Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Synyster89 View Post
    Thoughts on pursuing Mike Minor? He was recently non-tendered if I recall correctly.
    Another former Brave, Brandon Beachy, is said to be prioritizing any club offering a guaranteed starting job. The Phillies can definitely do that - if they still like him.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

With the Chapman deal falling through and Giles seemingly the best available closer option available, what could the Phillies (or us fans) expect as a realistic return?
    Phillies/Eagles/Flyers/Sixers/Union/Arsenal

The Phillies will want something comparable to the Kimbrel return from Boston. They may even ask for more since Giles is club controlled for five more seasons, very cheap now, and might be just as good as Kimbrel. There is some risk to acquiring Giles since he doesn't have a long track record, so that takes away from his trade value.

The market is rather saturated. Players like Mark Melancon and Andrew Miller will go for less, and they're more likely to be traded.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Phillies are looking at Doug Fister. It's actually a good situation for him. The Phillies have good defense aside from Franco and Howard/Ruf and Fister lives on balls in play - particularly grounders. He can also dictate terms. Ostensibly, he'd want a one-year deal with a player option.

The Astros are the team most engaged on Giles. I would expect the Phillies to ask for McCullers or A.J. Reed as a centerpiece. Both players are quite valuable so the remaining return might be small. That's just my guess as to their targets.

Astros are also trying to trade an OF+ for Carlos Carrasco which would open the door for a McCullers swap.

Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post
    The Astros are the team most engaged on Giles. I would expect the Phillies to ask for McCullers or A.J. Reed as a centerpiece. Both players are quite valuable so the remaining return might be small. That's just my guess as to their targets.

Astros are also trying to trade an OF+ for Carlos Carrasco which would open the door for a McCullers swap.
    Seems like it is being centered around Vincent Velasquez and two prospects with Brett Oberholtzer in the mix. I really hope Kyle Tucker is one of the specs.
    Proud Temple University Alum
    Eagles: Carson Wentz
    Phillies: Mickey Moniack
    76ers: Ben Simmons
    Flyers: Travis Konecny
    Temple Football: Anthony Russo
    Temple Basketball: Obi Enechionyia

...the beginning of a Philly Dynasty

It's happened. Derek Fisher in the third.

My reaction is that this was a decent if ever so slightly disappointing return. Still, the Phillies improved dramatically and cashed in a risky, elite asset. The rotation looks a whole lot more stable now.

The inclusion of Eshelman (which was reported late), covers the tiny bit of value I thought was left on the table. I think this was a fair trade from the perspective of the market and a very smart trade from the perspective of the Phillies rebuild.

It's a good trade, but I was definitely hoping for McCullers.

Oh well. Velasquez is certainly talented, and he's got Giles-level upside if he ends up not sticking in the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post
    The inclusion of Eshelman (which was reported late), covers the tiny bit of value I thought was left on the table. I think this was a fair trade from the perspective of the market and a very smart trade from the perspective of the Phillies rebuild.
    The trade is basically Giles for Velasquez & Fisher. Velasquez alone can "win" this trade for the Phillies if he sticks in the rotation and becomes a 3 starter or better...at worst he becomes a high upside reliever, like Giles. Fisher is a nice lottery ticket and has a good power/speed combo (22 HRs & 31 SBs in 143 games between A and A+ last season) with a noodle arm. Anything they get from Eshelman or Oberholtzer is just a bonus. Overall I like the trade, just wish we got a higher upside spec instead of Eshelman or Oberholtzer.

Also very happy with the Goeddel selection and that Tocci and Tirado didn't get selected. Good Rule 5 Draft for the Phillies.

Phillies' BP has been remade.

I'd put Hernandez in as a the 'closer'. He's the only guy who's value you'd want to artificially inflate by awarding him saves.

Garcia is probably the best reliever - use him in the tough 7th/8th inning spots.

Dan Otero is one of the better relievers he should also pitch the Phillies' important late innings - unless matchups favor another guy

The bullpen is a disaster zone right now, but at least they've fixed the rotation. As the Astros showed last year, it's not nearly as difficult to rapidly improve the bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by Synyster89 View Post
    The trade is basically Giles for Velasquez & Fisher. Velasquez alone can "win" this trade for the Phillies if he sticks in the rotation and becomes a 3 starter or better...at worst he becomes a high upside reliever, like Giles. Fisher is a nice lottery ticket and has a good power/speed combo (22 HRs & 31 SBs in 143 games between A and A+ last season) with a noodle arm. Anything they get from Eshelman or Oberholtzer is just a bonus. Overall I like the trade, just wish we got a higher upside spec instead of Eshelman or Oberholtzer.
    That's a little short sighted (and not like you). Oberholtzer, if he stays healthy, is an uninspiring, league average pitcher. A 180 inning season from him (30 starts) can be expected to produce between 2 and 3 WAR and an ERA under 4.50.

There's a reason Eshelman was the 46th overall pick in the draft. He's a polished college pitcher who could advance quickly. He was considered to be one of the best command pitchers in the draft. Maybe he turns out to be nothing, but he's not a useless throw-in.

Remember, Eickhoff and Asher served a similar role in the Hamels deal. We all think Eickhoff's something now, and Asher at least reached the majors quickly. Oberholtzer and Eshelman have better pedigrees and scouting reports than Eickoff at the time of the trade.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast