Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Dodgers are literally buying another baseball team! (changing AAA affiliates)

The Los Angeles Dodgers will be shifting their Triple-A affiliation from Albuquerque to Oklahoma City next season, according to multiple sources.

A group affiliated with the Dodgers is on the brink of purchasing the local pro baseball team. The group is in the final stages of contract negotiations that began several weeks ago with Mandalay, which announced earlier this year it would be selling its five minor league baseball properties.

The ownership group that is purchasing the team and the selling price are unknown. RedHawks president and general manager Michael Byrnes declined to comment on the Dodgers-to-OKC report or the new ownership group that will be purchasing the team.

According to sources, Mandalay will sell the RedHawks for between $22 and $28 million.

One possibility is that Dodgers’ part-owner Peter Guber, chairman and CEO of Mandalay Entertainment Group, will be involved with the Oklahoma City franchise ownership group but possibly not to the extent St. Louis went this past year when the Cardinals officially purchased their Triple-A affiliate in Memphis.

The Dodgers reportedly have been searching for a city more suitable to evaluate their top prospects. Starting last season, the Dodgers have required Isotopes officials to place baseballs in a humidor to try to counteract the effects of the thin, dry air, Albuquerque being 5,300 feet above sea level.

The Dodgers have been affiliated with Albuquerque for a total of 44 years, but only for the past six consecutive years in addition to a previous 38-year run (1963-2000). After being without a team for two years, Albuquerque rejoined the PCL as the Miami Marlins’ Triple-A affiliate for six years (2003-2008) before hooking up with the Dodgers for the past six years.

The Modesto Bee has reported several major league teams might switch their PCL Triple-A affiliates, stating Oakland plans to move from Sacramento to Nashville’s new park and the Giants will then move their affiliate from Fresno to Sacramento.
    Dodgers are moving from Albuquerque to Oklahoma City for their PCL baseball. From what I've heard, Oklahoma City is a slightly more neutral ballpark than in Albuquerque, where it's a hitter heaven, so it should be a little bit better on Dodgers pitching prospects, but still good for hitters.

vCash
    and... just as I posted this, their are reports this MIGHT not be true..........

vCash
    This would be awesome if true

Your baby can't do this

4. 08-22-2014, 10:28 PM
    Reason
    posting personal info

vCash
    ...Double post.

6. 08-22-2014, 11:06 PM
    Reason
    quoting deleted post

vCash
    Losing the Topes writer will suck. Great guy and I hope another good org comes along for him.

Lee, Reed and every other Dodgers pitching prospect must be over the moon. I've heard ABQ is worse for pitchers than Colorado. Is that true?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgerB24 View Post
    Losing the Topes writer will suck. Great guy and I hope another good org comes along for him.

Lee, Reed and every other Dodgers pitching prospect must be over the moon. I've heard ABQ is worse for pitchers than Colorado. Is that true?
    Pretty much... the pitchers will be pretty happy, but a decent amount of runs would/will still be scored in Oklahoma City. Plus, I mean even if this move happens they will still be playing in other hitter heaven PCL ballparks, runs will still be scored.

vCash
    Why the hell do they want to move the AAA team so far away? Las Vegas and Albuquerque were ideal locations.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LASportsFan1996 View Post
    Dodgers are moving from Albuquerque to Oklahoma City for their PCL baseball. From what I've heard, Oklahoma City is a slightly more neutral ballpark than in Albuquerque, where it's a hitter heaven, so it should be a little bit better on Dodgers pitching prospects, but still good for hitters.
    OKC is a lot more neutral than ABQ.

Though with the giants leaving Fresno, I think that's where the dodgers should try to move to.

11. 08-24-2014, 08:33 PM
    Reason
    off-topic

vCash
    Chris Jackson is a good writer.

vCash
    I'd hate to lose blazer..

vCash
    It's Official:

Los Angeles Dodgers @Dodgers
    Dodger owners have purchased stake in the @okcredhawks and will move the Dodgers’ Triple-A affiliation to OKC in 2015.