Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Brendan Haywood's expiring contract next year: Best use?

Last thread. But I really wanted to hear what you guys thought/wanted. Coupling this contract with the fact that salary cap will grow as well in two years...makes me feel better about dealing wiggins because it seems like the Cavs will have the option of getting young talent to fill up the roster or grab another superstar. Going in and locking up a guy who is ready to win now is great, especially when you have assets to use to reload and grab good young players in two years time, at the same time that the young players you traded would be starting to become useful for championship contention. It would be like drafting two young stars, skipping there growing pain years and replacing it with a top 5-8 player, then bringing them back right as they are about to hit super stardom while still keeping your top 5-8 player. Thats what the Cavs could end up essentially doing. If they can flip the expiring and the cap space into young upcoming talent, (like what Kyrie and Deon are now) then the trade with Wiggins and Bennett becomes brilliant.
    Last edited by IKnowHoops; 09-02-2014 at 12:44 PM.

vCash
    Brilliance was what Griffin was after.. or, was that a guy who could hit the outside shot, get a few boards and otherwise, not require the ball to be in his hands..

The concept of this thread is ..what to do with the expiring contracts currently residing with the Cavs..there are a few:

Brendan Hayward: 10.5 MM
    Anderson Varejao: 9.7 MM
    John Lucas, Malcolm Thomas and Erik Murphy: 3.3 MM
    Expected Cap Increase: 3.2 MM (5 to 7 %)

I believe the Cavs have Memphis's first round pick (protected 1-5) and their own (not going to be worth much).. so, they'll have the chance at a top ten pick to fifteen pick with several million in non-guaranteed cap space to play with.. The 2015 draft, unlike the 2014 draft is solid in C/PF's as opposed to SF/wings.. The Cavs may be able to acquire their rim protecting big in the coming draft... while using Brendan Hayward, Tristan Thompson, the Wild Thing and, to a MUCH lesser extent, Kevin Love to play in the middle..

vCash
    Man who are all these new Cavs fans posting on here dont recognize any of them, looks like the bandwagon rollin before we even won a game with he new team

Exposed

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carlessyen View Post
    Man who are all these new Cavs fans posting on here dont recognize any of them, looks like the bandwagon rollin before we even won a game with he new team
    Just wait till the season starts bud. The hate will grow stronger and the bandwagon will become even more full. Lebron has that affect and all those great Heat fans will all of a sudden be Cav fans.

One of the main reasons the NBA might be the worst sport in terms of fandom is because fans mainly root for players/brands and not teams and which is in their right think its cool to jump from team to team always.

You just gotta hope that most of the jumping fans are intelligent one's.

As to the topic, Cavs have to find a team first that will help facilitate a deal for Haywood's 10+mill next year while giving them an asset as you speak of. Usually that doesn't happen anymore at least in terms of say players like Marc Gasol that I know has been brought up in the past without that team receiving young assets or draft picks as well as the non-guaranteed contract. I'm sure they can get something for Haywood next off-season and wont ever say never again after this off-season but I doubt its an All-Star player like some think will just happen for a non-guaranteed player & nothing else. It's a very good trade chip to have but there are date limitations on the contract so hopefully they will be able to get something done.

Best Friends 4-Life!!!

vCash
    I think Denver could still be a trade partner but I don't see Mosgov coming to CLE. I could see the Haywood contract being used for someone like McGee next season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
    I think Denver could still be a trade partner but I don't see Mosgov coming to CLE. I could see the Haywood contract being used for someone like McGee next season.
    Would be a very good fit IMO if he worked on his attitude and didn't continue to expect to get his all the time. Salary is an expiring one in 2016 too so wouldn't be too long-term where still allows for flexibility.

I'm very curious to see what Denver is going to do moving forward. I keep hearing Fariad's name is out there due to them probably not being able to re-sign him in the next 2 years especially with him helping his self during FIBA. Sounds like they do want to get something done with him but money might be an issue if they can't move other guys.

Best Friends 4-Life!!!

vCash
    do you recognize me though?

vCash
    it will be Larry Sanders for Haywood
    Angel

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carlessyen View Post
    I was actually cheering for Bron the last four years while you may not of been. Just still doing the same thing. I'm not trying to claim the Cavs as my team. Don't worry, I know many fans hate that for some reason, but rest assured thats not at all what I am doing. The team is still yours.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Xplicit View Post
    it will be Larry Sanders for Haywood
    I hope not.