Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 175
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    150
    vCash
    500

    Wally Backman named PCL manager of the year

    Here's to hoping for an epic late season collapse that results in the ouster of Terry "The Buffoon" Collins:

    Unless the major league Mets completely embarrass themselves in September, Terry Collins seems locked in as the manager of the team in 2015. That said, there will still be a large faction of fans that believe that the grission of Wally Backman will turn the Mets into a contender as they are currently constructed.

    That group got a vote of confidence from the Pacific Coast League today when the organization named Backman its 2014 Manager of the Year. The Las Vegas 51s are 80-61 this season and have already clinched a Southern division title.

    It's not as though this is going to convince anyone of anything though. Backman's supporters will see this as a sure sign that he is ready to take the helm of a major league club. His detractors will point to the high amount of talent that the Mets have in Triple-A as the reason the team won so many games.

    So what does this mean? It means that Backman did a good job this year, but it's no reason to just hand him the major league job. Terry Collins may be losing more games than he's winning yet again, but he's kept the Mets fairly competitive considering the roster turnover in the bullpen and a lackluster season from David Wright.
    http://www.amazinavenue.com/2014/8/2...-terry-collins

    Wallyball 2015

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,987
    vCash
    1500
    It won't. Pedro Lopez is in all likelihood the next Met's manager if they are looking for internal candidates.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    15,421
    vCash
    1500
    Backman is basically Terry Collins in the 90's. I don't want him anywhere near our team. The absolute last thing I want for this team is an old school manager...I want the next Joe Maddon.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    150
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    It won't. Pedro Lopez is in all likelihood the next Met's manager if they are looking for internal candidates.
    While I'd hate to see Wally passed over yet again, I wouldn't have a problem going with Lopez in and of itself. Hell, I'd give a trained chimpanzee a shot over TC.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Queens New York
    Posts
    627
    vCash
    1500
    You guys really amaze me with your hate for Collins. Have we all forgotten the Days of Art Howe? That guy was completely clueless. Terry has gotten this team to at least compete.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    16,320
    vCash
    1500
    Nice accomplishment for Wally. His stock is on the rise, and he should eventually land a coaching/manager position in MLB. Kudos to Jeff Wilpon who gave Wally a second chance, right?
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

    Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    19,510
    vCash
    1500
    Kudos to Sandy Alderson for giving Wally a stacked Vegas team that dominated the league for 7 weeks (32-13 in first 45 games).

    Once Sandy started promoting players, Vegas played the rest of the season going 48-49 when Wally actually had to manage.

    So to recap, without a completely stacked AAA roster, Wally was adequate at best. This is the guy people want managing the Mets because Terry sucks. Fascinating.


    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    53,740
    vCash
    1500
    #PedroLopez4Prez

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    19,510
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    #PedroLopez4Prez
    I don't really know much about him except that the Mets apparently are very high on him.


    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    27,606
    vCash
    1500
    So you want to defend TC in spite of his major league record as manager with the Mets, but want to make a case against Wally because of his essentially .500 record in a portion of a single AAA season as manager - even though he's won manager of the year twice in a row in the PCL and he seems to be doing a great job helping the Mets young players graduate to the majors.

    I don't know what kind of manager Wally would be in the majors, but your argument has to be better than that if you want to ridicule people who would like to see the guy get a chance as Mets manager.
    Go Grab My Belt

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,744
    vCash
    1500
    Backman is a pyscho, no thanks.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    19,510
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    So you want to defend TC in spite of his major league record as manager with the Mets, but want to make a case against Wally because of his essentially .500 record in a portion of a single AAA season as manager - even though he's won manager of the year twice in a row in the PCL and he seems to be doing a great job helping the Mets young players graduate to the majors.

    I don't know what kind of manager Wally would be in the majors, but your argument has to be better than that if you want to ridicule people who would like to see the guy get a chance as Mets manager.
    Actually, the point is that it's easy to be a winning team when you have a stacked roster. TC has never had a roster that could be considered good, let alone great.


    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    27,606
    vCash
    1500
    Yeah, but has TC outperformed his roster as manager?

    Don't think there's much evidence of that.

    Again, I have no idea what kind of manager Wally would make, but it is more than fair to start wondering if the Mets would be better off with a change at manager. I know people like TC and some people think he's a great manager (not many), but considering the many handicaps this team already has to deal with it is silly not to consider extracting more out of the manager than what TC has done so far.

    At best, you can say TC has performed no worse than his roster expectations. At best.
    Go Grab My Belt

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    19,510
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Yeah, but has TC outperformed his roster as manager?

    Don't think there's much evidence of that.

    Again, I have no idea what kind of manager Wally would make, but it is more than fair to start wondering if the Mets would be better off with a change at manager. I know people like TC and some people think he's a great manager (not many), but considering the many handicaps this team already has to deal with it is silly not to consider extracting more out of the manager than what TC has done so far.

    At best, you can say TC has performed no worse than his roster expectations. At best.
    I think his teams have outperformed what the rosters were expected to do. This year is the exception, but with Wright and Granderson grossly underperforming their contracts, and not really having a SS, I'd say he's gotten the most out of what he's got.


    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    7,068
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    I think his teams have outperformed what the rosters were expected to do.
    Very strongly disagree.
    Omar Minaya in 9 Expos/Mets Drafts - 84.6 WAR (Avg 9.4 per class)
    Sandy Alderson in 4 Padres Drafts - 87.1 WAR (Avg 21.8 per class)

    -

    Terry Collins has destroyed 3 clubhouses on 2 different continents and is now working on #4. Quite possibly the worst manager in Major League History.

    Put this idiot into a cannon and fire him into the East River.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •