Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 44
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    Posts
    8,162
    vCash
    1500

    Where would you rank KD among small forwards all time right now?

    I know people hate ranking players when their careers are still underway and there is no way to tell what the longevity of the player will be, but that said, where would you rank KD right now?


    I realize that a career could take a serious nose dive without warning. I imagine that even as critical as I was on McGrady for his style of play, I likely would have ranked him top ten at his position during his prime, but seeing his short peek and rapid decline, I wouldn't have him in my top ten now.

    Likewise, I loved Hill and would have likely put him in my top ten in the offseason between Detroit and Orlando, but the injuries really stopped him from showing his talents.

    So ranking KD now is obviously problematic, but for the sake or argument.


    LBJ and Bird are at the top. The you got guys like Dr. J, Pippen, Baylor, Havlicek and Barry, Worthy, King and Mullen. And Nique, Paul Pierce, and Melo. Which guys would you say Durant is better than?

    As blasphemous as this might sound, I'm tempted to rank him as high as third, though for now I wouldn't argue with anybody who has Bird, LBJ and Dr. J in their top three. Is Durant as good as 4th?
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,502
    vCash
    500
    Way to early to rank him that high. I think he will be if he gets a ring and continues to win mvps and put up absurd numbers as of now i got James, Bird, Julius, pippen, hondo, barry, baylor pretty easily.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    10,513
    vCash
    2166
    top 10 for sure i think atm.

    i htink he def creeped into the top 10 by last season.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    24,282
    vCash
    2502
    1. Lebron James
    2. Larry Bird
    3. Julius Erving
    4. John Havlicek
    5. Scottie Pippen
    6. Rick Barry
    7. Elgin Baylor
    8. Paul Pierce
    9. James Worthy
    10. Kevin Durant

    That's off the top of my head, and you could actually make a decent argument for Durant ahead of Baylor, Pierce and Worthy. Hell, you could probably make a halfway decent argument for him as high as fourth or fifth.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Posts
    25,876
    vCash
    1461
    Top 10

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    36,579
    vCash
    1090
    Top 10 and will be 2nd best SF all time + top 10 player all time when retires.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    21,309
    vCash
    1000
    I hate when threads like this pop-up. We're literally right in the middle of ranking players like Pippen/Havlicek/Baylor in an all-time thread right at the top of the NBA Forum. Why don't we just see when he starts getting the votes?

    My other problem is that, in my opinion, Durant will define his legacy more in the next 5 years than he has in the last 5. It'd be like trying to rank MJ all-time after 89. Just because he's accomplished enough to get recognized doesn't mean there aren't much greater things left to come.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,917
    vCash
    833
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    Top 10 and will be 2nd best SF all time + top 10 player all time when retires.
    Pretty much. I actually have him in my top 5 already. It's crazy because if not for LBJ, KD would have 4 MVP's at the age of 25. If he manages to keep up with what he has been doing for the next 5 years, rings or no rings, he's the 3rd best SF and arguably 2nd.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    tdot
    Posts
    18,293
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    1. Lebron James
    2. Larry Bird
    3. Julius Erving
    4. John Havlicek
    5. Scottie Pippen
    6. Rick Barry
    7. Elgin Baylor
    8. Paul Pierce
    9. James Worthy
    10. Kevin Durant

    That's off the top of my head, and you could actually make a decent argument for Durant ahead of Baylor, Pierce and Worthy. Hell, you could probably make a halfway decent argument for him as high as fourth or fifth.
    he is already better than all those guys accept for lebron and MAYBE bird.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    1 Mile High
    Posts
    5,663
    vCash
    1500
    ^^^ I agree, while we can't compare career vs career when a player is still young we can compare them at their primes. KD is putting up crazy numbers with crazy efficiency in an era where defenses are extremely complex and where he faces stiff competition every night. IMO he is 3rd, behind Bird and James and I suppose Pippen has a case because of his 2 way prowess so maybe 4th. Durant is greatness, LBJ is greatness, Melo and George are franchise calibre SF's... we got some young bloods up and coming too.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,987
    vCash
    500
    my top 15 (could be mistaken a little cuz its off the top of my head)

    Lebron James
    Larry Bird
    Julius Erving
    Scottie Pippen
    tracy mcgrady
    kevin durant
    Elgin Baylor
    Dominique wilkins
    melo
    pierce
    carter
    Havlicek
    rick barry
    james worthy
    grant hill

    at the end i see durant ending up at either 2 or 3.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    21,309
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    he is already better than all those guys accept for lebron and MAYBE bird.
    What value do you put on careers?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    24,282
    vCash
    2502
    Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    he is already better than all those guys accept for lebron and MAYBE bird.
    Better in terms of peak production? No doubt. But if he retired tomorrow, you wouldn't rank his career ahead of those guys.


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    8,357
    vCash
    1500
    These questions always irk me because half think you mean career and half think you mean talent.

    You're telling me for one season to take the best player for your team you'd take James Worthy over Kevin Durant? If it was both players at their absolute best that we've seen so far you would 't take KD?
    2014 Bulls Forum NBA Redraft Champions!

    PG: Jose Calderon / Aaron Brooks
    SG: Wesley Mathews / Tony Wroten
    SF: Chandler Parsons / Andrei Kirilenko
    PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Kyle O'Quinn
    C: Roy Hibbert / Kelly Olynyk

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,917
    vCash
    833
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    These questions always irk me because half think you mean career and half think you mean talent.

    You're telling me for one season to take the best player for your team you'd take James Worthy over Kevin Durant? If it was both players at their absolute best that we've seen so far you would 't take KD?
    Yeah. I think posters from now on should specify and include "With accolades/accomplishments in mind" or "Just on pure talent." It's a safe bet to assume he meant for career considering he did mention it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •