Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

How does everyone feel about the fact every championship is based largely on luck?

Discuss.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by natsbats View Post
    Discuss.
    Nothing with luck but surviving a 162 season for a chance.

When the playoffs start it is a new season with the eligible playoffs teams that qualified record wise with the chance and with whoever has the best record means nothing.
    Last edited by South Side Sox; 08-17-2014 at 09:21 PM.

vCash
    Luck? You gotta be kidding.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by natsbats View Post
    Discuss.
    How does everyone feel about the fact that 2 plus 2 = 5

Discuss

vCash
    I mean I think it's a valid point in that a 7 game series isn't the best way to determine who is a better team after a 162 game season. There's a reason the best team doesn't always win, but thrn agai you can say that about all sports

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    I mean I think it's a valid point in that a 7 game series isn't the best way to determine who is a better team after a 162 game season. There's a reason the best team doesn't always win, but thrn agai you can say that about all sports
    It's true in football to, the patriots were the better team but they lost to the giants in 2007, Because the Super Bowl is a winner take all game.

vCash
    Well, following sports in general is kind of weird, I have no impact on the play of my team, if they win, my satisfaction comes from someone else that I will never meet doing well. I don't know....

vCash
    Idgaf....what do you expect? A 162 game playoff tournament?

It is what it is.

vCash
    It's not just luck

It's a 162 game season, that's enduring as hell.

So to make the playoffs is a pretty special event (or should be considered one)

And winning in the post-season isn't entirely luck. The sample sets are microscopic compared to the rest of the season, but it's all about timing. Whoever plays the best in October, and was a good team all season long, is who wins your championship.

There's also the assembly of the team, having the depth to manage injuries, and the execution of positive play by players, and often times not by guys you relied on all season, but often times it's a bench guy stepping up.

It's not just luck, but luck helps. It's about timing and execution and being a good team already.

vCash
    Which is why they shouldn't expand the amount of teams in the playoffs. It is rigorous and hard to make the playoffs and therefore any team that makes it deserves that chance at a championship. By allowing more teams in it certainly allows for more fluke teams.

Or just have the teams play every night rather than every other night in the playoffs and make it a Best-Of-11 series...
    There are no men like me, only me.

vCash
    TC first of all its not luck, secondly your detailed analysis on why you think that in your original post is mind blowing.
    Striving for a kinder, gentler PhillyFaninLA

vCash
    Of course there has to be some luck to make the playoffs. Primarily, injuries. Other than that, the best teams for that season are usually in place to win the WS.

All sports involve some luck.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Idgaf....what do you expect? A 162 game playoff tournament?

It is what it is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Of course there has to be some luck to make the playoffs. Primarily, injuries. Other than that, the best teams for that season are usually in place to win the WS.

All sports involve some luck.
    Part of assembling a good team is assembling a team that has the depth to withstand injuries.

I hate when fans cry about injuries to their team as the reason their team was bad in a given year.

It's your GM's job to have more than adequate depth to survive injuries.

Not going after you here Thawv. Just a pet peeve. Last year, Dodger fans were so bad about it during the NLCS, yet the Cardinals had the same injury problems.

In 2011, Giants fans complained about all of their injuries as their reasoning for not defending their title.

(note, I'm not trying to call out any specific fans here). It's just a pet peeve of mine to have people blame their seasons woes on injuries.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Part of assembling a good team is assembling a team that has the depth to withstand injuries.

I hate when fans cry about injuries to their team as the reason their team was bad in a given year.

It's your GM's job to have more than adequate depth to survive injuries.

Not going after you here Thawv. Just a pet peeve. Last year, Dodger fans were so bad about it during the NLCS, yet the Cardinals had the same injury problems.

In 2011, Giants fans complained about all of their injuries as their reasoning for not defending their title.

(note, I'm not trying to call out any specific fans here). It's just a pet peeve of mine to have people blame their seasons woes on injuries.
    Well dude, if you lose your best player that is going to make a huge difference. Yea, you could survive if you have some depth. But if you lose your best player or two best players, that could kill you. As an Angel fan, I would hate to think of our line up with out Trout in it. Or our pitching staff with out Richards. I think right now we have a shot to make noise in the playoffs (although I don't think we will win it all), but with out one of those guys, or both, I don't think we do anything.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast