Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Casey needs to use Jonas more.

This was a good read about Jonas and his usage in the raptors offense. Apparently only TH and Chuck Hayes were used less than Jonas in our offense. Casey def needs to draw up some more plays to get Jonas involved more and get him some looks.

Also it shows that offensively Jonas and Amir are very similar players with Amir being the better mid-range shooter & 3pt shooter. He only took 90 something mid-range shots all season and 66 3 pointers, most of his shots come inside the paint just like Jonas. Having them both as starters playing mostly in the paint could be a problem. Would it be wise to have 2pat in the starting rotation rather than Amir alongside Jonas as he has a different arsenal of offensive weapons?

Either way, Casey needs to get our bigs involved in the offense more. Teams should have to do more work on D when defending the raptors rather than just focusing on shutting down Lowry and or Derozan. A more balanced attack would make the raptors so much harder to defend.
    Thoughts ?

http://www.raptorshq.com/2014/8/28/6...rimordial-ooze

vCash
    I didn't realize that Jonas was that under utilized. Considering his offensive game and how much potential he has, he was definitely underutilized, I feel like he was a garbage man for many many games, trying to do his best Andre Drummond Imitation. For the future, if Teams want to load up on DD or Lowry, we need to make them pay because they have to cover Jonas. So yeah, for the future, I hope Casey tries harder to incorporate Jonas more, he should be at least our 3rd option.

[/Center]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    This was a good read about Jonas and his usage in the raptors offense. Apparently only TH and Chuck Hayes were used less than Jonas in our offense. Casey def needs to draw up some more plays to get Jonas involved more and get him some looks.

Also it shows that offensively Jonas and Amir are very similar players with Amir being the better mid-range shooter & 3pt shooter. He only took 90 something mid-range shots all season and 66 3 pointers, most of his shots come inside the paint just like Jonas. Having them both as starters playing mostly in the paint could be a problem. Would it be wise to have 2pat in the starting rotation rather than Amir alongside Jonas as he has a different arsenal of offensive weapons?

Either way, Casey needs to get our bigs involved in the offense more. Teams should have to do more work on D when defending the raptors rather than just focusing on shutting down Lowry and or Derozan. A more balanced attack would make the raptors so much harder to defend.
    Thoughts ?

I think Jonas can and will inevitably see his offensive role increase over time.

Zero interest in seeing Patterson start. My opinion is that 90% of stretch bigs are best suited to bench roles and the 10% that are good enough have had sort of a negative influence on the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    I think Jonas can and will inevitably see his offensive role increase over time.

Zero interest in seeing Patterson start. My opinion is that 90% of stretch bigs are best suited to bench roles and the 10% that are good enough have had sort of a negative influence on the game.
    i think its a pickle, because amir and jonas are probably our best defensvie big pairing. So while patman could give the starters a different skill set on offense, I think our defence would take a hit.

Hopefully Amir utilizes that mid range shot some more to open up some space in the pain for jonas. He does shoot it at a 44% clip. Maybe he needs the green light from the coaches to take that shot more frequently.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FriedTofuz View Post
    I didn't realize that Jonas was that under utilized. Considering his offensive game and how much potential he has, he was definitely underutilized, I feel like he was a garbage man for many many games, trying to do his best Andre Drummond Imitation. For the future, if Teams want to load up on DD or Lowry, we need to make them pay because they have to cover Jonas. So yeah, for the future, I hope Casey tries harder to incorporate Jonas more, he should be at least our 3rd option.
    I was suprised to see how underutilized he was as well. . its almost like Casey uses Jonas like he is Reggie Evans lol..

Jonas needs to be put in that "go to" role in order to grow in to it as well. cant just wait until his 4th-5th season and then decide he is a top option and give him the rock. He needs to hone his skills, and be put in those situations in order to gain confidence and improve. Entering his 3rd season, I think Casey really needs to put an effort to get Jonas invovled and utilized as a go to option, not a 1st or 2nd, but a 3rd option like you suggested would suffice.
    Last edited by smith&wesson; 08-28-2014 at 07:45 PM.

vCash
    agreed. he is the key to getting Lowry, Ross, Patterson, and Derozan wide open shots when JV becomes a dominant force inside.

vCash

Where would you fit Dirk in there?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post

Thoughts ?

Stamina, fouls, experience will help determine that.

vCash
    That means he is gonna use him less, because everything he said last year turned out to be the opposite.

vCash
    Hopefully he uses him more. In terms of Amir and Patterson I think who starts is less important. The important part I believe is using them properly depending on the matchups we want.

vCash
    Interesting. I still think Val is one year away from being featured as a A option. I think he can increase his offensive numbers by being a smarter player this year. If he makes a effort to increase his assist numbers and offensive rebounds he will see his ppg go up as as a result. He also should get more and tougher minutes this year which will affect his overall game positively and negatively through fatigue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    Where would you fit Dirk in there?
    Dirk is the uber successful prototype that basically spawned an entire generation of bigs who have no big man skills and are nothing more than tall people who can shoot.

Dirks stretch 4 model, Jordan's hero ball, despite being unbelievable to witness as fans, have both contributed to a decline in the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    Raptors use a lot of high screens to free up our perimeter players. It's up to our perimeter players, NOT Casey to find the roll man. Too lazy to find the stats but DD/Lowry drastically look more to score on pick and roll sets than they look to pass. Also we use a lot of hand offs and those sets are generally guard biased.

Also USG% (even if you modify it) is such a ****** stat to measure "offensive involvement". Korver's USG% is 14% but no one is going to argue that he's under utilized by Bud. He's practically involved in almost every set. IMO USG% just tracks the % of possessions where you record a box score stat.

Dirk is the uber successful prototype that basically spawned an entire generation of bigs who have no big man skills and are nothing more than tall people who can shoot.

Dirks stretch 4 model, Jordan's hero ball, despite being unbelievable to witness as fans, have both contributed to a decline in the game.
    I can't think of a stretch 4 that can ONLY shoot that is a starter. Frye, Bonner, Anderson, Hawes etc are all bench players.
    Last edited by Freakazoid; 08-29-2014 at 03:21 PM.

vCash
    Stretch 4s is a cycle thing. Afte awhile there will be so many stretch 4s/5s that teams will use a big powerful guy and he will dominate, so everyone will go back to in the paint players and so on

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    Stamina, fouls, experience will help determine that.
    with all those things considered, isnt it shocking to you that only TH and Chuck Hayes were utilized less ??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast