Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

vCash
    God I hope so!

He probably doesnt want to get involved in the shitstorm that is likely to happen this off-season if the Jays flounder here, I wouldn't be surprised if he walks and doesnt have to address the media or fans here... a gutless coward!!
    Last edited by Sanyo; 08-18-2014 at 12:08 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanyo View Post
    God I hope so!

He probably doesnt want to get involved in the shitstorm that is likely to happen this off-season if the Jays flounder here, I wouldn't be surprised if he walks and doesnt have to address the media or fans here... a gutless coward!!
    What exactly makes him a gutless coward if the team doesn't offer him an extension?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
    What exactly makes him a gutless coward if the team doesn't offer him an extension?
    Well unless the new Rogers CEO hates his guts (and I dont see why he would) or wants to put in his own guy, I don't see why Beeston won't be offered one. The question is does he want to stay. My thinking is even if he is offered one, he'll walk. He's pretty much failed as the President... his constant promises and plans have backfired and he probably doesn't care to stay now.

But hey let's see how things unfold with him...

vCash
    I think Beeston , almost 70, has earned the right to do whatever he wants to do! If he wants to drink cocktails on the beach and tell dirty Jays stories or move to another team or position it's up to him.
    Maybe he just doesn't want to come back regardless if they try to extend him or not!

jmho

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanyo View Post
    Well unless the new Rogers CEO hates his guts (and I dont see why he would) or wants to put in his own guy, I don't see why Beeston won't be offered one. The question is does he want to stay. My thinking is even if he is offered one, he'll walk. He's pretty much failed as the President... his constant promises and plans have backfired and he probably doesn't care to stay now.

But hey let's see how things unfold with him...
    I agree the promises of playoffs and contention for three straight years is a bit disappointing that it hasn't really happened, although this year could still work out.

But I'm reluctant to call Beeston a failure. This is one of the most respected men in baseball, and in many respects probably should have Commissioner at one time. He is a big reason the Jays brand is what it is in Canada.

And while he's been back, the Jays payroll is higher than it's ever been, and the attendance for this season and last will be the highest back to back years since the late '90s. Not to mention that the Jays are as strong as ever on television.

The on the field product hasn't been what he hoped, but I wouldn't put that all on Beeston. He's delivered a better all-around product, and in turn convinced ownership to put revenues back into the team.

I think as Jays fans, we have been very VERY lucky to have Beeston associated with this organization, not once but twice.

vCash
    ^^All true. Kinda sad that him having to lie for Rogers has tarnished his reputation to so many fans.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009mvp View Post
    ^^All true. Kinda sad that him having to lie for Rogers has tarnished his reputation to so many fans.
    You're making it seem like Rogers held a gun to his head. We don't know what happened behind closed doors. I hate rogers as much as the next guy but hasn't payroll gone up from about $60 mill in 2011 to close to $140 mill. I don't think any team in the majors has had that kind of a raise in the past 3 years. It comes down to running a team in a smart manner. Teams win with what they are given. 135 million is a lot given to beeston and AA. They just squandered their opportunity.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nithanyo View Post
    You're making it seem like Rogers held a gun to his head. We don't know what happened behind closed doors. I hate rogers as much as the next guy but hasn't payroll gone up from about $60 mill in 2011 to close to $140 mill. I don't think any team in the majors has had that kind of a raise in the past 3 years. It comes down to running a team in a smart manner. Teams win with what they are given. 135 million is a lot given to beeston and AA. They just squandered their opportunity.
    It's not the $135M that people have a problem with...

Do you often see a team with a $130-140M payroll being told that the tap has been turned off and aren't able to augment due to injury, etc? It may happen, but I sure can't think of the other bigger spending teams being told that they can't add any more payroll. They all seem to be able to add a contract or two when needed.

If you're going to be viewed as a serious player, then you need to add the players when they're needed...and we're only talking a couple of months worth of salary. After the season Rogers goes back to AA and says, ok...now let's get back down to $130M (or whatever number they decide on). There needs to be some elasticity with these things. Player performance and health can't be pre-determined and if you need to make changes throughout the season to compensate for some of that, within reason, then the GM should be able to do that...and I think we as fans are entitled to expect it...as I said...within reason. I'm not talking about revamping the entire team and bringing in $200M worth of contracts like the Dodgers did a few years back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nithanyo View Post
    Are people under the impression that Beeston was out there scouting players or something?

vCash
    Good,take AA and Gibby with u.

“The pleasure of rooting for Goliath is that you can expect to win. The pleasure of rooting for David is that, while you don’t know what to expect, you stand at least a chance of being inspired.”

vCash
    Wonder if Beeston has an interest I taking over Maple Leas Sports and Entertainment? Even temporarily until they do a more exhausted search for a new president

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBall20 View Post
    Good,take AA and Gibby with u.
    And Rogers.

vCash
    And Rogers.
    And the artificial turf.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders:28965672
    And Rogers.
    And the artificial turf.
    I thought grass was in SkyDome's future anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast