Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

These players hit the market

Would you be fine with your team offering the max on a full salary cap ($13,800,000 per) over 8 years. I notice a lot of second and even third/fourth tiers are getting the max in the NBA. Would you pay these players that much on the market.

Jonathan Toews
    Anze Kopitar
    Corey Perry
    Alex Piertrangelo
    John Tavares
    Taylor Hall
    Pat Kane
    Tuukka Rask

Now think about it some more. Toews for example just resigned for 10.5 AND you'd be getting him with giving nothing up. However none of these guys are top 7 players but would be paid like one here...highest paid player in salary cap era.

Second question. Would you sign any of these players?

Joe Thornton - 3Y/30M
    Pavel Datsyuk - 2Y/26M
    Zdeno Chara - 4Y/ 36M
    Martin St. Louis - 2Y/18M
    Patrick Marleau - 3Y/24M
    Brent Seabrook - 6Y/54M
    Dustin Buff - 6Y/40M
    Jeff Carter - 1Y/12M
    Last edited by BranWingss; 08-23-2014 at 10:16 PM.

vCash
    Jonthan Toews isn't top 7? Bran, I get that you think Toews is overrated, but your perception of how other people view him has cause you to severely underrate Toews if you think he isn't top 7.

After Hours album out 4/29

When you're having fun... Timeflies

vCash
    To answer your question though, no I probably wouldn't sign any of them to the max considering that the Caps have already proven that signing one player to a ton of money will severely hamper your quest for a Cup. To the 2nd part, the only one i'd consider is Carter because it would only be for one year and Seabrook since he's young enough, but a 9M cap hit would be too high for that ing of a term. Everyone else in that list is a firm no.

After Hours album out 4/29

When you're having fun... Timeflies

vCash
    Eh OK you can say it but it wasn't the point

vCash
    MSL makes around 5.6 now. I'd be shocked if anyone signed him for 2 years and 18 million dollars.

Most those salaries are just way too high to touch in my mind but you never know. Somebody might take the gamble on 1 or 2. It might take a team down on its luck looking to make a major change.

vCash
    Thing is, you look at the free agency list the past few years and check the top players that hit. Many are third/second liners. You then look at the increase in salary and getting these players without a trade.

I think Tpews for example could get the max. I think people would in fact look at a couple of these salaries and pick them up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    Thing is, you look at the free agency list the past few years and check the top players that hit. Many are third/second liners. You then look at the increase in salary and getting these players without a trade.

I think Tpews for example could get the max. I think people would in fact look at a couple of these salaries and pick them up.

I understand the premise. I just think many of those guys will be way past their prime so contenders are unlikely to have such huge amounts of cap room to overpay by a lot.

Toews might be worth the 13 mill risk now but he will be around 35 the next time he is a UFA.

vCash
    Wouldn't even give Crosby the max amount. 2 7m forwards are a lot more valuable than Sidney Crosby taking up that amount of space.

As for the contracts you listed:

Way overpaid(3+mil) : Datsyuk, Thornton, Carter

About right (overpaid by a million or so): Chara, Marleau, Seabroo

vCash
    I'd consider it for Toews or Tavares. They're game changers and young, depending what my teams situation was financially and how my farm looked.

lol, small kid got tripped by a tuba player

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcCrawford:28961405
    Wouldn't even give Crosby the max amount. 2 7m forwards are a lot more valuable than Sidney Crosby taking up that amount of space.

As for the contracts you listed:

Way overpaid(3+mil) : Datsyuk, Thornton, Carter

About right (overpaid by a million or so): Chara, Marleau, Seabroo
    So you think Phil Kessel + Thomas Vanek is more valuable than Crosby? I think I would disagree. Personally I'd rather have the generational talent. A 7M forward, isn't what it used to be.

lol, small kid got tripped by a tuba player

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SLY WILLIAMS View Post
    MSL makes around 5.6 now. I'd be shocked if anyone signed him for 2 years and 18 million dollars.

Most those salaries are just way too high to touch in my mind but you never know. Somebody might take the gamble on 1 or 2. It might take a team down on its luck looking to make a major change.
    I'd think Calgary would try if they could. Don't seem to have much else going for them.

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

vCash
    In a Vacuum, no I wouldn't give any of those guys the max. However if I was a small market team I think I could talk myself into one of Toews or Kane.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homie564 View Post
    So you think Phil Kessel + Thomas Vanek is more valuable than Crosby? I think I would disagree. Personally I'd rather have the generational talent. A 7M forward, isn't what it used to be.
    I would take Kessel & Vanek over Crosby. Give me quality depth vs. a superstar all day.

Non~Bruins Watch
    Filip Forsberg
    4GP / 1G / 4A / +5

vCash
    I would consider Vanek and Kessel if it were somebody worth his contract instead of Vanek haha. I do agree that having one superstar is incredibly overrated. Penguins have had the two best players in the league for years now but have only one won Cup and that was like 5 or 6 years ago now. They've generally had decent (not terrible, not great) depth but teams like Boston that can roll 4 lines and three pairings and have a better goalie just seem to roll over them in the playoffs these days (same as what they did to Detroit).
    Quote Originally Posted by Trueblue2 View Post
    And there's no shame in banging fat chicks. They're normally down to do anything and theyll build your confidence. Even Mike trout had to tear up the minors before he got called up to the show.

EDIT: do not use tinder to tear up minors, you will go to jail.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OneManIsNoMan View Post
    I would take Kessel & Vanek over Crosby. Give me quality depth vs. a superstar all day.
    Totally disagree. Stastny just got 7 million. Let's say Vanek-Stastny top line C-LW, or an NHL min guy with Crosby. I'll take the NHL min guy with Crosby. When you start factoring in other attributes of these players, special teams, etc it gets more complicated, but even if Stastny and Vanek get 150 points together (Unlikely) Crosby will get 110-120 and then you need that LW to get 30-40 just top match, and with the garbage points just form playing with Crosby I think you're easily looking at 50.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CHj0dMkK6A

New Video. Isles season highlights 2011-12!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast