Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Top 5 post players in the NBA

The thread about the modern game and how the low post has been lost got me thinking... who do you have as the top 5 post players in the league right now?

Jefferson? Gasol? Aldridge? Duncan? Who you got?

vCash
    Hmm...
    Aldridge at the moment is the best imo.

I still think Duncan is elite. Al Jefferson is good yeah, Zach Randolph too. Not sure on the Gasol bros.
    If by 'post', you also include the high post, I'm inclined to say Dirk Nowitzki as well and maybe Melo.
    But low post it's the 4 I mentioned for sure but I don't want to complete a top 5 as I don't remember all players that are capable of that style of play. Scola for example is a very good low post player but I don't think he's top 5. Pekovic could be the fifth one but I dunno...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYKalltheway View Post
    Hmm...
    Aldridge at the moment is the best imo.

I still think Duncan is elite. Al Jefferson is good yeah, Zach Randolph too. Not sure on the Gasol bros.
    If by 'post', you also include the high post, I'm inclined to say Dirk Nowitzki as well and maybe Melo.
    But low post it's the 4 I mentioned for sure but I don't want to complete a top 5 as I don't remember all players that are capable of that style of play. Scola for example is a very good low post player but I don't think he's top 5. Pekovic could be the fifth one but I dunno...
    I quite like Marc Gasols low post game, he has this nice spin move that looks simple but it's sort of tricky, almost like a vet move, I've seen him drop that on the Warriors bigs more than once lol. He does tend to take really quick shots though which sometimes bother me, wish he was more patient. He has some very good mid-high post moves as well, has a decent hook on him.

Pau was always better suited to be that pinch post guy for the Lakers. He has some decent moves in the low post though.

vCash
    Right now the best post players imo are:
    1)Duncan
    2)Dirk
    3)Gasol brothers(they are both crazy good in the post)
    4)Aldridge
    5)Kobe( who is also the only guard I'd put in this ranking along with Miller.)

Honorable mentions: Jefferson,Andre Miller,Lopez(when healthy he's very good in the post),Anthony(very crafty moves),Gortat.

I've considered players who have better skill on offense from the post(Obviously Gasol's post is different from Dirk's post,but they are both equally lethal imo,that's why I ranked them together.)
    Last edited by PurpleLynch; 08-26-2014 at 09:24 AM.

"No tats on the right arm.Strictly for buckets" -Nick Young A.K.A Swaggy-P

vCash
    Andre Miller is a good shout lol. Forgot about him, guards playing in the post is far from common these days.

vCash
    I actually think Aldridge's low post game is crazy overrated. Watching him last season for six straight playoff games, he settles for jumpers way too often and I very rarely ever see him score out of the low post with his back to the basket. Numbers back me up. According to 82games.com, 79% of Aldridge's shots last season came from jumpers. And according to basketball reference, fewer than 19% of his shot attempts last season came within 3 feet, while he took more shots from 10-16 feet (41.5%) than 0-10 feet (34.8%).

Here's a pretty decent article from SI breaking down five guys with the best low post moves:
    http://www.si.com/nba/point-forward/...n-lebron-james

Although another guy I'm surprised no one has mentioned is Zach Randolph. Even at this stage in his career, he's about as skilled in the post as anyone in the league. I was also really impressed with Dwight's repertoire of post moves last season considering how much **** he gets for poor post play. He's really, really hard to defend one-on-one and his spin move is damn near unstoppable with one defender. That being said, I still wouldn't rank him in the top five.

vCash
    If we are talking low post D12 is definitely a top 5 player. It might not be pretty all the time but if you let him catch it on the block with a foot in the paint you are in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

vCash
    Antoine Walker
    #66 LaAdrian Waddle

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    If we are talking low post D12 is definitely a top 5 player. It might not be pretty all the time but if you let him catch it on the block with a foot in the paint you are in trouble.
    Dwight Howard's low post game is terrible, it really is. Most of his points come on alley oops, put backs and when he already has position down low.

He's not the kind of person you dump it off to when you need a score at the end of the game and say go to work, get us a bucket.

Your baby can't do this

vCash
    This thread really shows that players have gone away from more traditional ways of basketball.. For years some of the best players in the league were big guys, shaq Kareem, wilt, Hakeem, now we are having a hard time putting together a top 5 post players in the NBA.. And some are naming guards like Kobe and Andre miller and it's legit, the day of the big man is coming to an end.

Your baby can't do this

vCash
    Ten posts in and no mention of Cousins? He's probably a better post player than most of the names mentioned above, yes even better than Aldridge.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydubb View Post
    Dwight Howard's low post game is terrible, it really is. Most of his points come on alley oops, put backs and when he already has position down low.
    That's actually not true. That's the generalization when people talk about Dwight and they don't actually watch him play. He does get points on put-backs and alley oops, but a lot of his scoring comes from one-on-one work in the post. Only 41% of his shot attempts around the paint last season were assisted and only 2% (or 0.2 PPG) came from tip-ins.

He's not the kind of person you dump it off to when you need a score at the end of the game and say go to work, get us a bucket.
    But that has more to do with his poor free throw shooting than anything. Teams want to foul him late in games, and they'll foul him hard if it prevents him from getting an easy bucket. Shaq had the same problem late in games at times.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I actually think Aldridge's low post game is crazy overrated. Watching him last season for six straight playoff games, he settles for jumpers way too often and I very rarely ever see him score out of the low post with his back to the basket. Numbers back me up. According to 82games.com, 79% of Aldridge's shots last season came from jumpers. And according to basketball reference, fewer than 19% of his shot attempts last season came within 3 feet, while he took more shots from 10-16 feet (41.5%) than 0-10 feet (34.8%).

Here's a pretty decent article from SI breaking down five guys with the best low post moves:
    http://www.si.com/nba/point-forward/...n-lebron-james

Although another guy I'm surprised no one has mentioned is Zach Randolph. Even at this stage in his career, he's about as skilled in the post as anyone in the league. I was also really impressed with Dwight's repertoire of post moves last season considering how much **** he gets for poor post play. He's really, really hard to defend one-on-one and his spin move is damn near unstoppable with one defender. That being said, I still wouldn't rank him in the top five.
    Zach Randolph is a very good post player indeed,I've should have mention him,but he relies more on his body than pure skill imo.
    Lebron James is also a good player in the post,but I can't put him in the top 5,there are players far more skilled in the post than him,even Kobe.
    Howard played very well in the playoffs,but I can't say that Howard is now a top 5 player in the post. He has just like 3-4 moves(the same he had when he was a Magic) from the post and played just one playoff round against a team that wasn't known for his defense.
    Aldridge averaged like 30ppg against Houston in the 1st round,so I wouldn't say that his post game is crazy overrated,right now he's in my top 5 even if he has a limited game close to the basket(like Nowitzki for example).

"No tats on the right arm.Strictly for buckets" -Nick Young A.K.A Swaggy-P

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleLynch View Post
    Aldridge averaged like 30ppg against Houston in the 1st round,so I wouldn't say that his post game is crazy overrated,right now he's in my top 5 even if he has a limited game close to the basket(like Nowitzki for example).
    But did you watch the series? Because I did. And the vast majority of his offense was either jump shots or baskets made while driving to the rim. Very little post work by him in that series. And the crazy thing about it was that he wasn't even taking good jump shots. He was taking contested 15-footers all series long and just making them. That reason alone is why I think Houston is still a far better team than Portland and would beat them more often than not in a seven-game series. Aldridge just is not as good as his numbers would indicate from that series, and there's no way he could be that lucky again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    That's actually not true. That's the generalization when people talk about Dwight and they don't actually watch him play. He does get points on put-backs and alley oops, but a lot of his scoring comes from one-on-one work in the post. Only 41% of his shot attempts around the paint last season were assisted and only 2% (or 0.2 PPG) came from tip-ins.

But that has more to do with his poor free throw shooting than anything. Teams want to foul him late in games, and they'll foul him hard if it prevents him from getting an easy bucket. Shaq had the same problem late in games at times.
    OK I can go for this, I've never seen this stat before or know where you get it. Is 43% on putbacks and assists kinda high, low, or in the middle of the pack because if I was to guess, I would say it's on the higher end.

Your baby can't do this

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast