Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cleveland Indians Spring Training 2015

Welcome to the 2015 Season...

Spring training.. that time when hope springs eternal.. Every team has hopes of playing meaningful games late into October...

Some high points to consider..

1. Spring Training.. what you need to know about Goodyear Arizona:

GOODYEAR BALLPARK is located on the far west side of Phoenix proper. It is one of several new parks domiciling 15 teams, all within an hour of each other. Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport is one means to arrive near the park. There are literally hundreds of hotels and suites and rentals and other forms to stay once in the area..

TICKETS: Buy them before you leave for Spring Training. With few exceptions, the games will be played on schedule, on time as the weather is almost always incredible. Berm seats and fixed seats are all good.

2. THE BATTLES: Not many coming for this squad.. it's a pretty well set lineup.. The questions that remain include response from off season surgery and health, last spot in the starting pitching rotation, the last two spots in the pen and the make up of the last man on the bench.

A trade could derail this seemingly complete situation. Incredible performance could also upset the apple cart..

Four week from today, and the start of the new season begins in earnest. Nice (9) days later, the Indians face off against the Reds in the Spring Training opener..

Thoughts?..

saw the tribe lost 0-10 to that team from kentu...i mean ohio...i'll catch the replay on sto if possible
    ....coooookie

First spring training game..nice to have baseball back.. Not much offense by the tribe.. they didn't seem to get anything going until they had two outs.. The one chance they did have to score (two on, nobody out) concluded with three straight punch outs..

Another day.. another game..

A nice offensive showing would be nice..

Well.. hmm... sometimes..I like to take a note or two during a game.. and come back to it after the game is over.. for example.. Game two of the Cactus League 2015 for the Tribe..

The first inning.. Josh Tomlin on the hill.. First batter.. Billy "the Babe" Hamilton smacks a high FB over the fence in RC.. Double double and another run scores.. Everything is up and being hit hard..even the foul balls.. then, fourth batter.. everything is now down in the zone.. and Tomlin is getting outs.. a typical Josh Tomlin outing. can't get the ball down to start the inning.. gets hammered.. finds it.. and is effective.. 2-0 after a half inning..

Bourn, stings the third pitch on a line to the RF'er.. Lindor at bat..watches strike one.. watches ball one.watches ball two.swings at ball three.. gets a seeing eye single up the middle.. and was fooled on the pitch... Lindor looks like he's put on some weight..he's got a real frame to work with.. Raburn looks like a pitcher hitting.. swings at everything and misses by a mile.. strikes out and looks really bad doing it.. Bat is too slow and he can't adjust to an off speed pitch. Just like last year... Next up: Zach Walters playing 3B today.... looks ready to go.. ball one.. nice take..was fooled on a high/hanging curve ball that he fouled off..off speed swing over the ball..to bring the count to 1-2.. hanging tough.. two pitches.. two foul balls..and can't catch up with the high heat..stranding Lindor at 1B.. Not a bad at bat.. end of one 2-0 reds.

Tomlin mowed em down in the top of the second.. three up, three down, nothing across.. fast inning, too...

After the Indians score on a very nice swinging double up the alley in RF by Moncrief (plated on a sac fly by Perez) E-gonz playing 2B comes up with an instinct play to bail out Aguilar at 1B and the trouble he has with Hamilton's speed.. TJ House cruises the rest of the way through his first inning of work.. 2-1 after two in Goodyear..

Second at bat for Lindor.. he goes the other way for a single.. two AB's.. two hits.. Raburn lucks into a single off the mitt of a minor leaguer playing in a ST game..runners at first and second..one down.. with Walters at bat..slams a high Fly Ball close to a souvenier for someone.. but, just a long out against the wall in RF for Zach.. Up comes Mr RBI from last season.. gives him a chance to show he can get the runs in.. but. alas. not to be.. Mighty Jesus has grounded into a FC 5 to 4.. end of the inning.. still 2-1 Reds..

