Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

R&G's Traditional Future Talk Thread

It's alittle later than normal, but here is my usual looking forward thread. Any prospects you guys like, any positions you see as draft needs, any cuts/retirement/trade moves, it can all fall here.

Personally, I can see WR and CB as the obvious needs for the future right now, we have a ton of guys at those positions on the last or 2nd to last years of their deals. I think with the still uncertainty of Kap and the just awful play of our backups, I see a QB on the docket for this draft. Other than that, I think the OL and DL have a dearth of up and coming talent, the LB core is set when healthy/unsuspended. Think it will be a sobering offseason as I see Gore and Justin hanging them up, but could be wrong.

vCash
    If things don't work out with Crabtree resigning, DaVante Parker from Louisville and Jaelen Strong from AZ State are probably my top two WRs that could be available this year.

vCash
    Over at Ninerwebzone I took flack for being pissed we didn't grab a receiver earlier in the draft. We could have had anyone we wanted in the early second. Mathews, Lee, Robinson, Latimer. Did you see that hit Latimer put on Bethea last week? KO'd him. The man was the best blocking WR in the draft and would have been great for our team. Allen Robinson will also do well as soon as the Jags get a viable QB, if Bortles works well then look out...they have Lee and Robinson.

There was an injured Qb we also could have picked up in the later rounds. Could have picked up Zach Mettenberger in the 5'th. The Borland pick was also a waste. He's not going to win that starting spot and wont have a place on the roster once everyone is healthy. He has great football knowledge but is small and looks lost on pass coverage. We could have used that pick to move up for a WR or CB. Should have picked up Stanley Jean-Baptiste or Joyner.

Going into 2015, although we haven't played a game yet, I'd say WR, CB and (backup) QB are our main needs (WR if we don't resign Crabtree). A true NT as well. Wouldn't hurt to get some more o-linemen. I have a feeling we'll be picking up a cornerback early. Then QB. I'm going to start paying attention to college players in a coupe moths. Last draft I was solely focused on watching tape on WR's because I was convinced we'd either go WR in the first or second rd. I sure hope Ward works out in the nickle.

vCash
    Anyone have an opinion on Dorial Green-Beckham? Dude is a monstrous physical specimen at WR (6'6 220+), but is also a colossal off field mess (kicked off of Mizzou for altercation with woman and two marijuana related incidents, but no positives tests I believe). Will not be allowed to play this year after attempting to appeal transfer intelligibility, so may practice all year with Oklahoma and enter this draft.
    Last edited by RedandGold_35; 08-23-2014 at 09:36 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hamburger:28953098
    Over at Ninerwebzone I took flack for being pissed we didn't grab a receiver earlier in the draft. We could have had anyone we wanted in the early second. Mathews, Lee, Robinson, Latimer. Did you see that hit Latimer put on Bethea last week? KO'd him. The man was the best blocking WR in the draft and would have been great for our team. Allen Robinson will also do well as soon as the Jags get a viable QB, if Bortles works well then look out...they have Lee and Robinson.

There was an injured Qb we also could have picked up in the later rounds. Could have picked up Zach Mettenberger in the 5'th. The Borland pick was also a waste. He's not going to win that starting spot and wont have a place on the roster once everyone is healthy. He has great football knowledge but is small and looks lost on pass coverage. We could have used that pick to move up for a WR or CB. Should have picked up Stanley Jean-Baptiste or Joyner.

Going into 2015, although we haven't played a game yet, I'd say WR, CB and (backup) QB are our main needs (WR if we don't resign Crabtree). A true NT as well. Wouldn't hurt to get some more o-linemen. I have a feeling we'll be picking up a cornerback early. Then QB. I'm going to start paying attention to college players in a coupe moths. Last draft I was solely focused on watching tape on WR's because I was convinced we'd either go WR in the first or second rd. I sure hope Ward works out in the nickle.
    I agree with everything except Borland and CB as a need. I actually think they are set at CB. Johnson will develop, Brock is better than solid, Culliver has shadow opponents #1 postential, Acker floored me with his play last week even in a losing effort and Reaser will be competing next year.

vCash

Louisville head coach Bobby Petrino said there’s a "good chance" senior WR DeVante Parker will play in Saturday’s game against Clemson.
    Parker has missed the first six games after breaking a bone in his left foot during a practice in late-August. The 6-foot-3, 208-pounder (55 receptions for 885 yards and a UL-record-tying 12 touchdowns last year) is one of the nation's best wideout prospects. With a 4.39 forty, a 10-foot, 10-inch broad jump, an 80-inch wingspan, and a ridiculous catch radius, Parker is considered by many to be a future first-rounder. Rotoworld's Josh Norris ranks Parker as the No. 2 draft-eligible receiver, behind Oklahoma's Dorial Green-Beckham. "Body control to make contested catches off the ground is obvious," Norris wrote. "High points extremely well. Creates that sliver of space to win against tight coverage. Aggressively works back towards his QB on comebacks."
    Ninerhomer, sounds like your type of guy yeah? Seen him play quite a bit so I'm on board.

vCash
    I agree with the Gore Justin Smith hangin it up. I also have a gut feeling that the coaching staff is gonna get blown up and this is gonna be an all in season and then back to the drawing board. I am wondering if it does happen will they go with Tomsula like a lot of people are predicting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yeolde9erfan View Post
    I agree with the Gore Justin Smith hangin it up. I also have a gut feeling that the coaching staff is gonna get blown up and this is gonna be an all in season and then back to the drawing board. I am wondering if it does happen will they go with Tomsula like a lot of people are predicting.
    I don't see the coaching staff going during the year unless the season completely bottoms out. It would be Tomsula IMO. As to Gore and Justin, both look great (and I add a "so far"), but both would have to be paid ridiculously low numbers going forward compared to their abilities if we want to keep them and guys like Aldon/Crabtree/Iupati and so on.

vCash
    My system for college is rather stupid, and I honestly don't follow college ball. I wouldn't dare say I know an elite prospect from a bad one, and really go with my gut on some.

Cooks was getting a lot of praise, but honestly he would only thrive in a Saints type system. He'd never make it on a slower playing surface in the 49ers offense.

I'm positively convinced the 49ers can't draft a WR to save their life. I am very happy to trade a 4th or 5th rounder and pick up any established WR in the league instead. That way I don't have to declare bust on a 4th-7th round WR (Ronald Johnson, Kyle Williams, etc... soon to be Patton).

Stevie Johnson, Anquan Boldin, Brandon Lloyd cost us exactly a 4th round and 6th round draft pick. That's the best draft I've ever seen!

Their D line could use work if Tank/Dial aren't good enough. Their pass blocking is so bad, that they will need another stud on the Oline, and possibly a first round pick.

You can never have enough CB's, especially since it looks like Ward might not pan out. Lynch might be Brooks heir apparent, but another OLB to replace Lemonier as a young pass rusher would help.

And lastly, they will need to draft a QB. Maybe a more vanilla type QB that's a pure pocket passer, similar to Kirk Cousins after they took RG3.

Not sure what's strong in this draft class... but that's important in getting quality players.
    Last edited by leftymo; 10-09-2014 at 01:58 PM. Reason: double neg
    2012 World Series Champs Auto Checklist: Jeremy Affeldt, Javier Lopez (2), Ryan Vogelsong, George Kontos (2), Buster Posey, Brian Sabean, Bruce Bochy, Brandon Crawford, Sergio Romo, Barry Zito...

vCash
    The fact that the upper management like Tomsula as a future head coach is all the evidence I need to know they have no clue what they are doing.

Tomsula gets along with the players great, he's always teaching, and always supportive. Everybody loves Tomsula. But here's the problem. The head coach has greater responsibilities, he's the general of the team not the cheerleader. Take a look at both Roman & Fangio... how they conduct themselves. Those are the leaders of the respective offenses & defenses.

