Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Was looking over Rule 5 selections. It's a very deep class. At first overall, I'd be looking for impact talent rather than a projectable arm. Those will still be available in the second round.

Five players stand out to me.

Jabari Blash - athletic, big power and strikeouts, solid walk rate, LF/RF
    Jake Cave - steady 4th OFer type
    Tyler Goeddel - said to be the most polished bat in the draft. Not the highest ceiling
    Zach Borenstein - Good power bat, LF
    Balbino Fuemayor - aggressive power bat coming off an ACL injury, 1B

Personally, I like Blash and Goeddel most. I don't think the Phillies need another complementary piece like Cave although he (along with Goeddel) is among the safest picks.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

The baseball world slows down too much around Thanksgiving.

The Phillies are still toying with the idea of re-signing Francoeur. Presently, the starting outfield is comprised of Odubel, Altherr, and Asche. Roman Quinn is also on the 40-man, but he isn't MLB ready. Darnell Sweeney is probably the fourth outfielder. I would expect him to platoon with Asche.

Under the present alignment, there is enough room to justify paying Francoeur a small amount. It's said the Phillies were pleased with his clubhouse presence. He probably wants to be a manager in the near future. However, they may want to see what comes of the Rule 5 draft first. As I posted a few days back, the most impactful picks are mostly outfielders. A Rule 5 selection doesn't necessarily block a Francoeur reunion - Asche could be traded or Sweeney optioned.

On the subject of starting pitching, the Phillies would probably like to add two more veterans. Retreads like Bronson Arroyo, Joe Blanton, Trevor Cahill, Chris Capuano, and Edwin Jackson would probably fill one of those slot.

I imagine the club wants a more reliable option like Bartolo Colon, Chris Young, or even Alfredo Simon for the other slot. Lucky for the Phillies, there is no shortage of other names to consider like Kyle Lohse, Shaun Marcum, Justin Masterson, Colby Lewis, Tim Lincecum, and Jeremy Guthrie.

The Marlins want a young SP in return for Marcell Ozuna. That would put the asking price somewhere around Aaron Nola. Sorry KJ.
    Last edited by The A Team; 11-27-2015 at 11:16 AM.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Saw that. Oh Well.

I like some reclamation options in the SP department. Cahill, Lincecum, Masterson are guys I like. Fister is someone I'd look at too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Actually Latos is probably the guy I'd want the most.
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Latos is often described as a miserable teammate. These things can matter even more for rebuilding clubs. Anyway, I think he needs a park like PNC or AT&T

If that's true, then yeah, I'd pass. I still think there are a decent amount of guys like you and I both mentioned that would take 1-2 year deals and are young.

From the Phillies perspective, top non-tenders include Yusmeiro Petit, Henderson Alvarez, Yohan Flande, and Juan Nicasio.

Petit may be too popular for the Phillies to pursue. Arguably the top swingman in baseball, the Phillies could offer a rotation gig and lucrative incentives to lure him away from contenders. Similarly, Alvarez could be enticed with a verbal guarantee of a job once he returns to health. He would start the year on the DL.

Flande is a guy I've grown to like after a decently successful season in Colorado. I think he could be deceptively productive for the Phillies on a peanuts contract. You may recall Flande's name from back when this forum was popular.

Nicasio is more of an erratic bullpen arm at this point in his career.

I could see Eury Perez as a fit in the OF too.

This is just my speculation, but a swap of Herrera for Javier Baez could make sense for the Phillies. In that scenario, Hernandez would shift back to an outfield role with either Baez or Galvis taking second base.

It would not be unwise for the Phillies to take on James Shields' entire contract with the intent of using their financial might to sell him later. The Padres are eager to get out from under that commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post
    This is just my speculation, but a swap of Herrera for Javier Baez could make sense for the Phillies. In that scenario, Hernandez would shift back to an outfield role with either Baez or Galvis taking second base.
    You would really give up a guy who gave us a 3.8 WAR season in his first season in MLB for Baez, who has mustered a -0.5 WAR in 80 career games. I love Baez's power potential, but with his K rate and lack of discipline , I can't see him ever hitting consistently above .250. Plus he has defensive deficiencies and is only one year younger than Herrera. I'd pass on Baezfor the price of Herrera, he just has too many holes in his game. IMO, Herrera has a much better chance of reaching his potential than Baez.
    Last edited by Synyster89; 12-04-2015 at 05:42 PM.
    Proud Temple University Alum
    Eagles: Carson Wentz
    Phillies: Mickey Moniack
    76ers: Ben Simmons
    Flyers: Travis Konecny
    Temple Football: Anthony Russo
    Temple Basketball: Obi Enechionyia

...the beginning of a Philly Dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post
    It would not be unwise for the Phillies to take on James Shields' entire contract with the intent of using their financial might to sell him later. The Padres are eager to get out from under that commitment.
    Thoughts on pursuing Mike Minor? He was recently non-tendered if I recall correctly.
    Proud Temple University Alum
    Eagles: Carson Wentz
    Phillies: Mickey Moniack
    76ers: Ben Simmons
    Flyers: Travis Konecny
    Temple Football: Anthony Russo
    Temple Basketball: Obi Enechionyia

...the beginning of a Philly Dynasty

Minor is pretty thoroughly broken last I heard. Henderson Alvarez would make more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Synyster89 View Post
    You would really give up a guy who gave us a 3.8 WAR season in his first season in MLB for Baez, who has mustered a -0.5 WAR in 80 career games. I love Baez's power potential, but with his K rate and lack of discipline , I can't see him ever hitting consistently above .250. Plus he has defensive deficiencies and is only one year younger than Herrera. I'd pass on Baezfor the price of Herrera, he just has too many holes in his game. IMO, Herrera has a much better chance of reaching his potential than Baez.
    I'm a Baez doubter myself. It's just an idea I could see them pursuing. The Cubs do have plenty of other prospects and need a CFer.

Twins are trying to dump Ricky Nolasco. I see the Phillies as a fit. Nolasco has 2 years and $25MM left on his contract. Nolasco should cost virtually nothing in terms of trade assets. Even then, the Twins would probably need to kick in about $9MM. That would bring the cost down to match the free agent commitment made to Mike Pelfrey.

Nolasco would be acquired as a pure innings eater, so this isn't the type of deal I see the Phillies pursuing aggressively. Instead, if they fail to add enough rotation depth by early February, I could then see a trade happening.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast