Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

NY Rangers Nab Hayes

John Buccigross, for some reason via TSN’s Ray Ferraro’s twitter feed, has also reported this. As is College Hockey News’ Mike McMahon. The Rangers were previously believed to be a finalist for Hayes along with the Colorado Avalanche.

It’s hard to put into words how massive of a haul this is for the Rangers. Hayes, 22, is not a blue-chip prospect, but he is one with top-six potential and is already very close to said potential. In essence, the Rangers just scooped up a first-round caliber player at no cost (except an entry-level contract). With all the prospects and draft picks the Rangers have been moving recently, this is a big pickup to boost the prospect pool.

More immediately, Hayes is now the clear favorite to replace the hole left by Benoit Pouliot. The Rangers failed to sign anyone who could legitimately step up into that role during free agency, and so they were prepared to go into training camp and let Danny Kristo, Jesper Fast, and Oscar Lindberg fight for that roster spot. Hayes could very well be more polished than Kristo, and is a more natural scorer than Fast or Lindberg. He won’t be guaranteed anything, but he it should be his to lose. I can’t imagine the Rangers would have been able to sign him without promising him anything less.

I talked a bit about Hayes in my previously linked article, and here is a quality scouting report from Puck Daddy’s Ryan Lambert.

Though I would have wanted to watch a bit more of him before making any official decisions, Kevin Hayes would have easily cracked the top-five in my prospect rankings and likely would have been third, behind only Brady Skjei and J.T. Miller.

vCash
    New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather announced today that the team has agreed to terms with free agent forward Kevin Hayes.

Hayes, 22, skated in 40 games with the Boston College Eagles of Hockey East (NCAA) this past season, registering 27 goals and 38 assists for 65 points, along with 16 penalty minutes and a plus-34 rating. Hayes was a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award as the top player in collegiate hockey, and he was named to the NCAA East First All-American Team and Hockey East’s First All-Star Team. He established collegiate career-highs in goals, assists, points, plus/minus rating, power play goals (six), and game-winning goals (six). Hayes ranked second in the nation in points, third in plus/minus rating, fourth in assists, and fifth in goals. He finished second on Boston College in goals, points, game-winning goals, and shots on goal (140), tied for second in power play goals, and ranked third in assists and plus/minus rating.

The 6-5, 225-pounder tallied a career-high, 12-game point streak from November 29 vs. Holy Cross to January 25 at Penn State (13 goals, 14 assists over the span). He registered his first career hat trick and recorded a single-game career-high with five points on January 18 vs. Maine. Hayes finished the season with five consecutive multi-point games, including a four-point effort (two goals, two assists) in the Northeast Regional Semifinal vs. Denver on March 29.

Hayes skated in 142 career collegiate games over four seasons with Boston College, registering 44 goals and 88 assists for 132 points. He ranks 28th on Boston College’s all-time assists list and 42nd on the school’s all-time points list. During Hayes’ four-year tenure with the Eagles, the team won the Hockey East Championship twice, and won the National Championship in 2011-12.

The Dorchester, Massachusetts native has also represented Team USA on several occasions. Most recently, Hayes tallied two points (one goal, one assist) in eight games at the 2014 IIHF World Championship in Minsk, Belarus.

Hayes was originally selected by Chicago in the first round, 24th overall, of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft.

vCash
    On the fence about Hayes. Obivously wasn't going to crack Chicago's line up, but didn't go to hometown Boston's either because Boston couldnt offer him guaranteed playing time. Especially over Chris Kelly, who might be one of the worst 3rd line players in the league right now.
    Boston Sports!!

vCash
    NY might be a good fit here with holes open. Great signing

vCash
    In my eyes its basically like getting a free 1st round pick.

vCash
    A little shocked that he ended up in NY, because I've been following some reports and it didn't look like that was going to be the choice. Excited to see what this kid can offer, he adds some much needed size up front at a minimum.

Great signing!!

vCash
    Rangers needed this, that farm of theirs is pretty awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trueblue2 View Post
    And there's no shame in banging fat chicks. They're normally down to do anything and theyll build your confidence. Even Mike trout had to tear up the minors before he got called up to the show.

EDIT: do not use tinder to tear up minors, you will go to jail.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedWings13 View Post
    Hey don't make fun of their farm

vCash
    Funny, I thought they were doing pretty well with their player development while I've ridiculed them for years.

"We have been watching and waiting, but I wouldn't say we intend to continue to do that. I think you watch and wait to try and assess a situation and act accordingly. It might involve more waiting. It might involve moving in one direction or another. We've done plenty of watching and waiting. If we can move in a particular direction, we might do that."

Sandy Alderson: 2011.

vCash
    Our farm isn't awful, it is probably bottom 1/3 of the league, but it isn't some dearth of talent. However, trading away 13', 14', and 15' 1st rounders, pickups like this, Zucc, etc. help recuperate that.
    There are no men like me, only me.

vCash
    Good snag by the Rags.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangers&MetsFTW View Post
    Our farm isn't awful, it is probably bottom 1/3 of the league, but it isn't some dearth of talent. However, trading away 13', 14', and 15' 1st rounders, pickups like this, Zucc, etc. help recuperate that.
    I'd say it's bottom 1/5th of the league or so, which is pretty awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trueblue2 View Post
    And there's no shame in banging fat chicks. They're normally down to do anything and theyll build your confidence. Even Mike trout had to tear up the minors before he got called up to the show.

EDIT: do not use tinder to tear up minors, you will go to jail.

vCash
    I think he will transition to a solid 2 line W.

vCash
    I'd say it's bottom 1/5th of the league or so, which is pretty awful.
    Recent grads are extremely young and the talent in the minors is closer to contributing at the NHL than farther away. It's actually the best shape i've seen the Rangers in for a long while. Comically, a decade ago the system was ranked very high yet i felt the system was lifeless. Go figure

If we look at the bizarre hockey future rankings for teams, we see the Wings at #3 while the Rangers are at #23.

Meanwhile, the players within the system rank out as follows. (10= generation talent, 9 star player, etc)

10 none
    9 none
    8.0 Rangers 1 Wings 2
    7.5 Rangers 2. Wings 2
    7.0 Rangers 10 Wings 7
    6.5 Rangers 16 Wings 8
    Last edited by NYSPORTS98; 08-21-2014 at 09:20 AM.

"We have been watching and waiting, but I wouldn't say we intend to continue to do that. I think you watch and wait to try and assess a situation and act accordingly. It might involve more waiting. It might involve moving in one direction or another. We've done plenty of watching and waiting. If we can move in a particular direction, we might do that."

Sandy Alderson: 2011.

vCash
    Our farm system is ranked low because we have had so many good prospects make the NHL or be included in trades that brought us bad good players in the last few years. In recent years we have had guys like Staal, Kreider, Zuccarello, Stepan, Hagelin, Talbot make the big club. We traded Duby, Aminsov, Cally, DelZotto, and Erixon that spent time in our system. Losing Cherpy (tragic death) was tough as was losing Sauer (concusion). Overall I think our system has done pretty well and we will replenish it. Guys like JT Miller, Osacar, Fast, and Kristo all have a chance to be NHL players. As do Duclair. the Russian kid, Brade Skye, and Mcilrath.

Our team is one of only two to make the playoffs in the East 8 of the last 9 years. That leads to lower drafting spots.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast