Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Padres reportedly interested in Pablo Sandoval

The source of the Padres rumor: Jon Heyman.

The Padres have interest in Pablo Sandoval, expanding the field of known interested teams in the star third baseman to five.

The Giants have watched a lot of their greats play for the Padres over the decades. Willie McCovey, Jack Clark, uh, Mike Aldrete ... Von Joshua ... really, it's a long list. I wasn't around for the McCovey trade, so I can't pretend like I would know if Sandoval to the Padres would be even more annoying, but I don't think it's a stretch to suggest it would be one of the most annoying pairings possible. The Giants play the Padres 60 times every year; we'd have a lot of chances to watch Panda wistfully, like John Cusack at the end of Being John Malkovich.

If you're laughing at the Padres' ability to spend, don't. Teams with low budgets are teams with reasonable payrolls. Teams with reasonable payrolls are liable to jump into a public restroom and change into their mystery team garb at any second. Don't forget that the Padres signed a sizable TV deal recently. They get upwards of $50 million every year, regardless of how many people actually watch.

Padres intern: The ratings are in! The last game got an eight.
    Padres exec: Hot dog! An eight share! That's just fantastic.

Padres intern: No, eight people. One of them was Bud Black forgetting to turn his TV off.

Padres exec: The vending machine of progress drops its bags of pretzels slowly. I'll take it.

There might be closed-door meetings in which the new Padres' ownership has decided this is the offseason to rustle around and bang on pots and pans. Don't dismiss them.

I mean, dismiss them in general. But don't dismiss them as potential players por Panda, though. It would be a gross mystery team. But it wouldn't be completely insane. I have an actual #source who claims that Sandoval isn't making decisions this week, preferring to wait until he meets with the Red Sox.

Odds of the Giants refusing to outspend the Padres to keep Sandoval: 1,000 to 1. Worth thinking about, though. Worth thinking about. Also, those last two sentences are typos. The "d" and "t" keys are surprisingly close together.
    http://www.mccoveychronicles.com/201...-rumors-padres

Make Pete Rose An Offer He Cannot Refuse

Replaces Chase Headley in a BIG WAY.

It's BS! IF they were going to spend on a big free agent that is not the guy, but like I said it's BS anyway.

What makes you think this? I'm not disagreeing, I'm really asking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel44 View Post
    It's BS! IF they were going to spend on a big free agent that is not the guy, but like I said it's BS anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertDominguez View Post
    What makes you think this? I'm not disagreeing, I'm really asking.
    First of all I appreciate you trying to get this forum up. I'll chime in when I can.

Second, which statement are you asking about? If it's the BS statement it's because the are not going to shell out that kind of contract for anybody. I think their PR floats these stories around to the media to appease the fans. They will never spend that kind of many on any FA.

If its my staement about Sandoval not being the guy. Its because Sandoval is not a difference maker and I think he would disappear in that lineup unless they are planning on signing 2 more hitters as well. They are floating around Adam Laroche's name now, THAT makes more sense to me and I would not be against that, but that again is dependent on them signing at least another bat. For what they theoretically might sign Sandoval for they could sign two solid bats which might not fix that horrible lineup but it would be a good start.

If you dig deep in the old forum, if it still exists I said they should go after Nelson Cruz prior to last year. Think the 8 mil baltimore spent was worth the risk? Those are the kind of player/signings they should be trying to make.

I would appreciate any help I can get, thank you. I saw no one had posted here in over a year and while I am not a fan of the Padres I am a fan of this site. Plus it's the offseason so I have a lot of time on my hands, lol.

I think Sandoval makes the most sense for San Diego than any other free agent. You don't have to worry as much about the drop off in production hitting in Petco Park (see Quentin) because Sandoval has done well in a big stadium in San Francisco. Also the team has a need at third base after losing/trading Headley last season. Third and final reason is the team needs an every day draw, not Cashner, Ross, etc. They need a reason for the fans to come to the ballpark every day, not every fifth day.

First of all I appreciate you trying to get this forum up. I'll chime in when I can.

Second, which statement are you asking about? If it's the BS statement it's because the are not going to shell out that kind of contract for anybody. I think their PR floats these stories around to the media to appease the fans. They will never spend that kind of many on any FA.

If its my staement about Sandoval not being the guy. Its because Sandoval is not a difference maker and I think he would disappear in that lineup unless they are planning on signing 2 more hitters as well. They are floating around Adam Laroche's name now, THAT makes more sense to me and I would not be against that, but that again is dependent on them signing at least another bat. For what they theoretically might sign Sandoval for they could sign two solid bats which might not fix that horrible lineup but it would be a good start.

