Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 391 1231151101 ... LastLast

Trade Ideas Thread III

Keep it up Boys!

Again just the same suggestion as the Off Season Thread.....

What about something like Osuna, Nolin and DJ Davis for Latos?

(Asked this in the off season thread, but it probably belongs over here...)

Nolin and Davis have no value so it'd be like Osuna straight up.

Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    I wouldn't say the #10 and #12 prospects in our system (per MLBPipline) have "no value". Those guys are both top 10 prospects in most systems. If Nolin doesn't make it as a starter he could be a solid reliever with his ability to strike people out. He may not be 21, but he's been a solid starter now for the last 4 years, and if not for his injury problems mid season he would have probably had a chance to post an ERA under 3.00 for the 3rd straight year as he rose up through the system.

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    I wouldn't say the #10 and #12 prospects in our system (per MLBPipline) have "no value". Those guys are both top 10 prospects in most systems. If Nolin doesn't make it as a starter he could be a solid reliever with his ability to strike people out. He may not be 21, but he's been a solid starter now for the last 4 years, and if not for his injury problems mid season he would have probably had a chance to post an ERA under 3.00 for the 3rd straight year as he rose up through the system.
    "No value" might have been too harsh but he doesn't have the kind of value that'll entice the Reds to trade away a top of the rotation starter.

Sure, if we want a bullpen piece - Nolin and Davis makes plenty of sense... but not when it comes to talking about an Ace starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    How do they have no value? Davis might have sucked so far but he is still probably are most talented spec at 20 years old. Nolin also has value.

Quote Originally Posted by StayOnBoard View Post
    "No value" might have been too harsh but he doesn't have the kind of value that'll entice the Reds to trade away a top of the rotation starter.

Sure, if we want a bullpen piece - Nolin and Davis makes plenty of sense... but not when it comes to talking about an Ace starter.
    I agree it might not be enough but I'm not sure Latos is an ace starter.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceUpperCut View Post
    I agree it might not be enough but I'm not sure Latos is an ace starter.
    Doesn't matter if he's only a #2 starter, he's still worth orders of magnitude more than someone like Nolin or Davis is....

We REALLY gotta stop overvaluing our prospects in the ~10-15 range... they arent worth much - maybe can be used as trade bait for a RP piece but we're not going to get any top starter on the market for guys with such a low ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by StayOnBoard View Post
    Doesn't matter if he's only a #2 starter, he's still worth orders of magnitude more than someone like Nolin or Davis is....

We REALLY gotta stop overvaluing our prospects in the ~10-15 range... they arent worth much - maybe can be used as trade bait for a RP piece but we're not going to get any top starter on the market for guys with such a low ceiling.
    I'm pretty sure the guy didn't propose a trade of just Nolin or Davis for Latos they where just added onto Osuna. Davis has been trash but he might have the highest ceiling of any positional prospect we have.

I would like to do see what a package for Latos and Bruce would look like.

I'm pretty sure the guy didn't propose a trade of just Nolin or Davis for Latos they where just added onto Osuna. Davis has been trash but he might have the highest ceiling of any positional prospect we have.

I would like to do see what a package for Latos and Bruce would look like.
    Right - I understand that... But like Twitchy said above, then it's basically a one for one type trade, with us giving the Reds some "throw ins" to sweeten the deal.

I really dont' know why the Reds would want to make that move... they're trading a top of the rotation starter for a guy coming off major surgery and 2 MASSIVE question marks. It'd be a pretty brutal trade for Cinci but hey', I'd be all for it from the Jays point of view

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    DJ Davis is a sub 600 OPS bat in A ball. He's young, but he's been so awful that he has next to no value. He struck out 167 times compared to 36 walks. Would you want a guy like that for Bautista? Then that answers your question of whether another team would want him for their star.

Sean Nolin is an at best 5th starter who will probably end up being a good LOOGY. He's going to be 25 and has shown very little in 2 seasons at AAA. Maybe he's a MR, but in terms of trade value, that's negligible.

So no, I don't particularly care if they are the 10/12 prospects in our system. As of today, neither look like promising players, and in a big trade would be lucky to be the final piece. They have so little value that a trade is essentially Osuna for the SP.

How do they have no value? Davis might have sucked so far but he is still probably are most talented spec at 20 years old. Nolin also has value.
    He may be athletic and have talent, but odds are against him using his tools. Look at Gose - he's quite talented, but he can't put his athletic talents to maximize his baseball skills. So no, he has no value. Nolin has a tiny bit of value, but these guys aren't pieces you move in a trade.

As I said before - if this isn't a package you'd take for EE/Bautista, then it probably isn't going to be good enough for Latos. I get Latos is on a 1 year deal, and Bautista is better, but the idea is that if you'll laugh off a prospect package for Jose, Cinci would probably do the same for Latos.

Davis' value is definitely low right now. It's one thing to be tremendously athletic, but if you can't hit a lick.. you're not going to be of much value to a ML club. I would argue that his stock has dropped to the point that he's probably behind Alford - because Alford will get some slack for not being on the field to develop.

I'm hoping that Davis puts things together, but until he either learns to hit, or becomes one heck of a bunter.. his hopes of cracking the show are pretty slim. Even Gose appeared more competent with the bat at that age.

So what would it take then to get Latos Twitch... Norris and Osuna? Norris and Nay? Norris, Osuna and Nay?

It's difficult to say. He's a pending FA but he's still quite talented. Probably Norris and a lower tier guy. I'm not up with the Jays prospects beyond the guys who are close to MLB ready.

I really like Norris & Stroman so I'd put those two as untouchable.

Page 1 of 391 1231151101 ... LastLast