Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: liking posts?

liking posts?

A lot of other forums give you the ability to like a post. It'd be be cool if that was an option here. Maybe like a thumbs up / thumbs down option on all posts?
    Smart Person List: BRAVE KID, Beldugo, flea, Jeffy25

Not going to happen. Mods will say they tried it before 10 years ago and it "didn't work" or something like that.

I ran a forum with about 250 active members, and eventually, we had to nerf the reputation system because some of the posters proved they couldn't handle it.

The issue at play is that, to have a Thanks/Groan or Thumbs Up, or Like button, you need to have the entire vBulletin reputation system enabled. As an admin, you can not control the settings for the default system. People can use that default system to leave insults and bait other posters privately, so I can see where a forum where there are 500-plus people online at any given time would have a huge issue making sure it's used as intended. It's one of those situations where the few who would abuse it make it so the many can't use it the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    It's one of those situations where the few who would abuse it make it so the many can't use it the right way.
    Well said.

The fact of the matter is this:
    Most internet forums have way too many idiots to make something like that feasible.

Unless, of course, it's the kind of place over-run by needy social media validation-whores whose whole life revolves around "likes" and "upvotes".

I'd hate to think PSD has gotten that pathetic.
    An itchy trigger finger with the Report Button on speed dial.

What others are saying about JV35:
    In His Short Time At PSD--Already Established As A Living Legend...
    A Throwback To The Days Of Honor--A True Stand Up Guy...
    The Personification Of GOAT--An American Treasure...

I ran a forum with about 250 active members, and eventually, we had to nerf the reputation system because some of the posters proved they couldn't handle it.

The issue at play is that, to have a Thanks/Groan or Thumbs Up, or Like button, you need to have the entire vBulletin reputation system enabled. As an admin, you can not control the settings for the default system. People can use that default system to leave insults and bait other posters privately, so I can see where a forum where there are 500-plus people online at any given time would have a huge issue making sure it's used as intended. It's one of those situations where the few who would abuse it make it so the many can't use it the right way.
    Interesting.

This forum is pretty dead now that I used to go to, it has a rep system. That was the BEST forum I had ever been on. It was only for Packers stuff and slowly members died off. But literally nobody ever fought or made a worthless comment. People were always helping others and not mocking dumb questions, etc.

But yeah I suppose the more and more people....

This wasn't jsut a like thing, there was rep points and you could give them to others. Whatever that is called.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    Boobs. I was eating *** one time and she farted

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Interesting.

This forum is pretty dead now that I used to go to, it has a rep system. That was the BEST forum I had ever been on. It was only for Packers stuff and slowly members died off. But literally nobody ever fought or made a worthless comment. People were always helping others and not mocking dumb questions, etc.

But yeah I suppose the more and more people....

This wasn't jsut a like thing, there was rep points and you could give them to others. Whatever that is called.
    The little scale icon located at the bottom of each post? That's the basic vBulletin reputation system, but what I was referring to earlier, you can make open comments through it if you wanted to and that is where some abuse can come from.

Also, the forum you are referencing, so far as that kind of community you had, is pretty rare, and likely only due to the fact you guys were Packers fans.

The little scale icon located at the bottom of each post? That's the basic vBulletin reputation system, but what I was referring to earlier, you can make open comments through it if you wanted to and that is where some abuse can come from.

Also, the forum you are referencing, so far as that kind of community you had, is pretty rare, and likely only due to the fact you guys were Packers fans.
    I think it was a number, so like if someone made a good post, you would click basically a like button. But there was a multiplier like 1 like got you one point but if you got like 10, you got like 100 points. If that makes any sense, it's not the same anymore and I don't go there but yeah.

I think it was kind of a thing that was bred that way, once everyone behaved, everyone else wanted to. Ya know? I can tell you that GB fans do not get along very well usually lol. But it was also pretty underground, where most of us were referred there and not guys who randomly found it. So generally you don't invite crappy posters.

I can see what you mean though. But it felt like with rep points I would literally go out of my way to be as helpful as possible a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    Boobs. I was eating *** one time and she farted

My boxing forum has this and it's awesome, but I got sick and had to vomit in the toilet when Norm said another forum is the best he's ever been on and it wasn't PSD. Seriously ill.