Like to see a pitcher like House.. right after it.. no dilly-dallying.. gets the ball.. throws the ball.. done.. three up three down.. nothing across.. fast and efficient.. nice work by TJ House today...

STO has lost the broadcast picture.. COME ON GUYS..

Ryan Raburn makes catches all over the place in RF as CC Lee gives up SCREAMING line drives all over the place. None fell in, but, could have.. CC Lee <== tradable.. very tradable.. If the Indians can get a bucket of Bubllicious for him... they should make that trade.. He's not fooling anyone...

Nick Maronde was impressive with his FB/CH mix..At this point in most ST game.. the lineup looks pretty scattered. There are going to be more good plays (like the Jimmy Ramsey play in CF).. but, it's mostly a who's that playing kind of affair..the Reds have replaced their ENTIRE roster for the bottom of the sixth..

Second game.. still not much offense.. perhaps in the next game.. we'll see..

2 weeks without a post in the Tribe forum...man, the fans can't wait to watch this Juggernaut!!!

Honestly, this is really sad. This town is filled with baseball fans...they just don't trust that the ownership is behind putting a winner on the field. Tough to grow attached to these guys because they either leave via free agency or get traded because they don't want to pay them. Hopefully some of the draft picks over the past few years will actually turn into something soon and we can see this team make a run while they still have Brantley, Kipnis, Santana, Gomes, and company...otherwise, this franchise is doomed to revert back to the 80's in terms of support.

I guess Swisher wont be ready for opening day. wooo! He's been a blessing.
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

So...the rotation will be Kluber, Carrasco, Bauer, McAllister, and House. And the pundits have this team winning it all? No offense, but...who in that group, aside from Kluber, would you be confident in giving the baseball to when you NEED to win a big game? Who in that group has even proven that they can stick in the rotation for a whole season other than Kluber?
    I hope they know what they are talking about and that we have an October to remember...but I won't be buying in until I see them at or near the top of the division come August.

And make no mention of how this team is going to score runs! Hoping for a lot of people to have comeback years (Swisher, Bourn, Kipnis, Santana), breakout years (Gomes, Moss, Ramirez, Chisenhall), and hoping that Brantley continues his MVP type year from 2014.

The roster is really starting to take shape, with only a couple of questions to be answered...

It looks like the starting pitching staff heading to Houston will be Kluber, Carrasco, Bauer, McAllister and House. Danny Salazar, having options and a poor spring finds himself heading temporarily to Columbus.. he'll be back. Shaun Marcum, Josh Tomlin will join Salazar in C-Bus..

The relief staff with McAllister's replacement, Swarzak, has Cody, Atch, Hags, Crock, Scrabble and Shaw, for sure. The question becomes.. who's the last man added.. it certainly isn't CC Lee.. but could be (and should be) Austin Adams, if, the Indians believe they need the extra arm in the pen to start the year.

Otherwise.. it's a question of Jerry Sands, Tyler Holt or the arm.. This is going to be "nail biting time" during the coming week.. Last chance to sway the Indians hierarchy..

Just a guess.. it will be the arm.. unless a trade is made.. then the roster-bation begins anew..

Thoughts?..

Quote Originally Posted by browniebuck View Post
    So...the rotation will be Kluber, Carrasco, Bauer, McAllister, and House. And the pundits have this team winning it all? No offense, but...who in that group, aside from Kluber, would you be confident in giving the baseball to when you NEED to win a big game? Who in that group has even proven that they can stick in the rotation for a whole season other than Kluber?
    I hope they know what they are talking about and that we have an October to remember...but I won't be buying in until I see them at or near the top of the division come August.
    Yeah I'm not sure I buy it either, but we have a top 5 manager and one of the best pitching coaches so hopefully they can build off of what they did in the second half of last year. I'll take a little Indian buzz. I'd love try and hit up an Indian's day game followed up by a Cavs playoff win this spring.

#DoubleNickels

The Indians will open the 2015 spring training schedule with three games against the Reds at Goodyear Ballpark in Goodyear, Arizona.