Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Who Would You Put In The White Sox Core?

What players in the White Sox organization would you consider part of their core over the next 5 years? Here are my core players

1. Chris Sale SP- Top 3 pitcher in the game, ace for years to come on a ridiculously cheap contract.

2. Jose Abreu 1B- Showed this year he can be an offensive force in the middle of the lineup and play a decent 1B.

3. Jose Quintana SP- A very good SP (top 20ish) and should be a very good #2 starter on a very team friendly deal.

4. Avisail Garcia OF- Still just 22 years old and has shown the ability to hit for power and play average or slightly above average.

5. Adam Eaton OF- A leadoff hitter the Sox haven't had in a very long time. If he can stay healthy, he will be at the top for a long time.

6. Carlos Rodon SP- Drafted #3 overall this season and already in AAA with the possibility of coming up this season. Should be in the rotation by late June at the very latest. Was called the best college pitcher coming out since David Price. Could add another ace to this staff with Sale.

One guys who should still be here for at least the start of next season and is still part of the core is Alexei Ramirez, but that could change if the right offer comes along.

I think you add in guys on the active roster that will be here are Connor Gillaspie, Carlos Sanchez, Jake Petricka and Daniel Webb, but I wouldn't put them as core players.

Some guys who I think could be core players in the near future are Micah Johnson, Tim Anderson, Tyler Danish, Francellis Montas and Courtney Hawkins.

Guys like Marcus Semien, Matt Davidson, Rangel Ravelo, Andy Wilkins and Chris Beck could have an impact as soon as next season.
    Last edited by sager729; 08-27-2014 at 02:13 PM.

vCash

They need some help. A franchise catcher would be a good start.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

vCash
    Honestly, just get a starting LF or RF (Avi can play the other) that hits for some power gets on base and plays some good defense. Cough Nick Markakis Cough. Hopefully Micah Johnson can become the starting 2B and play at a high level and use his speed to be a real threat on the basepaths.

vCash

Bullpen, a # 4 RHP
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

vCash
    I have extremely high hopes for Andy Wilkins...........

I would consider trading Q in a deal that brought up a top flight RH starter. Then I would sign a FA innings eater (Peavy etc.)

I would get a solid OFer like mentioned above. I think we could survive one more year of Flowers/Phegley if nothing fell to us.

I would stock the pen with as many reliable arms as possible.

I don't want to see De Aza or Viciedo in our outfield next year. I'm fine with another year of Alexi.......and Gillaspie. Would love to see Davidson catch fire in winter ball...

White Sox & Redskins Forever

vCash
    Why would you trade Q for a RH pitcher unless he is signed to an extremely team friendly deal, is a top 20 pitcher and is in his mid 20's? You don't just trade pitchers because of what hand he throws with. He has been a top 20 pitcher over the past few seasons and is only getting better. Having Sale, Q and Rodon won't create any kind of problems just because they are all left handed. Now if someone offered a similar pitcher plus another player who is major league ready.

vCash
    That is all I was saying......certainly wouldn't do it unless it brought us a nice package.....

White Sox & Redskins Forever

vCash
    Im a big CG fan love to see him be part of the team for next 5 years. I am right there with Sager in thinking our biggest offseason acquisition should be Markakis. He isn't exactly young but could be very helpful for next 3 seasons. Also a Jake Peavy or some pitcher of that caliber on a short term deal wouldn't be the worst thing either.

vCash
    our core for the future is sale, abreu, eaton, Q, garcia.

AR is currently but who knows what happens.

Next year I hope to see take part of the core: johnson and rodon.

thats not too shabby if we can just spend $ on an OF next year (either markakis or as a lesser want melky). fix up the pen and i think we can compete for a wc next year and the division by '16.

next year:

c - flowers/phegly or FA ??? (smith could play a role)
    1b - abreu
    2nd - johnson
    ss - AR
    3rd - CG
    OF - eaton, garcia, FA (markakis)
    DH - wilkins/tank (if still here. he can also split DH w. wilkins and abreu)

SP - Sale, Q, Rodon, Noesi, Danks (unless we some how move danks and get a #4 in FA.... would like volquez or morrow). i am OK w. Noesi as the #5. I have been happy w. him this year and who knows, he could make more strides next year. he had all the talent in the world coming into the league.

bp will be a project that i trust hahn to fix.

if all of that happens i dont see why the sox cannot compete in 15 for a wc.

vCash
    I really hope the right offer comes along for AR. If Hahn can land a potential middle of the rotation righty plus a pen arm or two would love to see that trade happen. Sure Alexei is good but remember he will be 33.5 going into next season.

vCash
    [QUOTE=sager729;28972126]Honestly, just get a starting LF or RF (Avi can play the other) that hits for some power gets on base and plays some good defense. Cough Nick Markakis Cough./QUOTE]

How many times...
    Peter Angelos is probably going to re-sign him as he is one of his favorite players. Markakis has diminishing power and is advancing in age. Markakis makes no sense for the Sox who are seeking a younger core and some power bats.
    Bottom line is that this will never happen.

vCash
    Im pretty sure Abreu can go to arbitration after his first 3 years. Could one of you confirm that? Not that its a major deal, its just that the last 3 years of his deal could cost a fair amount more than the 33 or so million he was scheduled to make. At the pace he is going it wouldn't be unrealistic to see him get 60M or so in 3 years of arbitration.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CQSox305 View Post
    Im pretty sure Abreu can go to arbitration after his first 3 years. Could one of you confirm that? Not that its a major deal, its just that the last 3 years of his deal could cost a fair amount more than the 33 or so million he was scheduled to make. At the pace he is going it wouldn't be unrealistic to see him get 60M or so in 3 years of arbitration.

Correct; but by then, we will have traded both him and Sale to the Yankees or Dodgers for prospects...

Last edited by swanekj; 09-01-2014 at 07:26 PM.

vCash
    That a terrible thought! However if for some reason were still not winning in 2-3 years, trading Abreu and Sale would literally net us 10 top 100 prospects lol. I fully believe in what Hahn is doing and am very confident we will be fighting for the division by 2016 at the latest.

Quote Originally Posted by swanekj View Post

Correct; but by then, we will have traded both him and Sale to the Yankees or Dodgers for prospects...