Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Rusney Castillo to sign with Red Sox for 6 years/72 mil

Ken Rosenthal ✔ @Ken_Rosenthal
    Source: Castillo will sign with #RedSox. Report by @JesseSanchezMLB says 6 yrs/$72M.

@JesseSanchezMLB
    Source: Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo on track for record-setting 6-year, $72 million deal with #RedSox. Check http://MLB.com

Pretty pumped right now!

vCash
    Now that BC has loaded up on outfield depth, I can easily see a deal that would acquire a SP in the off-season. Hamels? Not signing Lester would make sense in the end if he could pull that off. Use Lester to acquire ML ready talent, sign Castillo and trade depth for a high quality SP. I think BC knows what he's doing.

vCash
    $72 million? That is ridiculous - especially given Castillo's scouting report and his track record in Cuba.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    $72 million? That is ridiculous - especially given Castillo's scouting report and his track record in Cuba.
    is it your money? the way I look at it we got a potential star.. Look at the names not necessarily the # it took to get him.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MiamiBoy77 View Post
    is it your money? the way I look at it we got a potential star.. Look at the names not necessarily the # it took to get him.
    It's not my money, but every dollar the Red Sox just spent on Castillo is a dollar that cannot be spent elsewhere.

vCash
    that's a lot. can he immediately jump to MLB?

vCash
    They still have like 60-70 million to spend this offseason.

Celts, Sox, Pats, Bruins

#PrayforStanton
    #Wiggins/Parker/Smart

vCash

Rusney Castillo to sign with Red Sox for 6 years/72 mil

Man more than Abreu got. I figured the Red Sox wouldn't let him get away.

vCash
    Jeez, I would rather have taken that money and given it to Lester. I don't know if he's worth this because I never really heard his name before a month ago, which is something I don't like. You can say the same about Puig, but he was 20 and signed for a lot less. Hes the same age as Abreu, everyone knew Abreu was a huge talent for years. The Cuban huge success stories are Chapman (hyped), Puig (unknown but very young), and Abreu (Cubas biggest star). Cespedes has been mediocre at the plate the last two seasons after his rookie year. This feels like they realize they missed the boat on three very good Cuban players, so now they went all in on the next guy up for grabs.

I hope this doesn't mean some stupid offseason trade for Hamels is actually a consideration.
    Last edited by -Lavigne43-; 08-22-2014 at 11:41 AM.

vCash
    Contract is actually for 7 years/$72.5M

vCash
    i think thats an awesome contract, to be honest. It's not really a risk when your getting a guy for just over 10 mil a year.

vCash
    http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/...usney-castillo

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 8s
    Sources: Deal between #RedSox, Castillo, when finished, will be 7 yrs., $72.5M, but almost completely backloaded, with little money in 14.

ESPN and rosenthal have it at 7/72.5
    Boston Sports!!

vCash
    Deal is a little long, but a little over 10 million a year especially with inflation seems pretty legit. Just hope he is worth the contract.

Edit: Interesting to see where he plays. If it is CF, wonder what will be up with JBJ/Mookie.
    Boston Sports!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    It's not my money, but every dollar the Red Sox just spent on Castillo is a dollar that cannot be spent elsewhere.
    Exactly right. The whole "it's not your money" argument rings hollow when you consider trying to build a roster within the luxury tax (which the Sox have always attempted to do, albeit okay with stepping over the line if it meant a chance to win it all). Every dollar spent is a dollar not available to be allocated elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsox07Champs View Post
    i think thats an awesome contract, to be honest. It's not really a risk when your getting a guy for just over 10 mil a year.
    Would you hand JBJ a $72.5M/7yr deal? If not then you acknowledge there is a risk with such a move.

While the success rates of Cuban defectors has been very good the last few years we've also seen fairly well-known Cuban talent defecting. They were more well established commodities. Castillo has gotten some press this year but not much before that. That leads into the comparison to JBJ. The Cuban leagues equivalents are generally somewhere in the minor leagues and generally below AAA. JBJ was a college baseball WS star and very successful at that level -- more so than Castillo.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast