Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

NFL's Halftime Show is now Pay to Play

The NFL Wants Its Super Bowl Halftime Performer to Pay
    By Lindsey Weber8/19/14 at 5:15 PM

Pay up.
    On the one hand, when artists play the highly watched Super Bowl, they stand to get a huge bump in not only album sales but ticket sales for their tours. On the other hand, the NFL has never asked for money before. For the first year in history, The Wall Street Journal reports, the NFL is asking artists (or record labels, rather) to pay for the privilege of headlining the 2015 Super Bowl. They've put out the request to their top three choices: Rihanna, Coldplay, and Katy Perry — who, unsurprisingly, aren't thrilled. "The pay-to-play suggestion got a chilly reception from the candidates' representatives." If they won't pay, the NFL is asking whether the musicians "would be willing to contribute a portion of their post-Super Bowl tour income to the league." A pop star layaway program, you could say. Meanwhile, the amount of money the NFL is asking remains undecided, but I'm sure Katy Perry would be happy to sing the "Are You Ready for Some Football?" song.

NFL's Greed Strikes Again! Considering many of the larger headline acts have been doing this to newer bands for years, I'm surprised it took this long. Interesting thing to me is I know many people only watch the Super Bowl halftime show and not the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    Parity is about equality of opportunity, not equality of results.

vCash
    Is this for ****ing real? What goddamn greed.

The amount of money someone like rihanna has is complete chump change compared to what the nfl pulls in yearly.

Why would they pull such a douchey move for what would be a dime to them.

vCash
    I have no problem with this. Actually, sounds like a great idea.
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

vCash
    Yea I think they should have been doing it sooner. Its the biggest show of the year in any sport and any person doing the halftime show will walk away with a ton... This is a business... The NFL should be doing this. How much the NFL makes is irrelevant overall

Now if I were a celebrity... I would return the favor and say no and offer up all my earnings to charity... this is how you screw the NFL and further make yourself look good.

What was meant for me will be Mine once again... THE CHAMP OF CHAMPS IS BACK

vCash
    I don't see the issue. It doesn't really affect us as fans of the sport.
    I'm In.

vCash
    Louis CK or Seinfeld halftime show. No more bad music!

2013 & 2014 Lions Forum Draft Prediction Game Champion

vCash
    This is awesome

vCash
    It is just one more example of the disrespect musicians get. I am not surprised by the support of big business by so many of you. I am disappointed, but not surprised.

vCash
    Somebody should make a kickstarter campaign to fund some crappy garage band to play the Superbowl.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmsterNat View Post
    How unsurprising. Dude, give up trying to argue with valade. He cut you into little pieces, had you for breakfast, and shat you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Valade you have totally owned this thread. Well done
    My fanbase is growing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Somebody should make a kickstarter campaign to fund some crappy garage band to play the Superbowl.
    Still would be better than the black eyed peas were...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    Paul McCartney, Bruce Springsteen, and Tom Petty all gave great performances.

vCash
    I rarely watch the halftime show, so I really don't care.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thefeckcampaign View Post
    It is just one more example of the disrespect musicians get. I am not surprised by the support of big business by so many of you. I am disappointed, but not surprised.
    Really?

This isn't a case of having a friend over to help you build a deck and asking him to bring 2 or 3 cases of beer and stuff to throw on the grill and by the way, bring your own hammer as well. The SB is a big event. If these musicians you speak of get some advertising out of it, it is not unreasonable to expect them to pay for that advertising.
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    I agree. When I was a kid, my brothers and I would go outside to play catch during the halftime show. Now a days, I go to the grocery store to reload on snacks during the half time show.

Actually, the only halftime show I ever watched was the Michael Jackson halftime show. I think it was 94 or 95.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    Really?

This isn't a case of having a friend over to help you build a deck and asking him to bring 2 or 3 cases of beer and stuff to throw on the grill and by the way, bring your own hammer as well. The SB is a big event. If these musicians you speak of get some advertising out of it, it is not unreasonable to expect them to pay for that advertising.
    This also isn't some two-bit cover band that builds decks during the week. These are all high profile artist and they should be treated with respect. If you do not believe these artist offer the NFL anything, why didn't they just have each team's cheerleaders parade around on the field to some background music?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast