vCash

Post Jets Players Under the Most Pressure to Produce in 2014

I'd have to say:

-Geno Smith
    -Dee Milliner
    -Eric Decker
    -Chris Johnson
    -Antonio Allen

Obviously Geno Smith is at the top of the list. He's coming off a mixed season, where he was praised and doubted from week to week. He has to be more consistent this season especially with the upgrades on offense (Decker and CJ) I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets already have their eye on Winston, Mariota or Hundley three of the top possible QB prospects that will be eligible to declare for the 2015 draft.

Milliner is already starting the season off rocky. A high ankle sprain leaves him questionable for Week 1 and the Jets don't have much proven talent behind him. He was benched repeatedly last season and needs to prove he can be the No. 1 defender he was expected to be out of Alabama.

Decker was exceptional in the last two years. He survived the Tim Tebow era in Denver and was rewarded with Peyton Manning (talk about night and day). But how great of an impact is he going to have without Manning throwing pinpoint passes? Geno isn't the most accurate QB in the league. The new QB-WR tandem could struggle to build a rapport as strong as the Kerley-Smith connection.

CJ is coming to the Jets roster pissed. And rightfully so, he's rushed for over 1,000 yards every year with the Titans but Tennessee still didn't want to pay up. He's only 28 and still has a motor. Let's hope the Jets offensive line can block and create some lanes—if that's possible he'll record another 1,000 yard rushing season for Gang Green.

Antonio Allen is the wildcard here. The fact is he's a seventh-round pick that slipped through the cracks and has taken advantage of every opportunity on the way to the top of the depth chart at CB (Milliner’s injury still lingers) Shame on Kyle Wilson for allowing Allen to leap frog him from the safety position. Allen will make or break the Jets' pass defense. If he's talented enough at the position the Jets will be able to improve on that 22nd ranked pass defense last year.

I also put together an in-depth slideshow analysis on the topic:
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...to-this-season

vCash
    Did you write that article?

vCash
    I can't believe you didn't put one of the most obvious ones-- Quinton Coples! 3rd year in the league, all the talent in the world, and isn't dominating like he should be.

I am not sure I agree on Antonio Allen or Chris Johnson. Allen is an experiment at CB simply due to all the injuries. If he doesn't do well, I am not really sure that is so much on him as it is the coaches. Plus, he could always move back to safety. Chris Johnson is going to be part of a tandem; I think anyone who is expecting him to rush for 1400+ yards and 12 TD's has way too high of expectations.
    PSD's Muhammad Wilkerson!!!

vCash
    I would add Demario Davis to the list. He's expected to have a big season by most.

vCash
    Stephen Hill, and he didn't produce enough.
    Hence him being cut.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    I can't believe you didn't put one of the most obvious ones-- Quinton Coples! 3rd year in the league, all the talent in the world, and isn't dominating like he should be.

I am not sure I agree on Antonio Allen or Chris Johnson. Allen is an experiment at CB simply due to all the injuries. If he doesn't do well, I am not really sure that is so much on him as it is the coaches. Plus, he could always move back to safety. Chris Johnson is going to be part of a tandem; I think anyone who is expecting him to rush for 1400+ yards and 12 TD's has way too high of expectations.
    Why exactly should QCoples be dominating?!!

He's not a natural OLB and it's only his 2nd year playing the position.

QCoples should be good, but to say he should be dominant is putting unrealistic expectations on him.

vCash
    Demario Davis is definitely up there. If he doesn't produce this year, he's gone.

Quinton Coples should be up there.

Not buying Allen or Johnson being up there.

Brian Winters probably should be up there.

Geno is definitely #1 though

vCash
    About Quinton Coples:

The Jets run defense was pretty solid last year (3rd ranked) and I expect them to be solid a consecutive year. The pressure will be who's coming up with the sacks? And I'd say eyeballs will be on Muhammad Wilkerson to repeat a 10.5 sacks season effort.

Sheldon Richardson will be evaluated closely because he'll be shifting to the LDE from the NT position. He is also coming off Defensive Rookie of the Year honors. He's going to garner a lot more spotlight on his play than Coples. Quinton, in my opinion has flown under the radar in terms of expectations. He hasn't flashed greatness at OLB yet but he's a played a decent two seasons with a total of 10 career sacks.

Demario Davis could have made my Honorable Mentions.

CJ is feeling the pressure partially because he has high expectations for himself after being dumped by Tennessee. Also, keep in mind the Jets rush offense was already ranked 6th last year without him. He was brought in to push the needle and be "the guy". We'll see if that happens.
    Last edited by AuthorLysander; 09-02-2014 at 06:52 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorLysander View Post
    About Quinton Coples:

The Jets run defense was pretty solid last year (3rd ranked) and I expect them to be solid a consecutive year. The pressure will be who's coming up with the sacks? And I'd say eyeballs will be on Muhammad Wilkerson to repeat a 10.5 sacks season effort.

Sheldon Richardson will be evaluated closely because he'll be shifting to the LDE from the NT position. He is also coming off Defensive Rookie of the Year honors. He's going to garner a lot more spotlight on his play than Coples. Quinton, in my opinion has flown under the radar in terms of expectations. He hasn't flashed greatness at OLB yet but he's a played a decent two seasons with a total of 10 career sacks.

Demario Davis could have made my Honorable Mentions.

CJ is feeling the pressure partially because he has high expectations for himself after being dumped by Tennessee. Also, keep in mind the Jets rush offense was already ranked 6th last year without him. He was brought in to push the needle and be "the guy". We'll see if that happens.
    Snacks/Ellis is/was the NT and not Sheldon.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    The most pressure to produce is Geno and Milliner.
    If both players produce this year, we should make the playoffs.

vCash
    I read through some Charlotte publications yesterday and the commenters seem to be pretty excited about Stephen Hill signing to the practice squad. They keep talking about his raw ability/athleticism and how their WR coach can develop him, and he's the deep threat they need.

They'll learn soon enough
    Twitter: SteveMcG87

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    The most pressure to produce is Geno and Milliner.
    If both players produce this year, we should make the playoffs.
    This.

If what we saw from Geno in the preseason is any indication, he has definitely improved.
    To me, it seemed that MWeg has modified the offense to better suit Geno's style of play, which is why we saw plenty of pistol, shotgun, read option and misdirection during the preseason.

There will be pressure on Geno to play better, but I'm confident he'll be fine.

Milliner is a question mark.
    The pressure is there, but I don't know what to expect from him.
    I hope we get the hard-nosed, thick-skinned tough CB that went toe to toe with Josh Gordon last year, but I don't know if DMilliner can produce that effort consistently against all types of WRs.

The Jets D will be better for it if he truly is capable of mounting a solid defense against opposing top WRs, and I'd be satisfied with it, even if DMilliner couldn't play the whole field (like DRevis) and could provide solid play on one side (a la RSherman) as long as you can depend on him to make plays or better yet, not allow the offense to make plays.
    Last edited by MrX27; 09-03-2014 at 11:09 AM.

vCash
    How about Brick? He's had 2 awful season's in a row... time for him to get back to the player he was. He's getting a tad overrated

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by XtraPoint View Post
    I read through some Charlotte publications yesterday and the commenters seem to be pretty excited about Stephen Hill signing to the practice squad. They keep talking about his raw ability/athleticism and how their WR coach can develop him, and he's the deep threat they need.

They'll learn soon enough
    But the problem with Stephen Hill in Carolina is going to be the same thing that happened to him here in NY with the Jets-- He is likely going to be rushed too soon into action. Right now, the Panthers top 3 are Kelvin Benjamin, Jerricho Cotchery, and Jason Avant. Sooner than later, Stephen Hill will be in Charlotte.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrX27 View Post
    Why exactly should QCoples be dominating?!!

He's not a natural OLB and it's only his 2nd year playing the position.

QCoples should be good, but to say he should be dominant is putting unrealistic expectations on him.
    He should have more than 10 sacks in 2 seasons; he should have that in ONE!!! 33 year old Calvin Pace had 10 sacks last year and 34 year old Jason Babin had 7.5 on Jacksonville. I don't want to hear the nonsense about he isn't a natural OLB; time for him to start producing and showing why he was a 1st round pick!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast