Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 441 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 6602
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    11,308
    I think a good trade would be Nolin and John Stilson for Ken Giles and Justin De Fratus. Giles has future closer in him and is stuck behind Papelbon and it's been reported that they really like Nolin and need pitching.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,158
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceUpperCut View Post
    Maybe his contract is ridiculous but being Canadian has nothing to do with wanting Votto here, he had an injury riddled year last season but he is an absolute monster lefty bat who gets on base better then Jose and a great defensive 1B. He would be amazing here I don't care if he's Turkestan or Canada he might be the best fit in between Bats and EE you could find.
    This.

    If money is no option, then this is a contract we should be able to go for if it helps the team win right a championship in the next couple years. Votto is a GREAT player on both sides of the ball, there is a reason why Cinci gave him such a mega deal to keep him in Ohio until he retired. I wouldn't be against trading for him and only keeping him for 2 or 3 years and then shipping him back out before he started to decline too much. Keep him for 3 or 4 years and his average salary over that time would be around 19-20 Million. Best of all, he only makes 14M in 2015, so it would still leave money for the 2015 season to keep adding.

    If we had the assets, I would LOVE to trade for Votto. He's isn't going to be a salary dump though, and we don't really have anything to offer them though other than Stroman, Sanchez and Norris...

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,511
    I love Votto as well, but I just can't see it happening. The guaranteed money, the length of the term, the prospects we'd have to give up... it'd be a difficult deal to put together, but AA has pulled off some doozies in the past!

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    54,756
    Yea he's getting paid as much as $25 mil per year until he's 40. And considering he's still able to produce great for the time being, you're going to have to trade a combination of Stroman, Sanchez, Pompey, Norris, Hoffman, etc.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    11,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    Yea he's getting paid as much as $25 mil per year until he's 40. And considering he's still able to produce great for the time being, you're going to have to trade a combination of Stroman, Sanchez, Pompey, Norris, Hoffman, etc.
    I don't think it would take a load of prospects. I bet Cincy would almost give him away to get out of that contract.
    Last edited by LanceUpperCut; 11-27-2014 at 07:56 PM.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    35,789
    Quote Originally Posted by ocanada View Post
    if votto weren't Canadian, his name and contract would never even be considered.
    We're talking about a former MVP here not just some average player who happens to be from here.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    37,527
    we're not getting Votto.. no point in discussing it

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    West Side
    Posts
    11,471
    Lol where did this idea to get Votto come from?

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,805
    Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    Lol where did this idea to get Votto come from?
    He's a Torontonian. Went to the same high school I did actually... Obviously he's going to play for the blue jays.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    T.O., Canada
    Posts
    15,313
    Aren't we right in the middle of the market telling everyone LH 1B/DH types aren't worth as much they once were, particularly the ones without elite power? Love Votto but that's a bad, bad contract.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    37,527
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009mvp View Post
    Aren't we right in the middle of the market telling everyone LH 1B/DH types aren't worth as much they once were, particularly the ones without elite power? Love Votto but that's a bad, bad contract.
    exactly, hes not even worth getting with that contract, let alone giving away the entire farm to to so

    i mean hes great at getting on base and his Saber numbers might look good but his counting stats have looked bad for a few years now

    i know that isn't what the saber fans like to hear but if i'm paying a guy 25 million dollars to play 1B, he better be hitting 30+ HRs and dirving in 100+ every year and hes done or come close to doing that twice in his career

    hes 31 now and seems like injuries are already starting to affect him

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    54,756
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceUpperCut View Post
    I don't think it would take a load of prospects. I bet Cincy would almost give him away to get out of that contract.
    Well if teams are like in the division and need to make a push at the deadline, he's the perfect candidate to overpay for. He can still be elite for the next couple of years so if it gets the core closer to the WS, teams will give up some really good for him.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,094
    Hell no ~~

    Just compare the prime performance 1B this decade, their contract rewarded and consequent demise of current club

    Yankees - Mark Texiera (22m/year 2016)
    Phillies - Ryan Howard (25m/year 2015)
    Rangers - Prince Fielder (24m/year 2021)
    Reds - Joey Votto (22m/year 2022)

    I mean, one freak injury easily bury the player and its club for a long long time.

    Rangers skipped the injury-prone Texiera only to fall victim in Prince Fielder fiasco...

    There is a silver lining when Angels bailed us out by absorbing Vernon 'freakin Wells albatross contract

    Now let's just stay cool, thankful and awake to steer away from Mr.Toronto Joey Votto

    Good luck, have fun in Cincinnati. Just don't bite Toronto when all is said and done

    rather take chances on dozens of justin smoak, ike davis, chris *undopped* davis, edwin encarnacion, joe bautista than any mammoth paid super first basemens out there
    Last edited by superfio; 11-28-2014 at 06:31 AM.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,158
    Quote Originally Posted by superfio View Post
    Hell no ~~

    Just compare the prime performance 1B this decade, their contract rewarded and consequent demise of current club

    Yankees - Mark Texiera (22m/year 2016)
    Phillies - Ryan Howard (25m/year 2015)
    Rangers - Prince Fielder (24m/year 2021)
    Reds - Joey Votto (22m/year 2022)

    I mean, one freak injury easily bury the player and its club for a long long time.

    Rangers skipped the injury-prone Texiera only to fall victim in Prince Fielder fiasco...

    There is a silver lining when Angels bailed us out by absorbing Vernon 'freakin Wells albatross contract

    Now let's just stay cool, thankful and awake to steer away from Mr.Toronto Joey Votto

    Good luck, have fun in Cincinnati. Just don't bite Toronto when all is said and done

    rather take chances on dozens of justin smoak, ike davis, chris *undopped* davis, edwin encarnacion, joe bautista than any mammoth paid super first basemens out there


    Are you really saying that the Texeira contract caused a demise of the NY Yankees? The team that has more money than anyone? No single bad contract can destroy a team like the Yankees. They haven't made the playoffs in 2 years, but they aren't in shambles or anything. They overspend on everyone.

    The Phillies also threw money around like it was no object for a while trying to win. I wouldn't say their demise is totally the fault of Ryan Howard. They aren't strapped for cash. What about the 25 Million they paid Cliff Lee this year for his 4 wins?


    The Rangers didn't sign Fielder, the Tigers did. The Tigers also made it to the playoffs both seasons with Fielder, and in 2014 after they traded him away. In total they have made the playoffs each of the last 4 years.....where is the demise of that franchise again? The Rangers were a total debacle in 2014, especially on the mound. I don't think you can blame Fielder for what happened in Texas last year.

    The Reds made the playoffs in 2010, 2012 and 2013. How exactly did Votto cause their demise? His big money years hasn't even kicked in yet, so he isn't even the reason they failed to bring back Choo.



    Sure those long term contracts all mega eventually turn bad near the end, but the first few years you normally get what you are paying for....an elite player that will help you win a lot of games.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    15,976
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceUpperCut View Post
    I don't think it would take a load of prospects. I bet Cincy would almost give him away to get out of that contract.
    The truth is probably in between. I bet one blue chip prospect to save face and a bunch of guys no one heard of would get them to move Votto and get out from under that contract. They aren't a large market club and their payroll is pretty high given that context.

    That said, it's a horrendous contract... I don't think there's any chance in hell the Jays would pick it up.

Page 3 of 441 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •