Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

R&G's Traditional Future Talk Thread

It's alittle later than normal, but here is my usual looking forward thread. Any prospects you guys like, any positions you see as draft needs, any cuts/retirement/trade moves, it can all fall here.

Personally, I can see WR and CB as the obvious needs for the future right now, we have a ton of guys at those positions on the last or 2nd to last years of their deals. I think with the still uncertainty of Kap and the just awful play of our backups, I see a QB on the docket for this draft. Other than that, I think the OL and DL have a dearth of up and coming talent, the LB core is set when healthy/unsuspended. Think it will be a sobering offseason as I see Gore and Justin hanging them up, but could be wrong.

vCash
    If things don't work out with Crabtree resigning, DaVante Parker from Louisville and Jaelen Strong from AZ State are probably my top two WRs that could be available this year.

vCash
    Over at Ninerwebzone I took flack for being pissed we didn't grab a receiver earlier in the draft. We could have had anyone we wanted in the early second. Mathews, Lee, Robinson, Latimer. Did you see that hit Latimer put on Bethea last week? KO'd him. The man was the best blocking WR in the draft and would have been great for our team. Allen Robinson will also do well as soon as the Jags get a viable QB, if Bortles works well then look out...they have Lee and Robinson.

There was an injured Qb we also could have picked up in the later rounds. Could have picked up Zach Mettenberger in the 5'th. The Borland pick was also a waste. He's not going to win that starting spot and wont have a place on the roster once everyone is healthy. He has great football knowledge but is small and looks lost on pass coverage. We could have used that pick to move up for a WR or CB. Should have picked up Stanley Jean-Baptiste or Joyner.

Going into 2015, although we haven't played a game yet, I'd say WR, CB and (backup) QB are our main needs (WR if we don't resign Crabtree). A true NT as well. Wouldn't hurt to get some more o-linemen. I have a feeling we'll be picking up a cornerback early. Then QB. I'm going to start paying attention to college players in a coupe moths. Last draft I was solely focused on watching tape on WR's because I was convinced we'd either go WR in the first or second rd. I sure hope Ward works out in the nickle.

vCash
    Anyone have an opinion on Dorial Green-Beckham? Dude is a monstrous physical specimen at WR (6'6 220+), but is also a colossal off field mess (kicked off of Mizzou for altercation with woman and two marijuana related incidents, but no positives tests I believe). Will not be allowed to play this year after attempting to appeal transfer intelligibility, so may practice all year with Oklahoma and enter this draft.
    Last edited by RedandGold_35; 08-23-2014 at 09:36 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hamburger:28953098
    Over at Ninerwebzone I took flack for being pissed we didn't grab a receiver earlier in the draft. We could have had anyone we wanted in the early second. Mathews, Lee, Robinson, Latimer. Did you see that hit Latimer put on Bethea last week? KO'd him. The man was the best blocking WR in the draft and would have been great for our team. Allen Robinson will also do well as soon as the Jags get a viable QB, if Bortles works well then look out...they have Lee and Robinson.

There was an injured Qb we also could have picked up in the later rounds. Could have picked up Zach Mettenberger in the 5'th. The Borland pick was also a waste. He's not going to win that starting spot and wont have a place on the roster once everyone is healthy. He has great football knowledge but is small and looks lost on pass coverage. We could have used that pick to move up for a WR or CB. Should have picked up Stanley Jean-Baptiste or Joyner.

Going into 2015, although we haven't played a game yet, I'd say WR, CB and (backup) QB are our main needs (WR if we don't resign Crabtree). A true NT as well. Wouldn't hurt to get some more o-linemen. I have a feeling we'll be picking up a cornerback early. Then QB. I'm going to start paying attention to college players in a coupe moths. Last draft I was solely focused on watching tape on WR's because I was convinced we'd either go WR in the first or second rd. I sure hope Ward works out in the nickle.
    I agree with everything except Borland and CB as a need. I actually think they are set at CB. Johnson will develop, Brock is better than solid, Culliver has shadow opponents #1 postential, Acker floored me with his play last week even in a losing effort and Reaser will be competing next year.