Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

It's Official - K. Love to the Cavaliers

The long-awaited Kevin Love trade from the Minnesota Timberwolves to the Cleveland Cavaliers will finally be formalized soon, but there was an unexpected twist near the end: Anthony Bennett won't go to the Philadelphia 76ers as part of the three-team deal after all.

According to a person with knowledge of the deal that will be finalized on Saturday, the Cavaliers forward and 2013 No. 1 pick who was rumored to be headed for the 76ers will be retained by the Timberwolves. He'll join 2014 No. 1 pick and fellow Cavaliers youngster Andrew Wiggins in Minnesota, where the Timberwolves will also receive 76ers forward Thaddeus Young and a trade exception (which allows teams to acquire players via trade without taking players back in return) worth more than $5 million.

Minnesota will send Luc Mbah a Moute, Alexey Shved (both expiring contracts) and a 2015 first-round pick (via the Miami Heat) to Philadelphia. The Cavaliers, of course, land the three-time All-Star in Love who will join LeBron James, Kyrie Irving & Co. on the most unexpected of title contenders. The person spoke to USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity because the deal — which was delayed because of league rules relating to Wiggins' contract — can't be formalized until Saturday.

The Minneapolis Star Tribune first reported that the final terms of the three-team trade had been agreed upon.

When the deal was first agreed on in principle in early August, it was a two-team trade in which the Timberwolves would land Wiggins, Bennett and a future first-round pick. Instead, they'll add Wiggins, Bennett, and Young to the roster that still includes the likes of point guard Ricky Rubio, shooting guard Kevin Martin, small forward Corey Brewer and center Nikola Pekovic from its 2013-14 starting lineup.

Minnesota, which went 40-42 last season before president of basketball operations Flip Saunders decided to add the head coaching role to his duties in the wake of Rick Adelman's retirement, is hopeful that the injection of young and athletic talent coupled with the veteran presence can make for a positive situation. Still, the odds of the Timberwolves ending their decade-long playoff drought anytime soon in the loaded Western Conference certainly appear slim.

The 76ers, meanwhile, continue down their longest of rebuilding roads while losing their best player from their awful 2013-14 campaign (19-63). Young, who averaged a career high of 17.9 points, six rebounds and 2.1 steals last season, is entering the final year of his deal.

As for the Cavaliers, they get their man in Love at a relative bargain. Wiggins was an asset they never expected to have at their disposal for this sort of game-changing scenario, as they entered the draft lottery with a 1.7% chance of drafting first overall and walked away with their third top pick in the last four years. The Bennett subplot wasn't nearly as much of a surprise the year prior, as Cleveland entered with the best odds of landing the top pick of any team (15.6%) and surprised the masses by taking Bennett out of UNLV. And now, both players have allowed these most-fortunate Cavaliers to do what they couldn't do when James was there the first time around (2003-10): give him not only one formidable co-star, but two.

James made his surprising decision to leave the Miami Heat last month without knowing that Love would be part of the Cavaliers' plan, but he now finds himself heading a roster that should be among the Eastern Conference elite. As James said in his Sports Illustrated essay explaining his decision to return to his home state, "My patience will get tested."
    Just not nearly as much as he may have thought back then.

vCash
    Lol Gilbert cries foul in 2011 to nix the cp3 trade only to do the same thing less than 3 years later.
    Quote Originally Posted by nessythegreat View Post
    This is getting old. Enough is enough. Redskin Is not offensive and it will never change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I want to start a website where people who say this video tape themselves going up to Native Americans and go "hey what's up redskin?" and then upload what happens.

I'll call it WhatsUpRedskin.com

You want to go first?
    I fully support this future site.

vCash

it's final - k love to the cavaliers

Wolves got some solid pieces. It would be awesome to see them take off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    Wolves got some solid pieces. It would be awesome to see them take off.
    Wolves would be a playoff team in the East. It would be funny if they beat Cleveland when they meet, doubt it but I can hope.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinTime View Post
    Wolves would be a playoff team in the East. It would be funny if they beat Cleveland when they meet, doubt it but I can hope.
    I think this years wolves could be an 8 seed in last years east but I don't see it this year.

Washington, Charlotte, Miami, Cleveland, Toronto, Chicago are clearly better while the Knicks, Pacers and Nets are arguably better.

And I say this about THIS years Wolves. I think in two years they will be a playoff team in the West.
    "I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty-headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries! "

vCash
    I'd probably cry and have to use my tears as lubricant to shame myself...

Wolves definitely got a VERY good package for a guy that was 1000% on his way out. So kudos to them. And kudos for keeping the Canadians together. I truly hope they do well in Minny, and I'll be watching the Wolves again this year just to see how they do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JLeBeau76 View Post
    I think this years wolves could be an 8 seed in last years east but I don't see it this year.

Washington, Charlotte, Miami, Cleveland, Toronto, Chicago are clearly better while the Knicks, Pacers and Nets are arguably better.

And I say this about THIS years Wolves. I think in two years they will be a playoff team in the West.
    Pacers without George aren't better I know that much. I haven't really been paying attention to the Knicks what did they do to get better? Brooklyn lost some players but will have Lopez back and a years worth of experience so I agree they might be better.

I really don't know what to expect from the Wolves but I do expect Bennett and Wiggins to be hungry to prove themselves after all they've been through and I would not be surprised if they were a lot better than people may think. Minnesota has a lot of good 2-way players on their team right now and any time you have a squad that can play elite defense you can expect surprises.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Confusious View Post
    I'd probably cry and have to use my tears as lubricant to shame myself...

Wolves definitely got a VERY good package for a guy that was 1000% on his way out. So kudos to them. And kudos for keeping the Canadians together. I truly hope they do well in Minny, and I'll be watching the Wolves again this year just to see how they do.
    Nothing would give me more pleasure than seeing Lebron egotistical *** lose to Wiggins. That Lebron face would be priceless if it happened.

vCash
    the twolves got off great in this trade they could make the playoffs out west nobody knows how good wiggins and bennet can be plus young is a good replacement for love this might be like the melo trade when the nuggets got better after trading melo Rubio is the perfect pg for wiggins and is very underrated along with pek the wolves aren't going to be a lottery team next year
    C:\Users\sunny\Pictures\combine_images.jpg
    #tanknation

vCash
    The Wolves will definitely be an exciting team to watch.

vCash

it's final - k love to the cavaliers

Quote Originally Posted by east fb knicks View Post
    the twolves got off great in this trade they could make the playoffs out west nobody knows how good wiggins and bennet can be plus young is a good replacement for love this might be like the melo trade when the nuggets got better after trading melo Rubio is the perfect pg for wiggins and is very underrated along with pek the wolves aren't going to be a lottery team next year
    Ehhh I think I like this trade for the wolves more then most non timberwolves fans do, but I don't think they'll make the playoffs this year.. The west is waaaay too stacked. I can see them being a top 4 team in 3-5 years tho when these young guys mature. Only time will tell, I'll definitely keep an eye out in them this year tho wit my league pass

Your baby can't do this

vCash
    What a great deal for the Twolves - (and an understandably exciting one for the Cavs).

vCash
    wait so.. wolves couldn't make the playoffs with kevin love, who is supposedly a superstar. but with the addition of bennet/wiggins/young some people are saying they can?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bucketss View Post
    wait so.. wolves couldn't make the playoffs with kevin love, who is supposedly a superstar. but with the addition of bennet/wiggins/young some people are saying they can?
    They lost a so-called superstar who plays 0 D in Love and added 4 future 2-way caliber players according to Flip Saunders. I have to see more of Bennett's defense because I never thought he was that great on d even in college but apparently Mike Brown said he was the Cavs best pick-and-roll defender last year so we'll see. Lavine is raw defensively as well but he has all the athleticism to be good. Thad Young and Wiggins can already play d so I think the T-wolves could definitely be better than last year. Cleveland gave up way too much in this trade, Love isn't even willing to sign an extension at this time.

vCash
    They lost a so-called superstar who plays 0 D in Love and added 4 future 2-way caliber players according to Flip Saunders. I have to see more of Bennett's defense because I never thought he was that great on d even in college but apparently Mike Brown said he was the Cavs best pick-and-roll defender last year so we'll see. Lavine is raw defensively as well but he has all the athleticism to be good. Thad Young and Wiggins can already play d so I think the T-wolves could definitely be better than last year. Cleveland gave up way too much in this trade, Love isn't even willing to sign an extension at this time.
    Remember, Cleveland offered Waiters, Bennett and the number one pick before the draft for Love (that would have been too much). Also, when you think about it honestly, the Cavs only gave up two unproven talents and a pick they got for LeBron to get arguably the top PF in the game.

I'm not saying the Wolves didn't do great in getting what they got but don't act like we traded the family cow for a few beans, lol.

It was win-win all around and everyone got what they were looking for.

Also, sorry, but AB was horribly slow on defense last season. That was the main reason Brown barely played him. Being trimmed down, he should have more to offer on that end.
    "I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty-headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries! "

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast