along with a decent arm for sure.

So it looks like we are moving on from Davis, judging from Duquette's comments at Fan Fest this weekend.

We are amongst a trio of teams that Yovani Gallardo is expected to pick from. I am not a fan of Gallardo, and I think he's going to get lit up at Camden Yards.

We are also rumored to have a two year offer, between $6 and $8 million combined, our to Korean OF Hyun-Soo Kim. What sticks out to me from what has been reported over here, he is a master at working counts- he drew 101 walks, and struck out 63 times. That kind of plate discipline would be a breath of fresh air at the to of the order.

We got Kim, happy about that for sure. Gives us a potential leadoff man that has a good eye at the plate and makes good contact. I'm definitely excited about it, it's only 3.5M per year so it shouldn't have much impact at all on what we do the rest of hte offseason. Let's go DD, nice start, but we still need a RF and SP help.

I like his 101 walks to 63 strikeouts, we definitely need someone who is selective at the plate. At worst, he's going to be a platoon guy, but the thinking is that he will be a good MLB outfielder, especially getting on base, so it works out for us.

Just read where Boras is asking the moon for Chen, now at five years, $100 million. Considering what the Giants gave Samardzija, I don't blame him at all for trying to get that. I would not have given Shark more than a one year deal after this past year.

Well, the Chris Davis front is still dead. Boras is trying to get interest up by propping up Davis as a legit COF option, but teams aren't biting. He has to know by now most teams aren't signing Davis to a seven year deal unless it's the Orioles, and his chance to even get that has to be slipping away. Most teams see that being too risky of a contract- ironic that we are willing to go there considering Angelos and all.

We've also been linked to Antonio Bastardo, and if we sign him, could be trading Matusz. I am not sure I like that, but Matusz might bring decent value in a trade.

One thing I found interesting- if we signed Davis, and were still able to get Justin Upton on a one year deal like we did Nelson Cruz, what else would we do? This would clearly be an offense that is set to compete, but signing Gallardo to support the rotation would be just like adding Jimenez. Do we expend our trade chips (not Gausman or Schoop) to bring in a TORP?

We lost Chen to the Marlins. I am a bit surprised that Boras would take this deal, but the opt out gives Chen one more chance at free agency, though he will be 32 then. The contract is technically five years, $80 million with a sixth year vesting option, but Chen receives $6 million in 2016 and $14 million in 2017 before the opt-out can happen. Typical Loria move, and I know we expected to lose Chen anyway, but this doesn't make it easier. At least we get a comensation pick.

We also lost Gerardo Parra, who signed a three year deal with Colorado. I am shocked that he got that much money, I thought his time with Baltimore would have dropped his value and he would take a one year deal somewhere. That also means that Colorado will be making a trade involving an outfielder, and we have been linked to them in trade talks.

We avoided arbitration with Mark Trumbo signing him to a contract worth $9.15 million

The Orioles have made an offer to OF Yoenis Cespedes, believed to be five years and between $75-$90 million. Also being reported with this is that the Orioles are still frustrated with Chris Davis and might be walking away completely. Showalter essentially called him out at a leadership conference in Towson today.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12