Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

What is your opinion on Theo's Cubs Rebuild? (Non Cubs fans)

I want to hear an unbiased view.

What do you think about the Cubs rebuild with Theo in charge. When, if at all, do you think the Cubs will be division contenders? Championship contenders?

Lot of field players being drafted, minimal pitching

What's your thoughts?

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/ch...-jake-arrieta/
    Last edited by D_Rose1118; 09-02-2014 at 11:05 PM.

vCash
    I like it. It's the right strategy considering the direction of pitching in baseball right now.

vCash
    As a fan of a team with tons of young pitching, I'd trade our young pitching for the position player prospects the Cubs have in a nanosecond...but I do think he's going a little too far on the position player side of things. The mid 2000's Rangers scored a trillion runs per game and had absolutely zero pitchers, and sucked. It's going to come down to whether or not Theo can find 4 more starters and keep up a solid bullpen.

vCash
    As I cubs fan, my favorite thing about him is that he ripped off some teams with players who declined quickly, I doubt A's or Texans will trade with Theo again soon, or even the Orioles with Jake stepping his game up.

vCash
    Position player prospects also have a proclivity to bust at a lower rate. Where as pitching can sometimes develop out of nowhere.

But the Cubs will need to get pitching at some point, but there is no rush.

Take the best bats that you can, develop a 1-8 lineup of strong assets, and potentially trade some of those guys from some young pitchers, or sign some young pitchers.

The real questions for me are two things.

1. Will they lock these kids up to team friendly deals like Rizzo and to a lesser extent Castro
    2. What will their bust rates be

vCash
    Cubs killed the A's with that Hammels/Shark trade. Hammels blows. I truly think the Cubs can be a dynasty in the making if they can snag some pitchers.
    King Remembered In Time
    New Jersey Devils/Brooklyn Nets/New York Yankees/New York Jets

12/7/12 R.I.P Off-topic-forum amigo.

Want to be President of PSD? Post here to enroll. No skills needed!
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...ction-Nominees

vCash
    Hammel sure as **** wasn't the centerpiece of that trade. A's didn't get killed in that trade at all. They wanted SP's before the market got crazy and they accomplished that.

Only time will tell how well the trade works out for both sides.
    THREEINFIVE!

vCash
    My favorite are the Dempster and Garza deals with the Rangers I think Kyle Hendricks has had as many quality starts as Dempster and Garza together. Neil Ramirez looks like a future closer, Grim can pitch out of the bullpen or be a 5 starter on a average to below average team. Mike Olt probably a bench player with power. Then theirs CJ who has potential to be mid to tor starter but theirs a lot of questions about his size plus another 3b in aa who would be a top 15 to 20 prospect in most systems. That was all for a couple of starts of Garza and Dempster.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Hammel sure as **** wasn't the centerpiece of that trade. A's didn't get killed in that trade at all. They wanted SP's before the market got crazy and they accomplished that.

Only time will tell how well the trade works out for both sides.
    I don't think the As would give up Russell straight for Samardzja and McKinney for straight up for Hammel would of been a great deal for us alone. We basically got Russell and Straily for Shark and McKinney and ptbnl for Hammel. I doubt he ptbnl is any good probably just cash with Hammel getting removed out of their rotation.

vCash

What is your opinion on the Theo's Cubs Rebuild? (Non Cubs fans)

To me, they have to spend a little money to show they're serious. Every team can rebuild but if you're not willing to shell out a few big contracts, you're not as scary.

If they can sign Scherzer/Shields/Lester + Masterson/Ervin Santana/McCarthy/Vogelsong even and trade Castro/Russell/Baez for a prospect such as Syndegard (since the rumors are so prevalent.) or another couple of pitching prospects. Or even trade for Cole Hamels.

The pieces are there but IMO their offense has too much bust potential for me to put stock in them. (Baez, inconsistent hitting of Castro, I even hear Alcantara has high bust potential as well.) For all we know, Bryant can be the next Brandon Wood (if that is his name)

I don't know but maybe it's just because I don't value prospects as much as the next guy. I think there's plenty of potential for their prospects to take them far on their own but the team needs veteran, proven, major league talent more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Position player prospects also have a proclivity to bust at a lower rate. Where as pitching can sometimes develop out of nowhere.

But the Cubs will need to get pitching at some point, but there is no rush.

Take the best bats that you can, develop a 1-8 lineup of strong assets, and potentially trade some of those guys from some young pitchers, or sign some young pitchers.

The real questions for me are two things.

1. Will they lock these kids up to team friendly deals like Rizzo and to a lesser extent Castro
    2. What will their bust rates be
    I like how they picked up a handful of younger pitchers that other teams have maybe given up on too quickly. If they can get just one of Jacob Turner, Felix Doubront, or Dan Straily back on track ala Jake Arrieta, it'd be a big win. Justin Grimm could get another look as a starter, too. Obviously Jacob Turner is the one with the biggest impact potential. We'll have to wait and see how it turns out, but it's an interesting strategy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynoplasty View Post
    I like how they picked up a handful of younger pitchers that other teams have maybe given up on too quickly. If they can get just one of Jacob Turner, Felix Doubront, or Dan Straily back on track ala Jake Arrieta, it'd be a big win. Justin Grimm could get another look as a starter, too. Obviously Jacob Turner is the one with the biggest impact potential. We'll have to wait and see how it turns out, but it's an interesting strategy.
    Turner had a good debut for the cubs, I think their is still a good chance he becomes a number 3 starter. The marlins could of gotten a better return on him if they would of traded him during the offseason.

vCash
    They have rebuilt the team perfectly.

vCash
    Very very good. Boom.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    To me, they have to spend a little money to show they're serious. Every team can rebuild but if you're not willing to shell out a few big contracts, you're not as scary.

Ala the Houston Astros. Plenty of young talent in Houston, but no veterans leadership.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast