Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Strategy or coincidence?

So I noticed the other day that the team picked up a third center off of waivers, which I thought was odd.

Seahawks waive Dowton, claim center Patrick Lewis from Jacksonville

Seattle has made one more roster move today, waiving linebacker Marcus Dowtin and claiming center Patrick Lewis off of waivers from Jacksonville.

Lewis, in his second year, has not played in any games, spending most of last year on Clevelandís practice squad before being picked up late in the season by the Jags.

Lewis was waived by Jacksonville earlier in the week as teams had to get down to 75 players by today.

The addition of Lewis means Seattle has 14 offensive linemen on its roster, three of whom are listed as centers, the others of whom are Max Unger and Lemuel Jeanpierre. However, Greg Van Roten and Stephen Schilling, each also still on the roster, have also played center during training camp. . .
    I thought it was odd right up until I noticed this piece in a different publication:

. . .Looking for a subplot for the big Green Bay-Seattle opener? Check out center, where the Packers might be playing a rookie, Corey Linsley, the fifth-round pick from Ohio State, in the wake of prospective starter J.C. Tretter going down for a few weeks with a knee injury Friday night. Linsley, as of Sunday, had not snapped a ball with the first-team offense since being drafted; all the emphasis had been on getting Tretter, a Cornell kid, ready for his big debut after the Pack let Evan Dietrich-Smith walk in free agency this off-season. I donít expect itíll be the decisive factor by any means, but the last thing Mike McCarty wanted in a game of that magnitude is any uncertainty between Aaron Rodgers and his snapper. . .
    Strategy or coincidence?
    I'm going to list ALEC in credits as associate producer of creating horrifying things for us to talk about -John Oliver

People who think the least powerful members of society are responsible for most of its problems are deluded, at best.

vCash
    49 views and no comments indicates people think it's a coincidence, I believe. . .
    I'm going to list ALEC in credits as associate producer of creating horrifying things for us to talk about -John Oliver

People who think the least powerful members of society are responsible for most of its problems are deluded, at best.

vCash
    Hahaha I just now read this. Good pick up man I didn't even notice it.. I would say it's definitely on purpose but then again is one really better than the other?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Labgrownmangoat View Post
    So I noticed the other day that the team picked up a third center off of waivers, which I thought was odd.

I thought it was odd right up until I noticed this piece in a different publication:

Strategy or coincidence?
    I don't get it, what is the point?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I don't get it, what is the point?
    The point is that if your week one opponent is scrambling at center, it may benefit you to swipe one of the centers on the market that you think might be helpful to them. That's true even if you really don't need a third center, particularly given that your starter is a Pro Bowler, and your backup has started a bunch of games in his place.

Do I know if that is Snyder and Carroll's strategy? Hell no. But it could be. I have yet to see any other rational explanation for picking up a 3rd center. Thus the question.

vCash
    The point is that if your week one opponent is scrambling at center, it may benefit you to swipe one of the centers on the market that you think might be helpful to them. That's true even if you really don't need a third center, particularly given that your starter is a Pro Bowler, and your backup has started a bunch of games in his place.

Do I know if that is Snyder and Carroll's strategy? Hell no. But it could be. I have yet to see any other rational explanation for picking up a 3rd center. Thus the question.
    You're behind us in the waiver order and we cut this guy last year. If we wanted him back, we would have claimed him?

You can't block us from waiver claims when you're BEHIND us on the waiver order. Or do you not know how that works? lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    You're behind us in the waiver order and we cut this guy last year. If we wanted him back, we would have claimed him?

You can't block us from waiver claims when you're BEHIND us on the waiver order. Or do you not know how that works? lol
    I understand how the waiver process works, thanks. It's not rocket science.

I take it from your comments that you think it's a coincidence.

vCash
    I understand how the waiver process works, thanks. It's not rocket science.

I take it from your comments that you think it's a coincidence.
    I guess it could make sense...maybe Thompson was still wanting a center but I guess I would tend to believe he would have claimed him right away. This guy isn't going to make the 53 is he? So all he could do was hold him until then. He was on our roster in TC last year and he wasn't completely worthless TBH but you would think if he wanted him, he'd claim him when he was on waivers and get him in here instantly to get ready for reps Thursday.

It's not like he was going to play over Linsley, but we don't have a backup C at the moment really. I imagine Lang would move in there somehow, I don't even know.

That all being said, nobody is excited about a rookie center against SEA week one, but Tretter was basically a rookie himself and had never played center before the NFL and he was hurt last year. Just a better athlete. Linsley was a 3 year starter I think. Whole thing on him was "NFL ready with a crap ceiling" type guy.

IDK, we thought Tretter was going to be really good because he was a great athlete. But Linsley did okay last night, not that a 4th PS game should mean anything but no bad snaps or anything like that.

Like I told GB fans when they were having strokes after it happened. If you could pick anyone starter on the entire offense who had to get hurt. You pick Tretter. It's not even close either. So at least we didn't take a bigger blow.

FWIW, I think crap like this does on but I just think if Thompson wanted him, he puts that claim in. So I don't see how they block him. If SEA is thinking they're blocking them by claiming him, aren't they thinking "well we're being the waiver order" so how can they plan to block it?

Seems like a coincidence to me anyway. IDK? It is kind of odd. I give ya that.

vCash
    So this is what Norm was talking about i didn't understand what he was talking about in the General lol.

As Norm said though if the Packers wanted him they could of gotten him they have priority over us on waivers.
    Last edited by NateyB24; 08-30-2014 at 12:38 PM.

Just about that action boss.

vCash
    "The Seahawks made one change to the active roster today, re-signing receiver Phil Bates while placing backup guard/center Lemuel Jeanpierre on Injured Reserve with a neck injury."

This would explain it. Coincidence.