Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Picture/GIF link "preview" function

I'm not really sure what to call this since I'm not versed in programming or anything of the like.

But I know the forum doesn't allow posting of images and gif's, most probably because it slows load times and puts more stress on the server to load all these off site linked images.

What about how imgur does it in their comment sections? When you go to imgur.com and browse through a post, the comments allow you to post a link to an image/gif, and you can simply hover over it and a "preview" (not sure what else to call it), will pop up showing it to you without actually having to click it.

Is that possible to incorporate into the forums?

Don't take my word for it, but I just checked a few pages of the vBulletin.org resource forum, and couldn't find a modification that fits that kind of description, and I'd actually like it for my own site.

The other issue with vBulletin is that, while they have gotten better over the years of providing features that forum owners want, there are still plenty of features they don't have, so independent developers code modifications. In all cases, vBulletin's official tech support won't help with any issue you have if you have any active modifications installed on your site that mess with the code (so ads and skins/graphics are free to be added/changed.)

That's the Cliff Notes version, not the answer you were looking for but it's the answer I found.

As I mentioned, this kind of thing isn't my bag (baby)

But is it easier for imgur to do it because well for one thing it's reddit's image hosting site, so all (or most) of the images are already on imgur's servers? On that note though, their comment section does allow for the previews also to link and preview to youtube video's as well, which is certainly not hosted on their servers.

Thanks for the reply and for checking into it ThomasTomasz

Quote Originally Posted by Eagles_Guy View Post
    As I mentioned, this kind of thing isn't my bag (baby)

But is it easier for imgur to do it because well for one thing it's reddit's image hosting site, so all (or most) of the images are already on imgur's servers? On that note though, their comment section does allow for the previews also to link and preview to youtube video's as well, which is certainly not hosted on their servers.

Thanks for the reply and for checking into it ThomasTomasz
    Yeah, while I own my own vB site and have many years of experience on the back-end, the coding and modifications were something I learned to do and just have enough knowledge to "get by."

My guess is that it has something to do with the images being hosted on the site, or at least being able to be "referenced locally" or something along those lines. I've noticed on the IMG tags here, that option is removed. I can't speak as to exactly why, but considering how much space GIFs take up when they are stored on a site, it would take quite a bit of server resources to keep PSD up.

You could have a link to Youtube automatically put up here if you posted the link in a thread, but I imagine that is disabled so it doesn't hold up load times for people.