Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Gerald McCoy Broke PFF's Grading System

Pro Football Focus @PFF
    Follow
    Gerald McCoy played the best 19 snaps you'll likely see from an interior D-Lineman. Sack, hit, hurry, batted pass, and an absurd +8.2 grade

Gerald McCoy is ridiculous.

The Buccaneers' franchise player posted an 8.2 grade on 19 snaps.

Eight point two. On nineteen snaps.

To put that into perspective, over the course of the entire 2013 preseason, only one defensive tackle (Geno Atkins) posted a grade higher than 8.2, and it took him over 70 snaps to do so. PFF grades are cumulative, which means McCoy racked up positive marks at a ridiculous pace on Saturday night.

For more perspective: McCoy's 19 snaps finished with a better grade than Haloti Ngata, Paul Soliai, and Linval Joseph earned over the entire season last year. He put in a season's worth of positive work in a quarter of a preseason game.

McCoy is a dominant player, and a true game-changer on defense. Teams have to scheme to stop him, or he'll simply stop every run and pass play before it starts.

Apart from McCoy, fellow linemen Euclid Cummings and Scott Solomon earned solid grades for their jobs done along the defensive line. Solomon got some time with the first team defense, showing that he may be an under-the-radar player worth watching as the preseason continues.

Fellow camp standouts Matthew Masafilo and Danny Lansanah both earned good grades for their work against the run, while Akeem Spence posted a strong pass-rush grade.

Starting defensive ends Michael Johnson and Adrian Clayborn were among the lowest-graded Bucs, but they only earned grades barely below zero. Still, on 30 combined pass rush snaps, the duo compiled zero pressures on the quarterback, which is a big concern for the Buccaneers. Gerald McCoy is great, but the ends must get pressure to make this defense work.

Six of the nine players charged with a missed tackle on the Buccaneer defense were cornerbacks. This can't make Lovie Smith happy.
    http://www.bucsnation.com/2014/8/17/...grading-system

>Watch Me On Twitch Here<
    Click Here to Become a PSD Member!
    ★I am a Member of the BUC NATION

vCash
    He is so ****ing good. Like legit monster on his own. Might have to be the new jersey i get.

vCash
    I hope he can build on his success in the season. If he can this defense can dominate again. Our biggest area of weakness looks like our secondary.

vCash
    Legit defensive player of the year candidate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5surretts View Post
    I hope he can build on his success in the season. If he can this defense can dominate again. Our biggest area of weakness looks like our secondary.
    I don't know if its going to be a weakness lets wait and see how it looks with Verner and Jenkins healthy

vCash
    I really hope they sit McCoy after one series this Saturday. I would think the coaches have seen enough to say hes ready for week one. After seeing what happened to Darnell Dockett I'm just really wary of injuries to key players.

vCash
    For those of you who ever doubted McCoy or said he was a bust....shame on you. the quickest and most disruptive interior lineman in all of football, McCoy is learning and getting better from Warren Sapp and its showing. Thank God McCoy plays for us. We need to lock him up ASAP!
    Im officially on the the Mike Glennon Bandwagon. This is our guy.

vCash
    I literally couldnt stop smiling the entire time I was reading that! He is BEAST!
    I am a member of the BUC NATION

vCash
    Ha same here^ I was gitty. Then I got nervous. Please sit him after one series Lovie... PLEASE!!!