If you dig deep in the old forum, if it still exists I said they should go after Nelson Cruz prior to last year. Think the 8 mil baltimore spent was worth the risk? Those are the kind of player/signings they should be trying to make.

And I hit send before I was done so I apologize for the post whoring. While I agree it makes more sense for the Padres to sign middle of the road free agents the team has to spend money to make money. The team has a ton of team friendly contracts on the books right now and good afford, presumably, one bigger contract. You would probably know better than I would obviously but this is the opinion of an outsider.

In a vacuum I might somewhat agree with your assessment but history has shown they will not invest money in big FA siginings. Yes they need to spend but I already know they have limitations.

Sandoval is a solid player. On a good team he is a very good player, but I don't see him coming to the Padres and transforming their lineup. He's not a Robinson Cano type difference maker. He would come here and probably hit .280 in a lineup of .220 hitters. He'd would never see a good pitch a la Adrian Gonzales when he was here. To Gonzales' credit he still put up good numbers but he's a much better player than Sandoval. Sandoval is suited on a team like the Red Sox or going back to the Giants.

Now if the Padres were saying let's go all in. Let't bring Sandoval and a LaRoche and then maybe trade for a Justin Upton that would be lineup transforming. That would make Gyrko and Smith much better and I would then say they have addressed their lineup issues. I'm not saying that is my dream scenario, but just throwing one out.

The Padres do have some moiney to spend and if they can get Quentin off the books that's like another 10 million. Sandoval is not going to put me in a seat. Them acknowlodiging they need to remake their entire lineup and bringing in a few proven guys would show me they are serious.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertDominguez View Post
    And I hit send before I was done so I apologize for the post whoring. While I agree it makes more sense for the Padres to sign middle of the road free agents the team has to spend money to make money. The team has a ton of team friendly contracts on the books right now and good afford, presumably, one bigger contract. You would probably know better than I would obviously but this is the opinion of an outsider.

Kiley McDaniel
    ‏@kileymcd
    The reporting on Yasmany Tomas is consistent with what I'm hearing except for one thing: I've been hearing SD is still in the mix up to $70M
    The Twitter.

I understand what you mean. The team will have to do it via trades then because the free agent market does not offer much in the way of offense. Unless you're sold on Hanley Ramirez, I know I'm not.

I think San Diego gets Quentin off the books, I think I read somewhere that he has asked for a trade. Maybe it was that he said he would welcome one if the team approached him with one. Either way it's "PC" for I want out of here.
    In a vacuum I might somewhat agree with your assessment but history has shown they will not invest money in big FA siginings. Yes they need to spend but I already know they have limitations.

Sandoval is a solid player. On a good team he is a very good player, but I don't see him coming to the Padres and transforming their lineup. He's not a Robinson Cano type difference maker. He would come here and probably hit .280 in a lineup of .220 hitters. He'd would never see a good pitch a la Adrian Gonzales when he was here. To Gonzales' credit he still put up good numbers but he's a much better player than Sandoval. Sandoval is suited on a team like the Red Sox or going back to the Giants.

Now if the Padres were saying let's go all in. Let't bring Sandoval and a LaRoche and then maybe trade for a Justin Upton that would be lineup transforming. That would make Gyrko and Smith much better and I would then say they have addressed their lineup issues. I'm not saying that is my dream scenario, but just throwing one out.

The Padres do have some moiney to spend and if they can get Quentin off the books that's like another 10 million. Sandoval is not going to put me in a seat. Them acknowlodiging they need to remake their entire lineup and bringing in a few proven guys would show me they are serious.

the padres have joined the red sox and giants as one of the most aggressive teams on sandoval, reports jon heyman of cbs sports. While the white sox and blue jays have interest they’re not believed to be as aggressive as the other three clubs. Heyman refers to the padres as a “shocking” entrant in the race for a free agent of this caliber, and indeed, few pegged san diego as a serious suitor for the panda heading into the offseason.
    mlbtr

Pablo Sandoval Rumors: Friday
    By Steve Adams [November 21, 2014 at 2:44pm CST]
    As of late last night, the Padres, Red Sox and Giants were said to be the three primary suitors for Pablo Sandoval, with the White Sox and Blue Jays reportedly more on the periphery. As the Panda draws nearer to a decision, we’ll run down the latest rumors from today in this post…

The Padres will make a formal offer to Sandoval today, reports Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (via Twitter). A report last night indicated that the Pads, along with the Red Sox and Giants, were all interested in Sandoval at somewhere in the $90-95MM range over five years.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/1...rs-friday.html

Pablo Sandoval came off the board today signing with the Boston Red Sox.