Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Reports: The Astros may still be able to sign top pick Brady Aiken

Eye on Baseball @EyeOnBaseball ∑ 22m
    Reports: The Astros may still be able to sign top pick Brady Aiken http://cbsprt.co/1zG5I9d via @cbssports

vCash
    That would be odd if they could get him, I don't know why everyone in the AL West signed off on this, they could really screw the Astros by Nix getting to sign and Aiken doing something else.

vCash
    Lots of questions. Why would teams sign off on this? If I was and owner / GM I would have definitely said no. There are rules and deadlines and the Astros failed there. What is the sign and trade about? To my knowledge draft picks need 1 year before being traded, or 6 months as a PTBNL. So how is that even possible? My biggest question is why even have rules in the fist place? My opinion on this is the Astros overreached in this draft and should be held accountable for it.

What needs to happen is the league needs to rule against Nix, and give the Astros the #2 pick next season and put this Aiken thing to rest.

vCash
    Yay for approved circumvention
    Alshon's Athletic Bloodlines Run Deep (AND CATCH EVERYTHING)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by C-ross12 View Post
    Lots of questions. Why would teams sign off on this? If I was and owner / GM I would have definitely said no. There are rules and deadlines and the Astros failed there. What is the sign and trade about? To my knowledge draft picks need 1 year before being traded, or 6 months as a PTBNL. So how is that even possible? My biggest question is why even have rules in the fist place? My opinion on this is the Astros overreached in this draft and should be held accountable for it.

What needs to happen is the league needs to rule against Nix, and give the Astros the #2 pick next season and put this Aiken thing to rest.
    Why should they rule against Nix? He came to an mutually approved agreement with the team that drafted him, passed all his physicals, and didn't break any rules. He turned down his scholarship to play for the Astros, if they rule against him they are doing it just to help the Astro's
    In this whole Braidy Aiken vs the Astro's saga the real victims are Jacob Nix and Mac Marshal, who did nothing wrong but are getting screwed out of their bonuses.
    Last edited by ciaban; 08-27-2014 at 06:31 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    Why should they rule against Nix? He came to an mutually approved agreement with the team that drafted him, passed all his physicals, and didn't break any rules. He turned down his scholarship to play for the Astros, if they rule against him they are doing it just to help the Astro's
    In this whole Braidy Aiken vs the Astro's saga the real victims are Jacob Nix and Mac Marshal, who did nothing wrong but are getting screwed out of their bonuses.
    While I agree that Marshall and Nix got screwed, I'm of the opinion that you cant set a standard by allowing verbal agreement to be set in stone. However I do think the Astros need to be smacked a bit more then just waiting a year for another impact pick.

I think they need to rework the draft system. Go back to letting teams and players negotiate without a cap to limit them.

vCash
    While I agree that Marshall and Nix got screwed, I'm of the opinion that you cant set a standard by allowing verbal agreement to be set in stone. However I do think the Astros need to be smacked a bit more then just waiting a year for another impact pick.

I think they need to rework the draft system. Go back to letting teams and players negotiate without a cap to limit them.
    That Verbal agreement prevented Nix from going to UCLA, the real problem is having deals be connected to other deals.
    If you rule against Nix for the sole reason of helping the Astro's, then the least you should do is allow Nix to become a free agent.
    Last edited by ciaban; 08-28-2014 at 05:56 AM.

vCash
    They should be forced to sign Nix to the amount agreed. Aiken should go back in to the draft. Houston should lose their first two picks for going over the slotted amount. Don't let the Astros fool ya here. They intentionally manipulated the system because they had second thoughts on their pick. To allow them to now sign Aiken would set a horrible precedent. Why even have a deadline and rules???

It's pretty simple.

vCash
    As others have pointed out, the MLB's hand was somewhat forced since this whole incident was due to their idiotic draft/cap rules.

Ideally this would lead to the end of the cap. But since when has greed ever lead to any sort of ideal?
    Donít argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. óGreg King

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    First off, Nix told teams don't draft me unless you can meet my price or I'll go to college. Same with Marshall. Marshall was a flyer in the 21st round who fell due to signability concerns and never even came to any sort of agreement with the astros, so I fail to see how Marshall is any more a victim than any other highly regarded high school player who chose college over signing. Nix put himself in a position where teams either had to draft him in the 1st essentially, or would have to get someone else to sign underslot before signing him. So he knew what he was getting into. A verbal agreement isn't binding in baseball. We see it all the time.

Why do the astros need to get smacked around for taking the consensus #1 player, then find out his medicals are sketchy and deciding not to sign him? All while checking with MLB to make sure they were within the rules. They specifically never made an official, written contract offer because they knew until they signed Aiken they couldn't do Nix's deal without penalties
    The Most Epic Thread EVER
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Yea what is he thinking not wanting to drive next to or near drunk people. I have never met a more sheltered scaredy cat. As a hobby i find 10-15 homeless guys and give them lots of alcohol and play bumper cars all day but im normal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    They should be forced to sign Nix to the amount agreed. Aiken should go back in to the draft. Houston should lose their first two picks for going over the slotted amount. Don't let the Astros fool ya here. They intentionally manipulated the system because they had second thoughts on their pick. To allow them to now sign Aiken would set a horrible precedent. Why even have a deadline and rules???

It's pretty simple.
    You mean like how the cubs did by taking Schwarber as a below slot signing at #4 who many considered a reach based on pure talent? EVERYONE manipulates the cap system in the draft. The Astros found out new information on a physical and then, essentially, pulled their offer to Aiken because of injury risk (which any team has a right to do)

Honestly I don't think the Astros even want to sign Aiken anymore. They'd obviously rather have the #2 pick in next years draft where they can take a player without the injury risk.
    The Most Epic Thread EVER
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Yea what is he thinking not wanting to drive next to or near drunk people. I have never met a more sheltered scaredy cat. As a hobby i find 10-15 homeless guys and give them lots of alcohol and play bumper cars all day but im normal.

vCash
    But every source and expert has said there is no injury risk.
    Alshon's Athletic Bloodlines Run Deep (AND CATCH EVERYTHING)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by astrosmaniac View Post
    You mean like how the cubs did by taking Schwarber as a below slot signing at #4 who many considered a reach based on pure talent? EVERYONE manipulates the cap system in the draft. The Astros found out new information on a physical and then, essentially, pulled their offer to Aiken because of injury risk (which any team has a right to do)

Honestly I don't think the Astros even want to sign Aiken anymore. They'd obviously rather have the #2 pick in next years draft where they can take a player without the injury risk.
    Couple things here. Aiken had no damage in his elbow. His medicals weren't "sketchy". He has a smaller then average UCL. Secondly, the Cubs situation is much different. They didn't draft the Consensus #1 pick and significantly lower their offer to try to sign a 21st rounder; all while screwing over another young kid they had a strong verbal with. The Cubs drafted a guy that was slated to go 15th - 30ish. Cubs were slotted at 4.6, and Schwarber quickly agreed to 3.1ish, which is 8th pick money. The fact is Schwarber and the Cubs came together quickly, and no other people was caught in the crossfire, after some sketchy leverage UCL situation to sign Mac Marshall. Its complete foolishness.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    But every source and expert has said there is no injury risk.
    The Astros have their own paid professionals that say that there is an injury risk. Why would they just not sign him if there was no injury risk as you say? He was already going for under the slotted value, so clearly money was not an issue.

vCash
    This is BS. The Astros should be forced to honor the contract they agreed to with Nix. They failed to sign Aiken so they lose the extra bonus money. Because they went over bonus they suffer the punishments that come with it. If they didn't want that to happen they should have just followed the rules like everyone else did.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast