Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

ESPN's #1 breakout candidate: TE Dwayne Allen

If you've been reading my writing for any length of time, you probably know how huge I think it is that tight end Dwayne Allen is coming back. I've said for months that his return will be the biggest addition for the Colts this year.

The tight end missed pretty much all of his sophomore season with an injury, with his only game played coming in week one last year against the Raiders, where he caught one pass for 20 yards and a touchdown. But his impact goes way beyond just that, and all Colts fans know how good Allen can be and how huge of a role in the offense he will have.

National media are taking notice. In an article this morning about the top 50 breakout candidates for 2014 (insider piece), ESPN's Mike Sando ranked Allen number one, writing:

1. Dwayne Allen, TE, Indianapolis Colts. Allen has already shown ability as a blocker and runner; a season-ending hip injury was what held him back in 2013, and there are apparently no limitations now. Pairing a player as talented as Allen with a quarterback as talented as Andrew Luck makes Allen a safe breakout bet.

Allen caught 45 passes for 521 yards and 3 touchdowns in his rookie season in 2012, playing in all 16 games. He's a great receiving threat for Andrew Luck, but more than that he's a terrific blocker. He's an all-around good tight end, being able to catch passes, block as a tight end, and play fullback. Those Colts fans who complained about Pep Hamilton last year (and he did struggle some) need to remember that he lost a core piece of his offense after week one of his first season of being an NFL coordinator. The offense is going to look different with Allen, and the offense is going to be much, much better with Allen.
    http://www.stampedeblue.com/2014/8/2...didate-by-espn

Dwayne Allen AKA the best offensive Non QB player on the roster.
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

#3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    It's confusing...I see Stampede blue and just want to completely ignore the article....then I remember wells is gone and realize it actually has merit.

I think Allen is the prime example of why the new way of thinking isn't always right by over analyzing and completely disregarding 2-4 years of play in favor of one or two afternoons in what is usually perfect conditions. He was the top TE in the NCAA and won the award for that...was the top one going into the combine, then he ran a 4.89 40 yard dash and suddenly went from a borderline 1st rounder all the way until we took him in the 3rd. Fleener was graded a round higher because his pro day was flawless. Now we ended up netting both and I think we were all happy about it after some grumbling (myself included, liked the player but didn't understand the back to back picks with so many holes) about not addressing other areas. Now don't get me wrong at the time many were in love with Fleener and had 0 clue who Allen was because we were already watching the Stanford pro day for someone else...and I'm not trying to say that either is better or was at the time (Fleener made obvious sense because of Luck's comfort with him)...but for Allen to be overlooked by every team twice, basically because his speed was pretty bad on one day still makes me laugh.

vCash
    Good. Luck is going to need the safety net with this ****** OL.

vCash
    The Oline if healthy will be improved. How much is up in the air but addition by subtraction is my biggest reasoning and the return of Allens blocking is HUGE. He will make the blocks that the OL might miss. Im very excited for what we might have here in this offense.

Lucks on our side

vCash
    With allen and Nicks in there along with Wayne coming back to TY and Fleener I think Luck is going to see a lot less blitzing and more vanilla max coverage. We now have 5 guys in Wayne, Nicks, TY, Allen, and Fleener that can all pose a threat before we even look at the backfield. Someone is going to be open if they send an extra man. Last year they only needed a safety to watch TY and they didn't even have to cover DHB...so there were plenty of guys to blitz and cause that OL all kinds of problems....and they knew it was going to be run in the 1st half and pass in the second every game...so the play calling was pretty easy to figure out.

Just having all the weapons healthy will ease some pressure off Luck and make teams think twice before putting anyone on an island in coverage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by matthollabak View Post
    It's confusing...I see Stampede blue and just want to completely ignore the article....then I remember wells is gone and realize it actually has merit.

I think Allen is the prime example of why the new way of thinking isn't always right by over analyzing and completely disregarding 2-4 years of play in favor of one or two afternoons in what is usually perfect conditions. He was the top TE in the NCAA and won the award for that...was the top one going into the combine, then he ran a 4.89 40 yard dash and suddenly went from a borderline 1st rounder all the way until we took him in the 3rd. Fleener was graded a round higher because his pro day was flawless. Now we ended up netting both and I think we were all happy about it after some grumbling (myself included, liked the player but didn't understand the back to back picks with so many holes) about not addressing other areas. Now don't get me wrong at the time many were in love with Fleener and had 0 clue who Allen was because we were already watching the Stanford pro day for someone else...and I'm not trying to say that either is better or was at the time (Fleener made obvious sense because of Luck's comfort with him)...but for Allen to be overlooked by every team twice, basically because his speed was pretty bad on one day still makes me laugh.
    I forgot who it was, but we also drafted someone that fell down on their 40 yard dash... just looked it up and it was Ballard.
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

#3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants1213 View Post
    I forgot who it was, but we also drafted someone that fell down on their 40 yard dash... just looked it up and it was Ballard.
    Exactly...He has been bitten by the injury bug in a bad way, but I wouldn't say we shouldn't have picked him because before those injuries he showed a lot of promise, and looked to be a bargain when he was taken. I think all the "experts" and any teams that start shooting people up the charts are doing it backwards simple Luck vs RGIII or even Leaf vs Manning...though then their combine wasn't as highly publicized. If you have a guy that was consistent for 3-4 years and put up fantastic numbers the entire time vs a guy that had one great year...or no great years but runs a 4.3 40 or can throw the ball 80 yards from their knees...I think the pick should be obvious. Now if you have 2 guys you are torn between and in your mind they are equal...you might want to take the RB that ran the 4.4 over the one that rand the 4.6, or the DT that benched 25 reps instead of 15, but to take a guy with 3rd or 4th round talent and knowledge with 1st round physical skills and thinking he is a 1st round player is a big gamble where you are hoping he can turn his play around and match his physical skills....You may get a player or two who can do that and turn into what you hoped they would be...but more often you get someone that never lives up to their billing like a DHB.