Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenta Maeda

vCash

Kenta Maeda

There is another Japanese starter who is coming to MLB....

Kenta Maeda is another Japanese starter who throws a devastating split finger but not as good as Tanaka's....He has 5 quality pitches but again it is different when facing MLB hitters....He is more likely in the 2-4 rotation slot...

He is 26yrs old
    He is 10-7 in 21 starts with a .273 ERA and a .114 WHIP with 116 Ks in 142 innings so far....he is the Carps ace starter....

The question is will the Yankees get scared off of another quality Japanese starter who throws the split?

With Kuroda probably leaving he could be a nice replacement......

Thoughts?
    Last edited by rrzubnyy; 08-31-2014 at 06:09 PM.
    Nick

vCash
    He projects as a back end starter from everything I've read. Those are useful but I don't think he's an upgrade over Pineda, Greene, McCarthy..
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

vCash
    Never heard of him
    10 Rec, 96 YD, 1TD
    injured.....again

vCash
    I followed him along with Tanaka. And he's more likely as NY stated. To be a back of the rotation arm. More likely a 5. We have guys who can do that for a lot less.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU View Post
    I followed him along with Tanaka. And he's more likely as NY stated. To be a back of the rotation arm. More likely a 5. We have guys who can do that for a lot less.
    This post has horrible, horrible sentence structure. I expect better from you RC.
    It should read more like this;
    I followed him along with Tanaka and as NY stated, he is more likely to be a back of the rotation arm. He is more likely a 5. We have guys who can do that for much less.
    "A lot", refers to a piece of land.

vCash
    If he is reasonable, we should consider it. Especially if we really are considering a 6 man rotation. Sign him and one of the big guys (Lester) and McCarthy and go with a six man rotation. Then trade away some of the younger guys if they get proper value.

Tanaka, Lester, CC, Pineda, McCarthy, This Guy is a good 6. Phelps in the pen, then you have in AAA Greene, Mitchell, Banuelos, Whitley, and Nova coming back mid year. With that depth, if they get back good value, you can even trade Greene and Phelps, and if you can always scale back to 5 by midyear if necessary (because of health or you trade someone, say Pineda for a bat).
    Solarte, oh, oh!
    Solarte, oh, oh, oh, oh!

[Nel blu, dipinto di blu
    Felice di stare lassł
    Nel biu, dipinto di blu
    Felice di stare lass]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    This post has horrible, horrible sentence structure. I expect better from you RC.
    I followed him along with Tanaka and as NY stated, he is more likely to be a back of the rotation arm. He is more likely a 5. We have guys who can do that for much less.

Masahiro Tanaka

11-1| 99.2 IP| 10.20 K/9| 1.44 BB/9| 0.90 HR/9| 1.99 ERA| 2.70 FIP| 2.32 xFIP| 2.9 fWAR

vCash

That's was hilarious !!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Laying Low:28986409
    If he is reasonable, we should consider it. Especially if we really are considering a 6 man rotation. Sign him and one of the big guys (Lester) and McCarthy and go with a six man rotation. Then trade away some of the younger guys if they get proper value.

Tanaka, Lester, CC, Pineda, McCarthy, This Guy is a good 6. Phelps in the pen, then you have in AAA Greene, Mitchell, Banuelos, Whitley, and Nova coming back mid year. With that depth, if they get back good value, you can even trade Greene and Phelps, and if you can always scale back to 5 by midyear if necessary (because of health or you trade someone, say Pineda for a bat).
    Easier said than done. Although it does make sense. Things just dont work out that way unfortunately.

vCash
    Also I would prefer having shane greene as my number 5. No need to spend on an unknown when at best he projects as a #4-5 pitcher when you have a ton of those guys in the minors.

Sign a big name pitcher IE. Lester or Sherz , resign Mccarthy if he finishes out the year strong and go with
    TANAKA
    LESTER
    PINEDA
    CC(hopefully) /MCCARTHY
    GREENE/PHELPS

Nova mid season, and let young guys like Mitchell and Sev try and earn a spot in spring training.

vCash

Schooled by a clown!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Laying Low View Post

The 6 man rotation sounds good in theory but it means one less reliever, which will be a problem. John Farrell said today he's going with a 6 man rotation for the rest of the season, but that's just to get a look at some younger guys. When asked if the 6 man rotation for a season, he said the only way it would work would be to have one less position player, which in the AL means you have a 3 man bench instead of a 4 man bench.

There's also the problem of keeping 6 quality arms healthy all year. Teams have a difficult enough time with 5 right now.

One idea that I think MLB should consider is to expand the roster from 25 to 26 or 27. The union would love it, the owners not so much, so it probably doesn't happen.
    <a href=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/29/Ichiro_Suzuki_on_August_1%2C_2012.jpg/240px-Ichiro_Suzuki_on_August_1%2C_2012.jpg target=_blank>http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._1%2C_2012.jpg</a>

BA: .282 HR: ONE! RBI: 20 SB: 12 AGE: 40

vCash
    I'd just go with this!

1.Lester/ Scherzer
    2. Pineda
    3. McCarthy
    4. CC
    5. Greene

I really doubt Tanaka will pitch in 2015, probably getting surgery very soon so he can return in 2016.
    Nick

vCash
    I would consider Maeda for a reasonable posting fee (not Tanaka money), given the recent success the better Japanese pitchers have had in MLB.
    <a href=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/29/Ichiro_Suzuki_on_August_1%2C_2012.jpg/240px-Ichiro_Suzuki_on_August_1%2C_2012.jpg target=_blank>http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._1%2C_2012.jpg</a>

BA: .282 HR: ONE! RBI: 20 SB: 12 AGE: 40

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    The 6 man rotation sounds good in theory but it means one less reliever, which will be a problem. John Farrell said today he's going with a 6 man rotation for the rest of the season, but that's just to get a look at some younger guys. When asked if the 6 man rotation for a season, he said the only way it would work would be to have one less position player, which in the AL means you have a 3 man bench instead of a 4 man bench.

There's also the problem of keeping 6 quality arms healthy all year. Teams have a difficult enough time with 5 right now.

One idea that I think MLB should consider is to expand the roster from 25 to 26 or 27. The union would love it, the owners not so much, so it probably doesn't happen.
    I agree with the roster expansion, but I would even prefer a football like roster in which you could have more players, say 30, but only dress / make eligible for the game say 20 or 22. This would allow you not to use an eligible roster spot for the other starting pitchers in your rotation, unless its their throw day and they could conceivably be used. It would also help teams in not using an eligible roster spot for players who are nicked up, but not hurt enough to be on the disabled list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast