Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    2,527
    vCash
    1500

    Last Roster Spots Up for Grabs in Preseason Week 4

    Who can win/keep/earn a roster spot on Thursday night?

    QB - nobody, only keeping Tanny and Moore

    RB - Damien vs. Darkwa vs. Thigpen vs. DT vs. Gillislee

    Damien Williams should already be a lock. (I actually think he should be 2nd string behind Moreno. He's easily better than Miller)

    So that really puts it between the last 4 guys listed above. Darkwa could be battling Gillislee for a PS spot, with the loser being cut.

    So I think it comes down to DT vs. Thigpen for any hope to make the 53. Philbin seems to like DT. I don't see a use for DT if he's behind Moreno/Damien/Miller. Thigpen could be moved back to RS/RB and although we wouldn't need him in the slot (since we're keeping 6 WRs), we could still use depth at RS. So maybe Thigpen has a shot.

    Or maybe we only keep 3 RBs?

    TE - Gator vs. Brackett vs. Miller vs. Wilson

    Clay and Sims are obviously locks. Arthur Lynch will be IR'd (possible designation to return?). I'd like to see Gator win that last spot. This one is definitely up for grabs based on their play Thursday night. Not sure if they'd keep 4 but if so, 4th TE should probably just be the best in-line blocker.

    WR - This is already locked up (Wallace, Hartline, Gibson, Matthews, Landry, Damian). Nobody else making it. Binns might find work elsewhere. If Hazel makes the PS, it's basically just a Hickey scholarship b/c he didn't show much of anything. Kevin Cone is probably more deserving if eligible for the PS.

    ...........out of time now...........anyone want to take it from here?

    OL?
    DL?
    LB?
    DBs?
    STs?
    Last edited by Sparky; 08-26-2014 at 09:54 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,371
    vCash
    1500
    I said long ago Daniel Thomas would be out of the league by his 5th year. If he makes the team this season I expect it to be his last season with the Dolphins. There is no place for a RB who has no speed and cant break tackles. The only thing that may keep him in the league is his pass blocking ability. You can get a 3.5 yard a carry guy anywhere.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    La Jolla, CA
    Posts
    3,917
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Who can win/keep/earn a roster spot on Thursday night?

    QB - nobody, only keeping Tanny and Moore

    RB - Damien vs. Darkwa vs. Thigpen vs. DT vs. Gillislee

    Damien Williams should already be a lock. (I actually think he should be 2nd string behind Moreno. He's easily better than Miller)

    So that really puts it between the last 4 guys listed above. Darkwa could be battling Gillislee for a PS spot, with the loser being cut.

    So I think it comes down to DT vs. Thigpen for any hope to make the 53. Philbin seems to like DT. I don't see a use for DT if he's behind Moreno/Damien/Miller. Thigpen could be moved back to RS/RB and although we wouldn't need him in the slot (since we're keeping 6 WRs), we could still use depth at RS. So maybe Thigpen has a shot.

    Or maybe we only keep 3 RBs?

    TE - Gator vs. Brackett vs. Miller vs. Wilson

    Clay and Sims are obviously locks. Arthur Lynch will be IR'd (possible designation to return?). I'd like to see Gator win that last spot. This one is definitely up for grabs based on their play Thursday night. Not sure if they'd keep 4 but if so, 4th TE should probably just be the best in-line blocker.

    WR - This is already locked up (Wallace, Hartline, Gibson, Matthews, Landry, Damian). Nobody else making it. Binns might find work elsewhere. If Hazel makes the PS, it's basically just a Hickey scholarship b/c he didn't show much of anything. Kevin Cone is probably more deserving if eligible for the PS.

    ...........out of time now...........anyone want to take it from here?

    OL?
    DL?
    LB?
    DBs?
    STs?
    OL- If we keep 9 and Pouncey isn't put on PUP, Dallas Thomas could be in trouble. (Albert, Colledge, Satele, Smith, James, Pouncey, Turner, Garner and the ninth spot could be between Thomas and Brenner.

    DL- only spot left could be a battle between AJ Francis and Anthony Johnson.

    LB- Misi, Ellerbe, Wheeler, McCain, Tripp should be locks. Trusnik, Jenkins and Freeney will be fighting for last 1 or 2 spots.

    DB- I only see 4 corners making the team. Either we will look for a 5th on the waiver wire or we roll with 4 knowing that Jimmy Wilson and Michael Thomas can play corner if needed.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    La Jolla, CA
    Posts
    3,917
    vCash
    1500
    As a fan I only have concern over 2 likely cuts. Not crazy about seeing Binns and Thigpen leaving. Other than that I'm pretty comfortable with most of the 53 man roster projections.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    2,527
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Plague View Post
    I said long ago Daniel Thomas would be out of the league by his 5th year. If he makes the team this season I expect it to be his last season with the Dolphins. There is no place for a RB who has no speed and cant break tackles. The only thing that may keep him in the league is his pass blocking ability. You can get a 3.5 yard a carry guy anywhere.
    Not sure I ever saw pass blocking ability either.

    He did flash occasionally - never consistently - and did okay at the GL - but all the other criticisms of him are fair (in addition to being injury prone). He could be hard-pressed to find another team.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    2,527
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NeutralFan View Post
    OL- If we keep 9 and Pouncey isn't put on PUP, Dallas Thomas could be in trouble. (Albert, Colledge, Satele, Smith, James, Pouncey, Turner, Garner and the ninth spot could be between Thomas and Brenner.

    DL- only spot left could be a battle between AJ Francis and Anthony Johnson.

    LB- Misi, Ellerbe, Wheeler, McCain, Tripp should be locks. Trusnik, Jenkins and Freeney will be fighting for last 1 or 2 spots.

    DB- I only see 4 corners making the team. Either we will look for a 5th on the waiver wire or we roll with 4 knowing that Jimmy Wilson and Michael Thomas can play corner if needed.

    You're right that Dallas Thomas will be lucky to make this team. Philbin seemed to like his work ethic this offseason so maybe he makes it by the skin of his teeth.

    BTW, I'm starting to wonder if Satele is one of our best 5 even after Pouncey comes back. Having Pouncey at guard could be a big boost to the line.

    Albert-Colledge-Satele-Pouncey-James

    or

    Albert-Pouncey-Satele-Shelley-James

    Could either of those be our best bet after Pouncey returns? If Satele locks down center, and Pouncey takes one of the guard spots, then we just have the winner of Colledge vs. Shelley vs. Billy take the other guard spot. Wonder if the coaches are considering that.

    DL - agreed on Francis vs. Anthony Johnson and think they're both a little banged up. Hope we can keep both.

    LB and DB - sounds about right
    Last edited by Sparky; 08-26-2014 at 02:07 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Posts
    13,177
    vCash
    1500
    Damien showed a ton vs Dallas. should make the 53.

    last RB spot between Darkwa, Thigpen, DT and I think DT is too valuable to cut. Landry can return kicks

    glad Binns is gone

    Gator should make it as he is our 2nd best TE

    idk if we keep 6 WRs but if we do #6 I dont think is on this team.

    Pouncey will be the starting center upon his return. Satele will not be a starter but depth. Smith + Turner the RGs

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    La Jolla, CA
    Posts
    3,917
    vCash
    1500
    Not sure I agree about the 6th WR not being on the team yet. Both Matthews and D. Williams have proven they belong. Only way is if we trade Hartline.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    2,527
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NeutralFan View Post
    Not sure I agree about the 6th WR not being on the team yet. Both Matthews and D. Williams have proven they belong. Only way is if we trade Hartline.
    I was thinking that myself. I've always been a Hartline fan, but he's our most attractive and replaceable asset. His contact isn't too bad, he could definitely help any team, and we could pretty easily replace him with any of Gibson/Matthews/Landry (and we'd still be deep enough).

    Wonder if SF would have interest for Boone. 49ers could also use RB depth, maybe we could throw in Miller.
    Last edited by Sparky; 08-26-2014 at 08:38 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    La Jolla, CA
    Posts
    3,917
    vCash
    1500
    It's never a popular thing to say, but I'm all for trading Hartline. Guys with good hands that run good routes but have limited physical skills are easy to replace. I have no doubt that Gibson, Matthews or Landry could catch 75 balls if targeted as much as Hartline. Difference is once they catch the ball there is no doubt they would provide better YAC than Hartline. Hartline falls over is someone breathes on him. I would be fine with Wallace, Matthews, Gibson, Landry, D. Williams and Marcus Thigpen as the WRs.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    9,435
    vCash
    1500
    Hartline is Tanny's safety blanket... they both know each other. As long as Tanny is the QB in Miami Hartline isn't going anywhere.

    Wallace is the one I think is expendable now that Damian Williams has shown he is a speed threat. If anyone bites they will take whatever they can get for Wallace. Particularly b/c of his contract money... I like Wallace a lot on this team but Tanny and Wallace can't get chemistry. Plus Tanny delivers the ball deep down the field to everyone with no problem (i.e. Hartline, Gibson, Matthews, Clay) so they don't really "need" Wallace. But Wallace opens up the field b/c teams respect his speed.

    The other WR I see maybe leaving with a trade is Gibson, never liked the signing specially when Matthews showed out in his rookie season, before Gibson got here. Ireland just fell in love with Gibson when he made the one handed catch against us while he was playing with the Rams. Plus Jarvis Landry is here as well and he is going to be a star, so probably come next season neither Wallace (30% chance he isn't a Phin imo) nor Gibson (80% chance he isn't a Phin come next season) will be on this team...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    2,527
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NeutralFan View Post
    It's never a popular thing to say, but I'm all for trading Hartline. Guys with good hands that run good routes but have limited physical skills are easy to replace. I have no doubt that Gibson, Matthews or Landry could catch 75 balls if targeted as much as Hartline. Difference is once they catch the ball there is no doubt they would provide better YAC than Hartline. Hartline falls over is someone breathes on him. I would be fine with Wallace, Matthews, Gibson, Landry, D. Williams and Marcus Thigpen as the WRs.
    Even if they didn't have room for Thigpen, we'd still be okay with just those 5 WRs. Gibson has just as good chemistry with Tanny as Hartline does.

    Wallace, Gibson, Matthews, Landry, Damian - that's still a very solid WR core.

    Damian (PR) and Damien (KR) could make Thigpen expendable.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    2,527
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by WildPhins10 View Post
    Hartline is Tanny's safety blanket... they both know each other. As long as Tanny is the QB in Miami Hartline isn't going anywhere.

    Wallace is the one I think is expendable now that Damian Williams has shown he is a speed threat. If anyone bites they will take whatever they can get for Wallace. Particularly b/c of his contract money... I like Wallace a lot on this team but Tanny and Wallace can't get chemistry. Plus Tanny delivers the ball deep down the field to everyone with no problem (i.e. Hartline, Gibson, Matthews, Clay) so they don't really "need" Wallace. But Wallace opens up the field b/c teams respect his speed.

    The other WR I see maybe leaving with a trade is Gibson, never liked the signing specially when Matthews showed out in his rookie season, before Gibson got here. Ireland just fell in love with Gibson when he made the one handed catch against us while he was playing with the Rams. Plus Jarvis Landry is here as well and he is going to be a star, so probably come next season neither Wallace (30% chance he isn't a Phin imo) nor Gibson (80% chance he isn't a Phin come next season) will be on this team...
    I don't think any team would trade for Wallace's contract.

    But I just gotta say........I can't believe how many posters I see ripping Wallace or mentioning "chemistry". Missing Wallace when he's wide open b/c after he blew by DBs has nothing to do with "chemistry".

    It has 100% to do with Tanny being unable to throw that deep go pass to save his life.

    And I'm not trying to rip Tanny. He does a lot of other things well. And he gets props for just surviving 58 sacks.

    But this Wallace hate (not you but just in general with a lot of posters) seems so unfair. I mean come on, we have one guy getting wide open and the other guy is unable to get the ball anywhere near him, and then Dolfans are either putting the blame on them equally........or worse yet......actually blaming Wallace. It's mind boggling.

    Bottom line, Wallace's contract is too big to move. Gibson is coming off an ACL, nobody's trading for him. Hartline makes the most sense. And Gibson can be that "security blanket" if Hartline was gone.

    Finally, doubt he has much value but I'd dangle Miller. I think it's clear that Damien Williams would be a better backup behind Moreno than Miller.
    Last edited by Sparky; 08-26-2014 at 11:47 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    531
    vCash
    1500
    I have no problem with the cuts made thus far. I'm glad AJ Francis was cut, because it was really between him and Anthony Johnson, and I love Johnson! Has such good upside. Binns can go. I don't forsee any other notable names being cut. As for this trade talk . . . we are not going to trade anybody. You rarely see a trade happen, especially with players being exchanged.

    I like the team we have so far. I like the Moreno/Miller combo in the backfield. I love our WR depth, and its been a long time since I could say that. Our OL is still going to cause me acid reflux on Sunday's, but it is much improved from last year (Albert alone at LT improves it, but the solid play of James also). As much as I really like Tanny as our QB, I'm still a little worried that he will find a way to lose a game more than win a game . . . I just wish the kid would use his feet more and run the ball some. I'd like to see him get about 400-450 yds rushing this year. That alone would keep defenses a little more honest.

    And our DL is stacked with talent . . . we should have one of the best Dlines in the league. QBs' should be pressured all day against us. Our DB are as solid as ever. Our LB core is our only true weakness this year on any side of the ball.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    La Jolla, CA
    Posts
    3,917
    vCash
    1500
    I agree that a trade likely won't happen, I just said that if it were up to me I would try to move Hartline. I don't see the love affair with him. He's average and he's never going to be more than a chain mover, of which we have plenty of options to replace his production. I would trade him and use the savings to extend Clay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •