Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Yankees to follow Rays and A's (hey, that rhymes) tactics this offseason.

Whether it results in a 2014 playoff spot or not – and the odds remain long against the Yankees making it to October – the organization’s in-season additions provided a road map on how, I believe, they will construct their roster moving forward.

I would think of this like “follow the leader.” The Yanks did it a decade ago when the Red Sox’s use of analytics moved Brian Cashman to implore George Steinbrenner to invest finances to follow that revolution or fall hopelessly behind.

Now, the Rays and especially the A’s have become the leader the Yankees are following. Those clubs, recognizing their inherent monetary disadvantages, determined they would have difficulty spending on stars. So, rather than thinking about assembling top-heavy rosters from 1-to-25, they fixated on doing so from 25-to-1.

They could not have pricey gems, which works to their benefit in a post-steroid age when buying expensive stars has become more unfulfilling than ever. But thinking of a roster from the bottom up also has meant having good players throughout, avoiding soft spots.

To do this, they thought about versatile players and varying skills, particularly when it came to platoon strengths – guys who could really hit lefties to be complemented by guys who could really hit righties – or really run or really defend, etc.

The Yankees, after the disaster of 2013, when they deployed so many players who were not of major league quality, tried to follow this theory last offseason. They hoped Kelly Johnson, Brendan Ryan and Yangervis Solarte would offer Joe Girardi maneuverability as multi-positional pieces who had distinct skills: Ryan’s defense, Solarte’s switch-hitting, Johnson’s potential for lefty power.

But that was mainly done with a budget in mind. The Yankees, for much of last offseason, were still trying to shoehorn a payroll under the luxury-tax threshold of $189 million – so they stepped away from a pricier multi-positional possibility such as Jhonny Peralta.

With that $189 million pipe dream gone, the Yankees upgraded their versatility during the season with Stephen Drew, Chase Headley and Martin Prado. The Yanks wanted Drew in the offseason, but his price tag scared them away.

This trio has offered multi-positional usage while serving as a harbinger of how the Yankees will view their rosters moving forward.

Of course, they are still the Yankees, so if a prime-age star such as Giancarlo Stanton becomes available, they will pursue vigorously. But I think they generally want to stay away from the mega-contract entanglements that have gone wrong for them. Still, I expect the Yankees to use their monetary muscle, just to gain the advantage on a smaller scale for versatile types – think of it as what the A’s do, but (forgive the reference) on financial steroids.

Because the Yankees cannot even pretend to try to get under $189 million next year, particularly with Alex Rodriguez and his contract coming off suspension. Thus, I would expect the days of nickel-and-diming to fill out the roster are gone. The Yanks will more zealously avoid the Zelous Wheelers and win the battles for the Drews and Headleys – both are free agents. Or turn to someone such as free-agent-to-be Jed Lowrie or target a Mike Aviles or Ben Zobrist in trades (both have 2015 options). Or just generally focus on players like these who offer protection in multiple spots when the inevitable injuries strike.

Internally, the rising Rob Refsnyder provides second base/right field variety. Jose Pirela falls into the Solarte category of a longtime minor leaguer who plays an assortment of positions, but there are not enough believers that his Triple-A hitting will translate to the majors. The Yankees backed out on Cuban free agent Rusney Castillo, but it was instructive that they projected him as both a second baseman and outfielder.

The Yankees saw the Red Sox put some money behind the deep-roster theory in 2013 and turn it into a championship. They have watched baseball guerrilla efforts turn the Rays into serial contenders on a shoestring, in part because of the ability to deploy a rotating cast to their best usage in a myriad of spots on the diamond. And the A’s have been a predominant team for several years honoring this philosophy.

The injury plague that continues to impact the sport means you better have a deep 25- and 40-man roster and you better have players who can fill cracks in several spots when they inevitably arise.

Prado, who already has started in four spots for the Yankees, and Drew, who had never before played second base, and Headley, who has played first and third (but also has left field on his resume) are clues at how the Yankees are thinking about future rosters.......
    http://www.prosportsdaily.com/Headli...ticleId=319187

There's also more on Betances, but this thread is about their offseason approach.

Eric Berry Strong

vCash
    Here is the problem with the Rays and A's that I want to see-- What do these teams do when their big time players are up for FA. With the Rays, their "penny pinching" ways cost them Price, BJ Upton (Although that doesn't look so bad), and others. The only one they managed to keep is Longoria.

Also, what is Oakland going to do; will they keep Lester?
    PSD's Muhammad Wilkerson!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    Here is the problem with the Rays and A's that I want to see-- What do these teams do when their big time players are up for FA. With the Rays, their "penny pinching" ways cost them Price, BJ Upton (Although that doesn't look so bad), and others. The only one they managed to keep is Longoria.

They trade them, a la Price. BJ upton sucks.

And no, Oakland will not re-sign Lester. He'll be in pinstripes next year

vCash

The answer to the last question is obviously no. Lester will not be back in Oakland. The A's and Rays have shown that you don't need to outspend the competition to win. Carl Crawford is a free agent? See ya, Carl. James Shields is approaching FA? Trade him for Wil Myers. Matt Garza? I'd rather have Chris Archer and friends. The A's have acted similarly.
    <a href=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/29/Ichiro_Suzuki_on_August_1%2C_2012.jpg/240px-Ichiro_Suzuki_on_August_1%2C_2012.jpg target=_blank>http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._1%2C_2012.jpg</a>

BA: .282 HR: ONE! RBI: 20 SB: 12 AGE: 40

vCash

They then trade that pitcher for younger talent. A few years down the road they do the same thing.

Shields netted Wil Myers and Jake Odorizzi

Price was a head scratcher but Drew Smyly has pitched very well in Tampa. Maybe they know something that no one else knew.
    King Remembered In Time
    New Jersey Devils/Brooklyn Nets/New York Yankees/New York Jets

12/7/12 R.I.P Off-topic-forum amigo.

Want to be President of PSD? Post here to enroll. No skills needed!
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...ction-Nominees

vCash
    I think this is a wise strategy to follow as a general plan. Unlike the A's and Rays though, we don't have to watch as top players sign elsewhere. I think we should build a team like this while also backing up the brinks truck for players where it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash

They trade those players and let some other team pay them massive cash. They then laugh as they win games with the young talent they acquired.

vCash
    That's not the problem.
    That's the strategy.
    Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. —Greg King

vCash
    the yankees are full of sh****, they could have followed suite with the rays and A's if they would have traded their stars come the deadlines and theyc hose to live the fantasy that they were in it. The yankees brass keeps trying to copy what works for everyone else and hasnt come to the fact that they arent in the other teams shoes, They are the freaking yankees and they need to find their own strategy which should start in a short term rebuild, pay taxes by outspending for prime IFA tht they let go like soler, abreu among others. sign top pitchers and trade your hot players for extra talent . they should have traded cano, drob, betances but no, the yankees talk a lot about building a championship, about getting younger, about lowering payroll to 189 only to jump ship on their plan at last minute

they need to stick to a plan and stick to it till its fulfilled

vCash
    Why should they trade drob and betances? Both are still young and shutdown late inning guys

EVERYBODY RELAX, I'M BACK!

vCash
    Here's the problem with the Yankees. The Rays, the Red Sox and the Cardinals like to buy low and sell high. The Yankees buy high and sell lower. For example, Brian McCann was doing terrible with the Braves for the past few years. If you talk to Braves, most of them would agree that he was on the decline, but the Yankees signed him anyway. Look at CC. If the Yankees let him go after 3 years, they wouldn't be stuck with his enormous contracts

Also the Yankees don't develop prospects. Right now the Yankees have one of the worst farm systems in baseball. They lack top level talent.In baseball, teams are catching up to the Yankees financially so there's more competition. It is becoming a necessity for teams to develop players to remain relevant. Maybe if they spent some money on younger players on Yaisel Puig, Jorge Soler and co, they wouldn't be stuck in this mess.

vCash
    Yes. Mccann was terrible the last few years. Absolutely

EVERYBODY RELAX, I'M BACK!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Yes. Mccann was terrible the last few years. Absolutely
    I try to give McCann a pass based on his shoulder injury and oblique injury he battled back to back seasons.

I was more concerned with his durability them his numbers.

vCash
    The Yankees had a plan with McCann, even though it was overly optimistic. McCann is a lefty pull hitting catcher in Yankees Stadium, who call a great game frames pitches and blocks them in the dirt. He batted .250 last year and they were hoping for a bounce back to .270 or .280 but with increased number of HR. The team can live with a player like that, if it weren't that the other two switch hitting lefties (Tex and Beltran) in the middle of the line-up weren't also pull happy. That being said, he cost the team their 1st round pick #18 overall.

To be like the Rays plus money, the team would have had to sign no free agents that cost a pick and to sign its own free agents and international ones. That strategy would have looked like signing Granderson, Cano and lesser free agents and international players that didn't cost picks, instead of McCann, Ellsbury and Beltran, costing them picks.
    Either way, it doesn't effect the signing of Kuroda and Tanaka and extending Gardner like they did.

Also, there is no way you trade D-rob or Betances.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    The Yankees had a plan with McCann, even though it was overly optimistic. McCann is a lefty pull hitting catcher in Yankees Stadium, who call a great game frames pitches and blocks them in the dirt. He batted .250 last year and they were hoping for a bounce back to .270 or .280 but with increased number of HR. The team can live with a player like that, if it weren't that the other two switch hitting lefties (Tex and Beltran) in the middle of the line-up weren't also pull happy. That being said, he cost the team their 1st round pick #18 overall.

To be like the Rays plus money, the team would have had to sign no free agents that cost a pick and to sign its own free agents and international ones. That strategy would have looked like signing Granderson, Cano and lesser free agents and international players that didn't cost picks, instead of McCann, Ellsbury and Beltran, costing them picks.
    Either way, it doesn't effect the signing of Kuroda and Tanaka and extending Gardner like they did.

Also, there is no way you trade D-rob or Betances.
    While I agree with a lot of what you say, I would have tried to trade DRob thus using his potential 2015 salary to either bolster the starting rotation or sign a bat. Who knows...maybe they DID try. I think Betances would have been a much cheaper closer. And DRob could have probably netted us something good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast