Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Pagano not a top 15 coach

INDIANAPOLIS – ESPN.com NFL Insider Mike Sando has an interesting piece in which he talked to different officials around the league and ranked all 32 head coaches Insider.

Pagano
    Indianapolis Colts coach Chuck Pagano didn’t crack the top five, not the top 10 or the top 15, either.

League officials have Pagano ranked as the 16th-best coach in the league.

That may seem low when you take into account that Pagano is 22-10 in his two years as coach (he missed 12 games because of his battle with leukemia in 2012) and has been to the playoffs in each of those seasons. The Colts also beat San Francisco, Seattle and Denver last season.

"One of the things I thought about is getting your players to play for you," a voter said. "Even though Bruce Arians was running the show [in 2012], I think his players played for [Pagano]. It was a little personal and emotional, but I felt that was a group of players doing whatever they had to do to play for him. This past year, when Bruce was gone, they wound up winning in the playoffs without having an overly-talented team. They played their butts off for their coach more than anyone else. He did a great job of motivating them."

Some question Pagano’s coaching because he’s had franchise quarterback Andrew Luck and they play in the AFC South, the weakest division in the league.

"I think he is a good coach, but some contributing factors make me want to see more against better competition," one executive said.

The coach you can question on whether he deserves to be ranked higher than Pagano is Philadelphia's Chip Kelly.

New England coach Bill Belichick and Seattle’s Pete Carroll were named the top two coaches.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis...ach-in-the-nfl

Cant disagree here.
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    "I think he is a good coach, but some contributing factors make me want to see more against better competition," one executive said.
    I'm not saying that Pagano is better or worse than this because I'm still on the fence about this so middle of the pack seems right to me until we find out what he really has....but last year alone he beat teams led by Harbaugh, Carrol, Fox, and Reid...who I'm guessing are ranked much higher and I'm thinking all would be in the top 10. For a league exec to say this is pretty short sighted...you can bash his plays, his prep, his game plans, his usage of players, our division....but we beat some of the top teams in the league when we were matched up against them.

Some question Pagano’s coaching because he’s had franchise quarterback Andrew Luck and they play in the AFC South, the weakest division in the league.
    Do they drop Belichick's ranking because he has franchise HOF QB, and has had him fully since year 2...how about Fox because he got PM? Everybody loves to rank Wilson on Luck's level or claim that he is elite....yet Pete is #2, The Hoodie is #1, and I'm sure Fox is in the top 10. I'm guessing if you look in the top 10 of this list you will see probably 8 of the top 10-12 QBs in the leagues run their team. I'm thinking someone like Andy Reid may be the only one in the top 10 without one...if he is even there.

I'm guessing this list goes something like this: Bill B, Carrol, Payton, both Harbaughs, McCarthy, Fox, Coughlin, Reid......so I'm not a big Flacco or Smith fan...but aside from that you have the who is who of the NFL Elite QBs, and some would probably put Flacco up there on the fringe of the top tier.
    Last edited by matthollabak; 08-28-2014 at 02:09 PM.

vCash
    I think Pagano is ranked a little low. His in-game decisions are weak, but he's a great motivator. My gut says that he is very loyal and that might work against him when it comes to some big decisions on assistants and players. It's also important to note that he is relatively new to being an administrative coach. The season before coming to Indy was his first as a Coordinator. Hopefully we see some growth in the game-planning and in-game management as well as player management.

vCash
    Maybe, but if the game plans etc do improve, how much of that is Pagano and how much of that is Chud?
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    I mean if Pete Carroll is #2 you should take the list with a grain of salt. Dude washed out of the league a few years ago, fell into a team stacked with picks, and managed to win a SB. Credit where it's due, he's a solid coach - but he's not close to the 2nd best in the league.

Pagano I'd put between 10-15 on my personal list, mostly because I want to see more before I put him ahead of guys who are proven year in and year out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants1213 View Post
    Maybe, but if the game plans etc do improve, how much of that is Pagano and how much of that is Chud?
    Pagano and really every coach that doesn't call their strength is extremely tough to evaluate overall....Even Dungy was given a pass when the D wasn't playing well but the offense was putting up points...however Tom Moore had the offense humming along with Peyton. I don't know how much time Dungy spent on the offensive gameplan because Moore and Peyton were all over it.

Obviously guys that call the plays are easy to spot if they have issues....if their side of the ball isn't doing well we have an answer. People forget that Dungy really had nothing to do with the offense other than deciding some situational things.

Now as far as Pagano goes...the players seem to play for him, so while I have no clue how good he is, I put a lot of the fault on the coordinators. This is the same principal as the QB/Coach combo that I talked about above...you show me 2 good coordinators and a motivational coach and I'll show you a top 10 guy....but we really don't know which part of that trio is expendable if any.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    I mean if Pete Carroll is #2 you should take the list with a grain of salt. Dude washed out of the league a few years ago, fell into a team stacked with picks, and managed to win a SB. Credit where it's due, he's a solid coach - but he's not close to the 2nd best in the league.

Pagano I'd put between 10-15 on my personal list, mostly because I want to see more before I put him ahead of guys who are proven year in and year out.
    Some guys have trouble making the transition from college to the NFL and/or from coordinator to HC....I'm sure most of us even if we hate the guy would have Belechick in our top 5...and he washed out of the league once as well with Cleveland and came back after some assistant jobs to NE. We are also talking about Carroll having a 10 year gap when Belecheck only had 3-4.

I personally don't like Carrol as I hate USC being a ND fan...however I think he is taking above average talent and making them play like superstars....I don't think Wilson is anything but a game manager...I know Lynch was headed to mediocrity and at best inconsistency in Buffalo and Carrol got him playing like an All Pro...He took a 5th round ex WR/Track star who turned to CB due to injury into arguably the top CB in the league. We aren't talking about Carroll fell into say the Cavs who got 3 out of 4 first overall picks...he is turning mid round picks into all pros and they are finding value. We are also talking about a guy that took a double digit loss team 2 years running to the playoffs at 7-9 and knocked off the Saints.

I don't see how you could not have Carroll in your top 5 right now without being blind.