Tomsula would be a disaster as a head coach. Maybe even like Singletary which screamed "not ready" when he took the job.

If they dump Harbaugh, Roman should go with him... Fangio would have to be a figure head like Seifert was. Otherwise you have to consider bringing in another regime. Shaw from Stanford? Shanahan? Jim Mora from UCLA?
    2012 World Series Champs Auto Checklist: Jeremy Affeldt, Javier Lopez (2), Ryan Vogelsong, George Kontos (2), Buster Posey, Brian Sabean, Bruce Bochy, Brandon Crawford, Sergio Romo, Barry Zito...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leftymo View Post
    My system for college is rather stupid, and I honestly don't follow college ball. I wouldn't dare say I know an elite prospect from a bad one, and really go with my gut on some.

Cooks was getting a lot of praise, but honestly he would only thrive in a Saints type system. He'd never make it on a slower playing surface in the 49ers offense.

I'm positively convinced the 49ers can't draft a WR to save their life. I am very happy to trade a 4th or 5th rounder and pick up any established WR in the league instead. That way I don't have to declare bust on a 4th-7th round WR (Ronald Johnson, Kyle Williams, etc... soon to be Patton).

Stevie Johnson, Anquan Boldin, Brandon Lloyd cost us exactly a 4th round and 6th round draft pick. That's the best draft I've ever seen!

Their D line could use work if Tank/Dial aren't good enough. Their pass blocking is so bad, that they will need another stud on the Oline, and possibly a first round pick.

You can never have enough CB's, especially since it looks like Ward might not pan out. Lynch might be Brooks heir apparent, but another OLB to replace Lemonier as a young pass rusher would help.

And lastly, they will need to draft a QB. Maybe a more vanilla type QB that's a pure pocket passer, similar to Kirk Cousins after they took RG3.

Not sure what's strong in this draft class... but that's important in getting quality players.
    Still alittle early to see, I'd give it a few more weeks since teams haven't really been playing the meat of their schedules, that's usually halfway to the end of the year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leftymo View Post
    The fact that the upper management like Tomsula as a future head coach is all the evidence I need to know they have no clue what they are doing.

Tomsula gets along with the players great, he's always teaching, and always supportive. Everybody loves Tomsula. But here's the problem. The head coach has greater responsibilities, he's the general of the team not the cheerleader. Take a look at both Roman & Fangio... how they conduct themselves. Those are the leaders of the respective offenses & defenses.

Tomsula would be a disaster as a head coach. Maybe even like Singletary which screamed "not ready" when he took the job.

If they dump Harbaugh, Roman should go with him... Fangio would have to be a figure head like Seifert was. Otherwise you have to consider bringing in another regime. Shaw from Stanford? Shanahan? Jim Mora from UCLA?
    Doesn't that basically describe JH?

Pretty sure Fangio said he's not interested in being a HC ever, this was some time ago.

vCash
    I mean, Tomsula may not have a huge resume, but he took a team that wouldn't play for Singletary and beat Arizona 38-7 as the interim that one game. That's not a be all/end all, but does say something.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedandGold_35:29122665
    I mean, Tomsula may not have a huge resume, but he took a team that wouldn't play for Singletary and beat Arizona 38-7 as the interim that one game. That's not a be all/end all, but does say something.
    He was a HC in NFL Europe. I don't know how good his team was but that's something.

Not saying he should replace Harbaugh...just saying I like Tomsula in general.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NinerHomer49 View Post
    He was a HC in NFL Europe. I don't know how good his team was but that's something.

Not saying he should replace Harbaugh...just saying I like Tomsula in general.
    As do I. I mean, if Roman and Fangio stay and they run the offense and defense, what really is there for a HC to do but to motivate and teach? I think he's capable of that in spades.

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast