Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Flaws vs Strengths

Entering the season here is my quick assessment on our strengths and weaknesses:

Weakness:

Safety. Landry is always hurt, and we didn't exactly get a rangy center fielder that compliments him. No Howell means depth is worse.

CB health. Toler/Davis hurt a lot last season. Butler is hurt right now.

Pass rush. Even with Mathis, it isn't good enough... unless Werner overtakes Walden and becomes a pass rush monster.

Interior offensive line. LG is a rookie, C is a guy with 12 career snaps coming off a sprained ankle, RG is a guy who was one of the worst interior linemen according to Pro Football Focus.

RB... Ballard already hurt, Bradshaw is injury prone, Richardson hasn't shown drastic improvement.

Strength:

QBs - Luck is top 5. Hasselbeck is probably a top 10 backup.

WRs - So deep that Rogers or Whalen won't make team/see the field.

TEs - Allen is elite. Fleener good compliment to him as a TE that can stretch field.

MLBs - Freeman solid. Jackson has been impressive so far. McNary was good last season. Sheppard serviceable 4th ILB.

DLine depth - Chapman is most impressive player, Jones already making impact. Redding is always good and RJF is a good rotational player.

Kicker/Punter - Vin is Vin. Hard to compare McAfee to other punters around the league.

Does anyone disagree with this?
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    Mostly I agree. I think TRich has shown alot of improvement and the Oline with Holmes in it looks improved IMO. Healthy, we will be just fine overall. Problem is were never healthy it seems.

Lucks on our side

vCash
    It's still amazing to me how many times Whalen has been cut and moved to the practice squad and then no one picked him up...I don't think we will have the option of moving them as either Whalen or DaRick will be picked up pretty quick if we have to cut one of them.

vCash
    It is good that our strengths outweigh the flaws by far. Mainly thanks to none other than Andrew Luck(god bless Indy). I hope Mumba makes the team to add even more depth at LB. Maybe at the expense of Shepp because he has lit up the preseason. Considering the health concerns at WR I think they keep both Whalen and DaRick on the 53. I'm not sure why no-one has brought this up, but why isn't Landry being developed into that rangy FS? He has dominate speed to cover the field and it would take some hits off him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ponderingpluto View Post
    It is good that our strengths outweigh the flaws by far. Mainly thanks to none other than Andrew Luck(god bless Indy). I hope Mumba makes the team to add even more depth at LB. Maybe at the expense of Shepp because he has lit up the preseason. Considering the health concerns at WR I think they keep both Whalen and DaRick on the 53. I'm not sure why no-one has brought this up, but why isn't Landry being developed into that rangy FS? He has dominate speed to cover the field and it would take some hits off him.
    Landry has never been developed into a FS because he's been one of the worst cover safeties in the NFL throughout his career, so teams probably just like him in the box as a run supporter. I guess some people just lack the instincts needed to be a ball hawking safety. Dude's basically a LB body playing safety.
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants1213 View Post
    Landry has never been developed into a FS because he's been one of the worst cover safeties in the NFL throughout his career, so teams probably just like him in the box as a run supporter. I guess some people just lack the instincts needed to be a ball hawking safety. Dude's basically a LB body playing safety.
    Yea.. I'm really keeping an eye on who Denver cuts. The are loaded in the secondary and someone will have to go.

Update: Denver cut Duke Ihenacho. He is a starter quality SS, but lacks in coverage. Excellent depth and I will be very disappointed if we do not add him.
    Last edited by ponderingpluto; 08-30-2014 at 02:08 PM.

vCash
    Agree with your strengths/weakness SF. I'm hesitant to put RB there...there's just a lot of uncertainty there. I think Herron is going to help out in terms of spelling both Bradshaw and Richardson.

O-Line will be one to watch throughout the season again...basically their performance will determine if our best rusher will be Richardson/Bradshaw or Andrew Luck

#iubb