Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Pat Riley, Davey Johnson
    Word on the street is that Mike Smith will be let go after the season by the Falcons. I would definitely target him. He is a defensive minded coach who is well liked by his players.

Quote Originally Posted by eeek78 View Post
    Word on the street is that Mike Smith will be let go after the season by the Falcons. I would definitely target him. He is a defensive minded coach who is well liked by his players.
    As a DC or a HC?

I started this thread when things were so dark. Tom is not going anywhere. He will be back next year. I hope they replace Fewell but my gut is that everyone will be returning.

As a DC or a HC?
    As HC. I think a guy like him would let McAdoo run the offense. The fact that he is well like by his players is a plus. The guy is pretty fiery as well which I like.

This is all hypothetical as TC will most likely be back. For DC I want Spags or McDermott (if he is let go by Carolina). Rex would be awesome as well, but I don't see us going in that direction. He would allow us to have our DRC and Prince Islands.

This team isn't close to having the bodies for a 3-4 defense imo. Rex would be a bad fit. As any 3-4 coordinator would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    I started this thread when things were so dark. Tom is not going anywhere. He will be back next year. I hope they replace Fewell but my gut is that everyone will be returning.
    Yep my gut feeling is telling me the same and I don't like it...
    Last edited by Giants-NL-3; 12-22-2014 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU View Post
    This team isn't close to having the bodies for a 3-4 defense imo. Rex would be a bad fit. As any 3-4 coordinator would be.
    I disagree. 3-4 defenses now aren't what they were 5-10 years ago. It's all about versatility and multiplicity. It's not really just that big bodied 0 nose, long 2 gapping 5 techs type of defense that it used to be. Even defenses titled as "3-4" right now can be significantly different in what they do. A lot of 3-4 defenses are either base under fronts (what we run with Fewell a lot just from 4-3 with less adaptability) or a 1 gap movement defense (line up in a 3-4 and at the snap slant and move guys around into over/under fronts). There isn't a ton of inherent difference between 3-4 and 4-3 right now in the NFL.

Hankins can play any nose. Be it head up 0 or a shaded 1 tech, 2 gap or 1 gap. Cullen Jenkins came from 3-4 defenses and plays 3 technique and 5 technique end in base under fronts for us. He would transition smoothly, and I think Bromley is cut from the same cloth as Jenkins. A lot of 3-4 defenses have a "rush" LB which is really no different than playing DE, meaning JPP if brought back and Moore could just get after the passer. I think Wynn as a LE/3T type in a 4-3 with length transitions smoothly to playing DE in a 3-4 in either style. Ayers probably the most questionable but at the very least he could be a highly impactful sub rusher, and he too could probably play the 5 technique if it was more a one gap up the field style. Kennard's best position is at SAM, whether 3-4 or 4-3. 3-4 he may even become more of an impact player because I think he's a better pass rusher than people realize. McClain comes from a 3-4.

And then theres the fact that its a nickel driven league and a lot of 3-4 teams are really in 4 man fronts from sub packages a lot of the time anyway. And Rex is a genius. Talent is talent, and he just fits what he does schematically to the players he's given instead of trying to force his scheme onto the players he has. And I honestly couldn't care less about the rest of the personnel. We have Rex personnel. DRC and Prince. The creativity he'd be allowed with 2 corners you can trust on an island in man press would be awesome.

I really couldn't see Rex ever coaching the Giants, but man would I love him as a DC.
    X's and O's Breakdown of each of Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Interceptions

I trust what you're saying sean. But I'll just agree to disagree on this one. Maybe I'm biased against 3-4 defenses. Or maybe it's just because I'm use to having a ****** defensive coordinator who doesn't bring out the best in his guys on the field. I just don't see it.

I don't think it matters with Rex. If we really are better suited for 4-3, I bet he could run that too and work in some hybrid stuff.

My hesitation with moving to a 3-4 is more about what happens with our LB crew. Guys like Paysinger, Williams and even Beason make it tricky.

I gotta believe you'd play JPP and Moore at OLB, maybe McClain. So Kennard and Beason inside? Lose Spitty P and Williams?

Honestly I really don't care what style, I just want a new DC who is creative and aggressive. We have talent that is going to waste in this soft vanilla Fewell defense.

Va...heart between Giants Stadium and MSG
    I don't think Fewell will be back. We have to many blown assignments in the secondary ...year after year under Fewell. I'd be surprised if he's back after this season.

TC wants to be a HC...I wouldn't mind having him back but I wouldn't be upset if the Giants organization went in a different direction. I just think it probably would benefit TC more if he resigned and got a fresh start instead of being a lame duck HC....he'd get picked up fast by another team.

Im pretty sure if we start off bad again next year he'll get fired in the middle of the season. Don't want him to go out like that.
    Last edited by Missing56&33; 12-22-2014 at 02:23 PM.

Giants would never fire Coughlin mid season.

I don't think it matters with Rex. If we really are better suited for 4-3, I bet he could run that too and work in some hybrid stuff.

My hesitation with moving to a 3-4 is more about what happens with our LB crew. Guys like Paysinger, Williams and even Beason make it tricky.

I gotta believe you'd play JPP and Moore at OLB, maybe McClain. So Kennard and Beason inside? Lose Spitty P and Williams?

Honestly I really don't care what style, I just want a new DC who is creative and aggressive. We have talent that is going to waste in this soft vanilla Fewell defense.
    Agreed, especially about the LB corps. Coverage-wise I can't see Kennard and Beason getting it done in the middle, so either Kennard has to move outside or Beason must go.

Another thing that would worry me is Kerry Wynn's strength. He's done a more than solid job at LE, but I still have feeling he needs to gain strength to work the 3-tech LE in a 3-4 consistently. Ayers grossly underperformed in the 3-4 D in Denver btw, just seems like a natural 4-3 LE to me.

Finally I'm afraid it decreases Hankins production when he's asked to be the nose. I trust Sean in his analysis, but still I think that we right now have a DT that almost puts up Suh-like production. It would be a shame to 'waste' (little exaggerated I know) that at the NT position...

So I think we could play it, but I think our players are better suited for a 4-3 at the moment...

Kennard would play OLB in 3-4. Sam. On the LOS. No different that what he does now in our base defense. Versatility in nickel. Could play end and rush or could play off the LOS. Not a true coverage backer, because he doesn't have the fluidity, but intelligent in seeing route concepts, physical with TEs at the LOS, and good in zone and for zone/blitz stuff.

Here's how I'd do it with our current defense + JPP:

.................................Will: FA/Draft .................................. Mike: Beason
    Rush: JPP .................................................. .................................................. ............................. Sam: Kennard
    ..........................3T: Bromley ....................... 1T: Hankins ................................... 5T: Wynn
    ......... LT ........................ LG .......................... C ........................ RG ...................... RT ............... TE

McClain/Beason/Kennard cant be on the field together, so we need somebody else at Will. McClain can back up Kennard at Sam and Beason at Mike. Bring back Williams as a reserve coverage backer, and draft or sign a legitimate active Will backer who can cover well, match up with TEs/RBs, and play 3 downs.

Jenkins can play at both 5 tech and 3 tech, good rotation there. Moore can play in sub packages at LE. He can rep at Rush OLB as well if JPP ever needs to come off. If he gets heavier and its a one gap scheme he could play at the 5 technique - he actually did it pretty well towards the end of last year. Ayers can play at both 5 tech, 3 tech, and DE/OLB in sub packages as well. Same need up front for us as if we stay with a 4-3, need another big NT to rotate for Hankins other than Kuhn, who's gotta go.

And agreed with G, a coach like Rex will just find a way to make the personnel work within any scheme. Which we need, because we have talent. We had way too much talent that saw too little time on the field this year that deserved it before injuries.

Once again, my disclaimer, I don't remotely believe the Giants will pursue him as a DC, but I would love it.

man we really have guys to get after the QB if properly deployed: Ayers, Wynn, Moore, Hank, Bromley, Jenkins, Kennard, McClain is a good blitzer, hopefully JPP is back. It's kind of exciting, except the fact I'm starting to get the feeling Fewell will be excused by injuries and be back.

Ha, I've never seen anyone map out a 3-4 defense in text form like that. Nice work.

Random rant: I really wish Madden would get more intelligent with their depth charts. LOLB and ROLB? **** off. Teach players SAM and WILL and have depth charts fit schemes so I don't have Williams at SAM every damn time an offense flips their formation. Same with DT spots, nickel LBs, etc. Should be a strategic depth chart, like for each formation, not just ranking guys in order. Add that to 100 other Madden rants. ****ing exclusivity; I bet an NFL2k15 would get it right.

....sorry I'm off of work for the holidays and spending too much time finally playing Madden.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast