Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Wang Sells Isles to Ex-Caps Owner Ledecky

BREAKING: Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky

Mike Halford Aug 19, 2014, 1:35 PM EDT

Pending NHL Board of Governors approval.
    Huge news from Long Island on Tuesday — per Newsday, Islanders owner Charles Wang has agreed to sell the team to a familiar face in NHL circles:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...owner-ledecky/

Gotta believe its an improvement...

vCash

This is awesome. I was actually hired by the team yesterday morning. The interview was about 5 weeks ago (was told 1-2 week hear back time) and I assumed I didn't get it. I guess they were waiting for the team to be sold?

If You Ain't Huckin, You Ain't ****in

vCash
    It doesn't matter, Wang is still majority owner for 2 more years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsrock229 View Post
    This is awesome. I was actually hired by the team yesterday morning. The interview was about 5 weeks ago (was told 1-2 week hear back time) and I assumed I didn't get it. I guess they were waiting for the team to be sold?
    nice, congrats! What do you do for them?

vCash

For now just the events off/on site, and all home games

If You Ain't Huckin, You Ain't ****in

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsnQueens7 View Post
    It doesn't matter, Wang is still majority owner for 2 more years.
    Actually King - I see this as a good thing. For one - usually with new ownership / management coming in - they tend to scrap everything and radically change things. For instance - new ownership could come in and trade a bunch of long term assets - just to bring in some short term "pop".

I'd much rather the Islanders stay on course with building from within... After years of bad hockey - the goal of building a franchise that can be successful over the long haul is finally coming to fruition. I'd prefer to see the young nucleolus that has been built over the last 5-6 years bloom - instead of having it pieced up to bring in one or two high paid stars for a few years. This is in essence what happened whenever new management (at any level) has come in to run the Islanders...

Also - since Wang will be phased out over the next two years - there wont be this sense of uncertainty that usually happens within a franchise when it is sold - which can affect the team as a whole. There will be a smooth transition to Brooklyn, there wont be panic among the staff about who may get fired and who may get promoted and the team as a whole wont be subjected to radical differences of opinion on style of play, etc...

Basically - this move makes the entire transition between old ownership and new, rather seamless (in theory anyway)... and should keep any upheaval / chaos to a minimum.