Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Adrian Peterson told Jerry Jones he wanted to retire a Cowboy

What do you do if you're an NFL owner and a star player says he wants to play for you? Oh yeah, and it happens to be an NFL player who is on another team?

According to ESPN's "Outside the Lines," Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson told Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones on a June phone call that he could envision playing for the Cowboys when his Vikings tenure was up.

That put Jones in a little pickle.

"Well, I understand, Adrian," Jones told Peterson on the call, per the ESPN personality profile on Jones. "I'd like that, too ... Well, I love your story. I love your daddy's story. I've always respected what you've been about. I've always been a fan of yours."
    NFL tampering rules prohibit club officials from talking to other teams' players, so this raises all kinds of questions for Jones. But according to the report, Jones might have been ambushed a bit by this one. Jones reportedly was in his suite at AT&T Stadium when a friend handed him a phone.

On that phone initially was a Morgan Stanley money manager who had attended the final George Strait concert back on June 7. That man talked to Peterson and then put the phone in Jones' hand without saying who was on the other end.

That's how we got to Peterson saying what he did. It should be noted that Peterson who is from Texas originally and played high-school football there can say whatever he wants on the matter to anyone else; that's not considered tampering, per NFL rules. But Jones responding in a certain fashion certainly could be construed as such.

"Well, we'll see what we can do, if we can make that happen," Jones reportedly told Peterson. "Hmm hmm ... I'd like that, too ... Well, we're talking pig Latin here, but let's see if we can do that ... We're talking pig Latin here, but let's see what we can do about that. OK, Adrian, thanks."
    So pig Latin is likely the wink-wink code for those pesky tampering rules that the NFL folks take quite seriously, and it's likely something the Vikings who have Peterson under contract through the 2017 season will want to investigate further.
    Link

There's more on the link.

What do you guys think about this? Is Jerry Jones in the wrong or should AP be held accountable for their conversation? Apparently JJ could get in trouble for tampering even though AP is the one that called JJ.
    Last edited by TheBigCheese12; 08-28-2014 at 06:56 PM.

vCash
    "friend" handed him a phone....

Idk, I think that there is more to this story that we're being told...

I'll wait and see what develops, however off the bat JJ should've informed the Vikings of the incident.

PSD's Aaron Dropson.
    Honorary packers fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lolollort View Post
    "friend" handed him a phone....

Idk, I think that there is more to this story that we're being told...

I'll wait and see what develops, however off the bat JJ should've informed the Vikings of the incident.
    But if he is seriously interested in getting AP then he would basically be telling on Petterson by going to the Vikings and telling them "hey, your all star RB called me and said he wants to be a Cowboy". Its a weird situation. But IF AP was the one that initiated the conversation then he should be held accountable to some extent. Idk, its just weird lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post
    But if he is seriously interested in getting AP then he would basically be telling on Petterson by going to the Vikings and telling them "hey, your all star RB called me and said he wants to be a Cowboy". Its a weird situation. But IF AP was the one that initiated the conversation then he should be held accountable to some extent. Idk, its just weird lol.
    But it's part of the rules to inform the team, he needs permission to talk to AP, see it's so murky because JJ knows what the rules are (GM/owner and President) so it's negligence on him not at least informing the Vikings that he spoke to AP because a friend handed him a phone.

However, did AP inform the Vikings? Nope...

And that's why I think there has to be more to this.

Regardless as the information stands...JJ should still have informed the Vikings.

PSD's Aaron Dropson.
    Honorary packers fan

vCash
    "I would really love to get 7 wins instead of 6!"
    Seattle Seahawks Seattle Mariners Los Angeles Clippers Anaheim Ducks

Tweet me @Spencerrw3
    Go Hawks

vCash
    "We're talking pig latin here"

Haha great line

My girl. Don't look at her.

STRAIGHT CASH HOMIE!

vCash
    At first it sounded like tampering but as lolort said i doubt Jones would be that stupid.

vCash
    It's tampering and he will get fined for it. As soon as he knew ap was on the line he should have ended the conversation, and not respond positively to the idea of ap going to Dallas.

vCash
    I'm a Cowboys fan and I think the Cowboys will be penalized for tampering. There is a rule that if a player under contract contacts another team that team has like 48 he's to notify that players team. So Jerry was obligated to notify the Vikings with 48 he's that he had a conversation with AP.

vCash
    Violation of the CBA rules... another cheater!

But didn't this story come up last year too? I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time AP has said he wanted to play for the Cowboys.

Here's one from back in May 2014... http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/55237...m#.VACC5vldVZs

Here's one from December 2013... http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/12/adri...or-the-cowboys
    And another... http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ying-in-texas/

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

vCash
    It's no secret that AP loves his hometown Cowboys. I don't blame him because I agree, it would be awesome to play in front of family and friends. That being said the Vikes control him for the next 4 years. He'll be 33 at the end of this contract and likely on his last tank of gas. But...But...I would strongly consider trading AP in the next 1-2 years IF the Cowboys were able to come up with a nice package.

Let's face it...we have not won anything win him, we've used him pretty all we can & he'll likely start to decline in the next 1-2 years. This is a passing league now and if Teddy can be a productive QB then we could build around him with the extra cash and picks.

Also I don't view this as tampering as it sits right now.

created by the one and only VCU
    Adopt-A-Viking: Adam Thielen
    Receptions: 0 , Yards: 0 , TD's: 0

vCash
    I'm more disappointed in AP than Jerry Jones. What are his teammates to make of this?
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pacofunk64 View Post
    It's no secret that AP loves his hometown Cowboys. I don't blame him because I agree, it would be awesome to play in front of family and friends. That being said the Vikes control him for the next 4 years. He'll be 33 at the end of this contract and likely on his last tank of gas. But...But...I would strongly consider trading AP in the next 1-2 years IF the Cowboys were able to come up with a nice package.

Let's face it...we have not won anything win him, we've used him pretty all we can & he'll likely start to decline in the next 1-2 years. This is a passing league now and if Teddy can be a productive QB then we could build around him with the extra cash and picks.

Also I don't view this as tampering as it sits right now.
    The problem with this line of thinking is that by 2016, he's going to be a 31 year old RB with no guaranteed cap hit scheduled to make $14.75M, then $16.75M. Yeah, the Vikings "control" him, but the chances of them paying those salary numbers are pretty slim. If he refuses to take a pay cut, then what? Their options outside of cutting him are pretty small.
    On Cam Newton:

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    So it's official.

This jerk off is going to be the first QB taken in the first round (or maybe the first 5) in the modern era to throw less than 300 passes at DI level. and he might go #1 overall.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    but what about Demarco Murray
    King Remembered In Time
    New Jersey Devils/Brooklyn Nets/New York Yankees/New York Jets

12/7/12 R.I.P Off-topic-forum amigo.

Want to be President of PSD? Post here to enroll. No skills needed!
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...ction-Nominees

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benzni View Post
    but what about Demarco Murray
    The Cowboys have always seemed to hate him. They never give him the ball in the red zone.

/shakes FF fist

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast