Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Why are we not giving the max to Rubio?

Okay, so before you all get after me for suggesting Rubio is worth max money...He isn't right now, I believe 14 million a year is great money for what he gives us.

My question though is...What else would we spend that money on over the next two years? If we give him the max now that locks him up especially when TV deals are supposed to raise the salary cap in 2016. The salary cap is projected to go up by a max contract from what I've heard.

So we have a few expiring contracts still, a lot of rookie contracts, Martin, Brewer, Budginer, and Pekosaurus. Are we expecting to bring in any top talent? Bring in new talent to play over our guys that we want to see on the court?

If we have to give him the max, sure let's do it and enjoy some great passing and defense and pray his jumper can become a weapon...(maybe not a sharp knife, but as damaging as a butter knife! ) We have 4 years of Wiggins and LaVine, 3 years of Bennett. The odds of all of them getting huge money is rather slim. Pek has 3 years I believe left to his contract.

Thoughts?

vCash
    2 Words...Andrew Wiggins. Rubio is being offered 4 years $43 million which is about $10-$11 million which is more than enough for him. Andrew Wiggins is the Wolves franchise player, so they'll probably just wait to make him their 5 year designated player.

vCash
    whoes to say we arent? They are in negotiations right now, Rubio isnt worth the max, so they arent going to just come flat out and give it to him without trying to negotiate a little.

Otherwise good points, and Rubio's camp probably knows some of those points too...and are using it to their advantage. Flip's mind also might be on giving Wiggins the 5 year deal, much like Kahn's mind was on giving Rubio the 5 year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleJesus View Post
    whoes to say we arent? They are in negotiations right now, Rubio isnt worth the max, so they arent going to just come flat out and give it to him without trying to negotiate a little.

Otherwise good points, and Rubio's camp probably knows some of those points too...and are using it to their advantage. Flip's mind also might be on giving Wiggins the 5 year deal, much like Kahn's mind was on giving Rubio the 5 year.
    I think I am confused on the designated player tactic. If we give Rubio the max, is it once a decade? Or can only have one on the team at a time? The max will go to Wiggins. Giving a max to Rubio now though might be the going rate for a player that currently is worth 14 million. What I am getting at is inflation. Not the actual money itself but as teams have more money the best players will want more of that chunk. A 14 million player becomes an 18 million player when the new Max would be around 25 million or so, idk the numbers.

vCash
    There are a few reason we shouldn't give Rubio the max:

1.) Why should the Wolves give in to a player negotiations? It just shows the rest of the league that they can be taken advantage of in future negotiations.

2.) Rubio clearly isn't worth the max at this time and if we're going to give out a max deal I would much rather give it to Bledsoe since he fits our current team mold much better.

3.) You want to have flexibility in the future and overpaying players is going to throw that opportunity out the window.

In the end, if you look at the situation you conceivably could give Rubio the max but I think it would be a regret in 2 years when Rubio's development peaks. You have to remember that he has been playing since a teen in Europe which limits his upside at this point in his career.

A 4 year 48M deal seems reasonable to me.

vCash
    4/48 is a ton of money for Rubio considering where this team is right now... It could be a post-Love reaction I'm having but I'd give Bledsoe the max if it were next year and we had seen this roster play fairly well with each other. In fact, I think that would be a great route for this team to grow from "talented" to "mediocre" to "playoffs." We'll have max money to give out next year and a player like Bledsoe would be the type of player we target.

vCash
    because he isn't worth near the max??

Rubio has already turned down 4 years, $43 million. Good. Ideally, he now needs to step up his game, to try and get that deal on the open market, in which case we can match. If he doesn't show improvement, his value settles itself. If some stupid team STILL gives him a huge deal after another season of missed layups, jumpers, and turnovers, let him walk.

Flip can't just get scared and overpay the crap out of Rubio just because we don't have another capable starting PG on the roster. Rubio is replaceable guys, there is no need to worry about it.

Hopefully he has a season where he is a 14/9/5/2.5 player with a TS% creeping at league average. If he does, by all means, we match an offer in RFA. No need to give him a huge deal now. At all.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post

Rubio has already turned down 4 years, $43 million. Good. Ideally, he now needs to step up his game, to try and get that deal on the open market, in which case we can match. If he doesn't show improvement, his value settles itself. If some stupid team STILL gives him a huge deal after another season of missed layups, jumpers, and turnovers, let him walk.

Flip can't just get scared and overpay the crap out of Rubio just because we don't have another capable starting PG on the roster. Rubio is replaceable guys, there is no need to worry about it.

Hopefully he has a season where he is a 14/9/5/2.5 player with a TS% creeping at league average. If he does, by all means, we match an offer in RFA. No need to give him a huge deal now. At all.
    Yes. Rubio hardly provides stability for this roster. No way I'm handing a max or near max deal for a guy who isn't even providing stability. Until he can score in times which matter or at least be average with his shot there is no way in hell I give him 15m per year or more.

If Rubio showed a pertinacity for late game scoring or was shooting at league average rates (as well as his defense and passing in the open court) I'd give him 15. The lack of scoring ability or late game aggressiveness (while the game is close) kills his value.

vCash
    [QUOTE=Hawkeye15;28969166]because he isn't worth near the max??

Hopefully he has a season where he is a 14/9/5/2.5 player with a TS% creeping at league average. If he does, by all means, we match an offer in RFA. No need to give him a huge deal now. At all.[/QUOTE]

Bingo!

Because we don't need to. He can set his market and if need be sing the qualifying offer we still have 2 years to find replacement and I love Ricky but as Hawk says he is very replaceable.

vCash
    I will say, barring an injury, Rubio has no excuses this year. All I have heard is, "he needs athletes!". Well, he has them now. He is going into year 4 of his NBA career, after a fully healthy year and a summer.

If he doesn't make a leap this year, I offer him average starter money and don't budge. If he gets a deal in RFA that is of all star caliber player money, goodbye.

Time to step up Ricky.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    [QUOTE=Hawkeye15;28969579]I will say, barring an injury, Rubio has no excuses this year. All I have heard is, "he needs athletes!". Well, he has them now. He is going into year 4 of his NBA career, after a fully healthy year and a summer.

If he doesn't make a leap this year, I offer him average starter money and don't budge. If he gets a deal in RFA that is of all star caliber player money, goodbye.

Time to step up Ricky.[/QUOTE]

LEAD this team to a playoff birth, shoot consistently better - say league average and continue with all the other stats........ THEN we can talk max or close to it.

vCash
    I will say, barring an injury, Rubio has no excuses this year. All I have heard is, "he needs athletes!". Well, he has them now. He is going into year 4 of his NBA career, after a fully healthy year and a summer.

Time to step up Ricky.
    Exactly. Aside from hurt feelings and the like, the only downside to waiting until restricted free agency to come to a deal is that we can't give him a 5th year, but it's debatable as to whether you'd want him signed that long or not as things stand now.

What's the worst case otherwise? S&T? Does he really have the balls to play out a 1-year QO? Then, does the team that's willing to pay him still have cap? I'm a big Rubio fan/supporter but he needs to prove his worth if he wants to get paid.

vCash
    He has always wanted to play in the NBA. Now he's watched love handle himself first hand. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a "max money or I'm out " mentality. At the end of the day if he can't play well enough for a contract the wolves can't or don't want to match he'll probably find himself here for a while.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WSU Tony View Post
    He has always wanted to play in the NBA. Now he's watched love handle himself first hand. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a "max money or I'm out " mentality. At the end of the day if he can't play well enough for a contract the wolves can't or don't want to match he'll probably find himself here for a while.
    I really think we'll be in the playoffs within two years, but next year as Emmanual Muddiah and 2016 is loaded with PG's as well. I will always think the floor general needs to be able to score to lead a team. Wall, Rose, Paul, D-Will, Jennings, I would love to have a PG that can do it on both ends.

2015...Year of the big man, 2016 year of the little one The next 2 drafts could get pretty interesting. But I am also tired of seeing drafts for us.

vCash

I am with you. As much as I like Rubio, his flaws prevent him from being a max player. If he improves, by all means - pay him.

PSD Grammar Lesson #1:

a) their - stands for "belonging to them"
    b) there - means "over there" as in location
    c) they're - short for "they are"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast