Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ask a mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by Lionsfanfromsac View Post
    I'm slowly restoring a 1971 Chevy Nova that hasn't started in over 34 years. It was garaged, covered & on jacks that whole time. I bought it three years ago & recently found a decent mechanic who I trusted to start working on it. Three months later it came to life!

1) My first question is the Tires are new from 1997 & haven't touched the road untill 2 weeks ago. I'm hearing conflicting things from different sources. Some say that the tires are fine because they were constructed differently back them. The other side says that rubber naturally breaks down whether you use them or not & thus are unsafe.

I'd appreciate any info/opinions...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) it's a stock standard nova that happens to have a SS fender & hood, 4speed manual rock crusher transmission & a 350 engine. Someone suggested I make it a tribute car & make it look like a SS, others say keep it the way it was meant to be. I'm conflicted because most of the work (engine, tranny body work & primer) were already done prior to me purchasing it. And I'd like to not spend money unnecessarily.

I don't flip cars, I don't have this as a hobby I'm gifting it to my wife who loves classic muscle cars & came across this from my uncle who had hopes/ dreams of rebuilding it. I don't want to screw it up nor do I want people (who know far more than me) laugh because of the choices I made.

Thanks guys.
    I generally like staying as much stock as possible but I changed my headlights to after market headlights. The car purists were like yuck but most people like my new clear lenses instead of my old faded/scratched stock lenses. The big key is you plan to keep the car so any changes that may or may not effect resale do not effect you. My advice is make the car your car. Do whatever changes you want to the car within reason (no crazy fan spoilers or ridiculous exhaust) but also keep the stock parts just in case you change your mind about selling the car down the road.
    I'm always happy to discuss anything from hoops, to hockey, to reality TV with anyone that is polite regardless of their opinion. With that said if you are disrespectful, dishonest, or an extremist type poster I may not waste my time replying to you.

Quote Originally Posted by SLY WILLIAMS View Post
    I generally like staying as much stock as possible but I changed my headlights to after market headlights. The car purists were like yuck but most people like my new clear lenses instead of my old faded/scratched stock lenses. The big key is you plan to keep the car so any changes that may or may not effect resale do not effect you. My advice is make the car your car. Do whatever changes you want to the car within reason (no crazy fan spoilers or ridiculous exhaust) but also keep the stock parts just in case you change your mind about selling the car down the road.
    Thanks sly, we have no intentions on selling it, but I see your point. I guess I should care less about what other people think, & more on keeping the wife happy! Lol... The SS idea is tempting, but I don't want a huge bullseye on the car as it will be driven everyday.

^^ currently playing^^

click here to join the Lions Forum
    6 Time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12, #14 & #24
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    LFFS is the master at going from goofball to boss

Thanks sly, we have no intentions on selling it, but I see your point. I guess I should care less about what other people think, & more on keeping the wife happy! Lol... The SS idea is tempting, but I don't want a huge bullseye on the car as it will be driven everyday.
    Happy Wife, Happy Life?

I agree with you. It is your car. Do whatever you and your wive wants to do to it. Do not worry about what other people think. If you do replace some of the OEM stock parts you can either put them in storage or sell them. Enjoy the car!!!
    I'm always happy to discuss anything from hoops, to hockey, to reality TV with anyone that is polite regardless of their opinion. With that said if you are disrespectful, dishonest, or an extremist type poster I may not waste my time replying to you.

Regarding the '71 nova:

Just installed a new radiator, some new hoses, fixed a small fuel leak, bought new wheels & tires. The suspension will be replaced/reinforced- it should be ready to pick up tomorrow.

My question is, do you guys have alarms? I have friends on both sides of the arguments. One side saying they do no good, no one pays attention & can be easily bypassed. Others say do it, it's better than nothing.

I recently met someone who suggested a couple of things:
    Install multiple kill switches
    Or
    Install a battery kill switch.

Amy thoughts on the topic?

^^ currently playing^^

Regarding the '71 nova:

Just installed a new radiator, some new hoses, fixed a small fuel leak, bought new wheels & tires. The suspension will be replaced/reinforced- it should be ready to pick up tomorrow.

My question is, do you guys have alarms? I have friends on both sides of the arguments. One side saying they do no good, no one pays attention & can be easily bypassed. Others say do it, it's better than nothing.

I recently met someone who suggested a couple of things:
    Install multiple kill switches
    Or
    Install a battery kill switch.

Amy thoughts on the topic?
    What kind of suspension? Did you change the brake setup?

Sounds like you are well on your way. I hope you take lots of pictures during the before and after process.

Lojack? Though that costs some money.

Had a buddy that would just pull the fuse for his fuel pump if he was in downtown Denver. Same idea behind it as a kill switch... just 99% of the time he didn't feel like he needed one.

And nice choice on the car by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by slashsnake View Post
    Lojack? Though that costs some money.

Had a buddy that would just pull the fuse for his fuel pump if he was in downtown Denver. Same idea behind it as a kill switch... just 99% of the time he didn't feel like he needed one.

And nice choice on the car by the way.
    Thanks for the idea slash, I never thought of cutting the fuel supply.... Good looking out!

^^ currently playing^^

Thanks for the idea slash, I never thought of cutting the fuel supply.... Good looking out!
    Yeah, I can only tell you my thoughts, but I don't think that would be something a car thief would be expecting..

Quote Originally Posted by xfrodobagginsx View Post
    Engine Coolant dripping from oil pan. Any ideas what could cause it?
    From the pain as in the outer edges around the bolts or from the drain plug? I would assume its leaking higher and running down to the pan.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12