Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Great summer, Dallas!

The Mavs had an awesome summer and I don't expect them to barely make the playoffs next year. I chose them as one of seven teams to make huge strides in my 2014 Offseason Winners series.

Here's the full write-up:

Just 3 short years ago, the Dallas Mavericks won the NBA title. Last year, they barely made the playoffs, taking the Champion San Antonio Spurs to 7 games before ultimately falling short. With Shawn Marion gone to the Cavaliers, Mark Cuban decided to surround re-signed championship holdover and Mavs franchise hero Dirk Nowitzki (3 years, $25 million) with a healthy mix of veterans and youngsters, drastically improving their odds in the Western Conference.

The heart and soul of the roster remains intact, with Nowitzki and last summer's free agent consolation prize Monta Ellis (who averaged 19.0 PPG in 82 games in 2013-2014) in charge of putting points on the board. Re-signed point guard Devin Harris (4 years, $16 million), sophomore guards Gal Mekel and Ricky Ledo, forward Jae Crowder and 7-year veteran center Brandan Wright (9.1 PPG and 4.6 RPG last season) further ensure continuity.

As you might have noticed, that means key contributors Vince Carter, who left for the Grizzlies, DeJuan Blair (traded to the Wizards), Jose Calderon, Samuel Dalembert, Shane Larkin and Wayne Ellington are gone. The latter foursome was shipped to the New York Knicks for Tyson Chandler (who was let go after the 2011 Championship) and former Bobcats point guard Raymond Felton. The Mavs then outsmarted the capped-out Houston Rockets, signing restricted free agent Chandler Parson to a 3-year, $46 million offer sheet, which Daryl Morey decided not to match.

To shore up the bench, the Mavericks also added amnesty clause casualty Jameer Nelson, Richard Jefferson, Pelicans free agent Al-Farouq Aminu, and big men Greg Smith and Ivan Johnson.

2014-2015 prediction:

Sure, Dallas lost some important pieces, but adding a budding star like Parsons (who averaged 16.6 PPG behind James Harden and Dwight Howard last season) to serve as a third-wheel scorer is kind of a big deal. Head coach Rick Carlisle has a great amount of depth at his disposal - litterally every position is covered - and I can't imagine the Mavs not finishing as a top-5 seed.

"My bro DitchDat writes about the Celtics and the NBA over at Randomandsome.com. Buckets!"

vCash
    tanks for your work !

i thing we lost some players but we got some ...
    biggest steal will be aminu book it! and ledo will be better !
    RC will do his things so the only thing i am worried about are our injurys if we can stay healthy the west finals are possible and IF a big IF we can go into the NBA finals then we will win it 100%, the cavs seem strong but irving and love are not the best defender and lebron hmm lets see what he does with the new cavs. But watch out the bulls too my biggest darkhorse !!!

Andrew Graham:
    "Dallas not a playoff team?? Dirk, Dwight and 13 Adam Morrisons would make the playoffs. "

What do the Mavs say???

vCash
    I definitely like the team however Greg Smith is still unproven. I would have liked to see the Mavs sign a guy like Okefor to back up Tyson.

vCash
    smith will be a steel and then we still have sarge

Andrew Graham:
    "Dallas not a playoff team?? Dirk, Dwight and 13 Adam Morrisons would make the playoffs. "

What do the Mavs say???

vCash
    would yall rather have had stephenson or parsons?

vCash
    Parsons is a better fit for the team and comes with less headaches.