Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos Set to Return in 2015

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/08/16...turn-next-year

Alex Anthopoulos, the much-maligned general manager of the Blue Jays, will return for his sixth season running the club, a bevy of major-league sources have confirmed.

Apparently, there is no temperature at all to remove Anthopoulos from his job — in fact, quite the opposite sentiment exists — with an appreciation internally for the manner in which he has conducted his business.

Neither Anthopoulos nor club president Paul Beeston would comment on the general manager’s status.

Anthopoulos has taken tremendous heat from fans, and even from some of his players, for his inability to make a significant deal at the non-waiver trade deadline and, of late, the Jays’ playoff chances are fading.
    It may still be early to judge because it is still possible to win the 2nd wild card spot and then move on to the divisional round of the playoffs. If they were to do that I can see why they would bring him back. However, if they fail to reach the playoffs I don't think they should be bringing him back.

I know we already had a fire AA thread that was closed, but this time we have a source saying he will be back no matter what.

Discuss.

vCash
    Alex Anthopoulos, the much-maligned general manager of the Blue Jays, will return for his sixth season running the club, a bevy of major-league sources have confirmed.

Apparently, there is no temperature at all to remove Anthopoulos from his job — in fact, quite the opposite sentiment exists — with an appreciation internally for the manner in which he has conducted his business.

Neither Anthopoulos nor club president Paul Beeston would comment on the general manager’s status.

Anthopoulos has taken tremendous heat from fans, and even from some of his players, for his inability to make a significant deal at the non-waiver trade deadline and, of late, the Jays’ playoff chances are fading.
    AKA him taking the heat instead of Rogers when it came to payroll.

If we miss the playoffs, wouldn't shock me if he blew it up.

vCash
    The problem with judging AA is we don't know if he didn't make a move because Rogers didn't have any payroll to add (which they should have given the possibility of a playoff spot), or because AA didn't find a move he was interested in. This isn't just in reference to the trade deadline, but the offseason as well.

If it's on Rogers then it's difficult to be frustrated with AA, but if it's because he didn't find a deal that's more troubling, in that case I wouldn't support this decision.

That being said, on the minor league side of things, you have a different story. He focused a lot on building up the team through pitching, and a few years into his draft you're seeing the results. Hutch was taken before he was GM so he gets no credit for that. Stroman was taken 2 years ago and could be a top of the rotation arm. Sanchez was taken in 2010 and he's doing much better in the majors than anybody could have expected, even if it's in relief. Norris was taken in 2011 and he looks quite promising.

So it's not just that they're developing players, but they're developing guys with fairly high ceilings who are moving up quickly through the system and having an impact in the majors. That's not insignificant at all, and whether that's on AA or the scouting team, it's set the team up quite nicely for the future.

It's frustrating they haven't been able to take advantage of the success on the major league squad, but someone, be it AA or the scouting team, is doing a very good job on the minor league side of things.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    Also from the article:

Ownership, however, looks at it somewhat differently. No matter what happens over the final 38 games, it appears pleased that Anthopoulous has put the club’s future in good pitching hands with a potential rotation down the road that includes Marcus Stroman, Aaron Sanchez, Drew Hutchison and minor-league stalwart Daniel Norris — all of whom are 23 years old or younger.

With Anthopoulos certain to return, it is also expected that John Gibbons will be back as manager.

Neither Gibbons nor Anthopoulos have been given any indication personally about their futures in Toronto beyond this season, but the GM’s contract carries into next year while it is assumed that Gibbons’ deal does not.
    THIS AND THAT

The cost to acquire David Price, had the Jays finished negotiations in trade talks with Tampa, was Stroman and Hutchison. And that was without being able to open talks to extend Price’s contract beyond next season ... A little truth on the Rogers-Jays-money debate: The Jays never went to Rogers and asked for more money because they were never close enough to a trade that would have required additional funds. They still believe the money was there had they asked for it. You can believe whatever you want ... Melky Cabrera wants to remain a Blue Jay. That’s what he is telling people. Whether he and the Jays can agree on a price going forward is the question ... Never mind options, I wouldn’t have sent Anthony Gose to the minors. I would have released Juan Francisco or put Steve Tolleson on waivers. I want Gose’s defence and speed any time you need it ... There is more than a little George Bell in Jose Bautista and those who know Bell best say that’s not a bad thing ... Desperation, thy name is Kyle Drabek.
    1. If Stroman/Norris/Sanchez didn't have the years they did then AA would likely be gone it seems.

2. Indifferent on Gibbons.

3. Price was too high for Price. Would've liked to have seen if Rogers would have doled out the $ to sign him tho.

4. Would love to sign Melky back obviously, but if there's not enough money to improve the team outside of re-signing him I don't really see the point. 3rd time's a charm for this core? Or is it best to blow it up and get back eilite position player specs and have an accelerated re-build? Depends if AA is under the gun to make the playoffs next year or not I guess.

vCash
    I still like the guy, but gibbons needs to go he is not a goo manager, we need pitching, and rogers needs to start funding this team more

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by North Yorker View Post
    Also from the article:
    1. If Stroman/Norris/Sanchez didn't have the years they did then AA would likely be gone it seems.
    And if AA hadn't drafted Stroman, Sanchez, Norris the Jays system and future would be worthless. He, or the scouting staff he put together, most definitely get credited for that, and as I said before, the minor league system producing quality players is definitely a point in AA's favour. Say what you want about the major league squad, but there hasn't been this much top tier, homegrown talent in a long time.

2. Indifferent on Gibbons.
    I find him to be an excellent manager, one who recognizes the value in platoons, and putting his players in a position to succeed (position players and pitchers alike). That's really all you can ask for.

3. Price was too high for Price. Would've liked to have seen if Rogers would have doled out the $ to sign him tho.
    I can't imagine they would have allowed a trade to go through if they weren't willing to sign him. If you're giving up 8-10 cheap, cost controlled years, you better be willing to spend the millions it will take to sign Price.

4. Would love to sign Melky back obviously, but if there's not enough money to improve the team outside of re-signing him I don't really see the point. 3rd time's a charm for this core? Or is it best to blow it up and get back eilite position player specs and have an accelerated re-build? Depends if AA is under the gun to make the playoffs next year or not I guess.
    There's enough $$ to re-sign him and improve the team, but it means letting Janssen/Morrow/Rasmus go.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

vCash
    I think that going into next year the rotation will have good depth and high ceilings. Buehrle, Dickey, Hutchison, Nolin, Stroman, Sanchez, Norris, Happ (I would pick up the option on him). If you dont go and add someone to the rotation then I wouldn't be totally upset with a rotation of (in no particular order) Stroman, Buehrle, Dickey, Hutchison, Happ. Have Norris, Sanchez, Nolin start in AAA. I would love to have them all start (or at least Sanchez and Norris in April) but assuming the team does well they will run into innings limits. If Dickey/Buehrle underperform again they become candidates to join the pen. THey would both be in the last year in their contracts so you don't have the worry about them not being happy in 2016. I would love to add more starting depth but then you once again block Sanchez and Norris from getting a legitimate shot at a rotation spot.

What AA needs to do, playoffs or not, is resign Melky and figure out 2B and to a lesser extent C. But the hole right now is the middle of the infield. EIther find a 2B or move Reyes over and find a SS. Either way that needs to be addressed as well as resigning Melky.

And I do agree with Twitchy, AA and his team have done a good job of rebuilding a farm system that lost 7/10 prospects from 2012 through trade and/or promotion. That can't go completely unnoticed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    And if AA hadn't drafted Stroman, Sanchez, Norris the Jays system and future would be worthless. He, or the scouting staff he put together, most definitely get credited for that, and as I said before, the minor league system producing quality players is definitely a point in AA's favour. Say what you want about the major league squad, but there hasn't been this much top tier, homegrown talent in a long time.

I find him to be an excellent manager, one who recognizes the value in platoons, and putting his players in a position to succeed (position players and pitchers alike). That's really all you can ask for.

I can't imagine they would have allowed a trade to go through if they weren't willing to sign him. If you're giving up 8-10 cheap, cost controlled years, you better be willing to spend the millions it will take to sign Price.

There's enough $$ to re-sign him and improve the team, but it means letting Janssen/Morrow/Rasmus go.
    The money will be there I agree and letting those three go would not be ideal but I think you can recover. I love Janssen but he seems to be slowly fadding and Rasmus I think is not worth the long term deal he might get. I relly want him as I think he is an excellent CF and his stick is good not great. I think giving Pillar a chance in an everyday role might be what is best for the team if it means you can resign Melky and find a suitable 2B. As for Morrow, I could be wrong but I remember something about him wanting to come back even if the jays dont pick up his option. But I could be wrong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post

How much money is left to go after a few BP arms, a 2B, and another OF? Assuming Payroll stays at ~140M, and Melky gets $16M or so, that doesn't really leave any money to work with if my math was correct ($138-139M).

If Melky re-signs I'm betting they roll with the same infield with Maicer back and Gose in CF with Pillar the 4th OF/CF platoon (until Pompey is ready at least).

The BP would be basically the same as this year with maybe Delabar/Santos replacing Janssen. I know BP arms are unpredictable but aside from more ML ready pitching specs in the high minors, this doesn't seem like a better team than this year.

vCash
    Naturally. Think JP would have carried water for Rogers as long as Anthopolous has?

vCash
    How much money is left to go after a few BP arms, a 2B, and another OF? Assuming Payroll stays at ~140M, and Melky gets $16M or so, that doesn't really leave any money to work with if my math was correct ($138-139M).

If Melky re-signs I'm betting they roll with the same infield with Maicer back and Gose in CF with Pillar the 4th OF/CF platoon (until Pompey is ready at least).

The BP would be basically the same as this year with maybe Delabar/Santos replacing Janssen. I know BP arms are unpredictable but aside from more ML ready pitching specs in the high minors, this doesn't seem like a better team than this year.

Im not a fan of paying for a BP. Relievers are far to volatile. Build a cheap pen with young powerful arms and add where needed. THe priority is Melky and 2B. And if you dont want to pick up Happ's contract then you would need to find another arm in FA/trade

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysFan87 View Post
    Im not a fan of paying for a BP. Relievers are far to volatile. Build a cheap pen with young powerful arms and add where needed. THe priority is Melky and 2B. And if you dont want to pick up Happ's contract then you would need to find another arm in FA/trade
    Fair enough, but there really isn't any money to go after a 2B in FA, which is why I'm guessing they'll be banking on Maicer, along with a possible Kawasaki/Tolleson platoon to get them through the season at 2B and backup IF.

Point is they'll be mostly be banking on the same core that have come up short the past 2 yrs (assuming they miss the PO) along with young SPs , while the best players grow 1 year older into their 30's. They still just don't have the position player depth needed to survive injuries to their starting lineup.

vCash
    Fair enough, but there really isn't any money to go after a 2B in FA, which is why I'm guessing they'll be banking on Maicer, along with a possible Kawasaki/Tolleson platoon to get them through the season at 2B and backup IF.

Point is they'll be mostly be banking on the same core that have come up short the past 2 yrs (assuming they miss the PO) along with young SPs , while the best players grow 1 year older into their 30's. They still just don't have the position player depth needed to survive injuries to their starting lineup.
    WHile the depth is an issue if they have a core of Bautista/EE/Reyes/Melky/Lind then im happing filling the rest with good depth players. Depth shouldn't be that hard to find and thats soemthing AA needed to do prior to this year.

vCash
    way to put up with mediocrity...

the guy has been given a 140 million dollar payroll and has failed to put together anything close to a complete team. This team has way too many holes for that big of a payroll

Obviously he should stay if we end up winning the wildcard but its stupid to make a decision already

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysFan87 View Post
    The money will be there I agree and letting those three go would not be ideal but I think you can recover. I love Janssen but he seems to be slowly fadding and Rasmus I think is not worth the long term deal he might get. I relly want him as I think he is an excellent CF and his stick is good not great. I think giving Pillar a chance in an everyday role might be what is best for the team if it means you can resign Melky and find a suitable 2B. As for Morrow, I could be wrong but I remember something about him wanting to come back even if the jays dont pick up his option. But I could be wrong.
    I was with you up until the Pillar bit. He's a fourth outfielder at best, and he hasn't even shown he can handle playing that role. I would rather the team sell off then even consider Pillar in an everyday role.

The Jays are much better off with Cabrera in LF and a Kawasaki/Tolleson or even Izturis/Tolleson platoon than they are with Pillar in LF and a quality 2B. The Izturis one is health dependant, but he's an option that I'd forgotten about until North Yorker reminded me.

Morrow I'm torn on. The stuff is great but he's never performed well, and he is very injury prone. As odd as it sounds, I think he just might be best suited in relief. If he's willing to do that and take a pay cut, then hey, I'm all for it. But I wouldn't trust that he could handle a rotation spot, and not at 10M a year.

They're set for $96.2M next year before arbitration or buyouts. Lind is owed $7.5, Happ is $6.7M, but 200K is on the books for the buyout so he's an extra $6.5M. I would keep him just given you would have so many young pitchers in the rotation and you need another veteran who can be shifted to the bullpen if say a Norris or Sanchez forced their way up. And as sad as it sounds, he's more reliable from a health standpoint than Morrow.

I'd buyout McGowan (500K) rather than pay him $4M. I'd probably pick up Thole's option, and while it doesn't say on Cot's I figure it's $1.25 or $1.5M. The big decision here is whether to tender Santos a contract. I'm inclined to say yes, although $6M is a lot of money. That one might depend a bit on how he does in September, otherwise you buy him out for 750K.

Arbitration - Drabek probably gets nontendered unless he shows something in September, Hutch is probably $2M, Delabar is probably $1M, Lawrie is probably 2M, Valencia $1.2M, Dan Johnson is probably non tendered, Reimold is probably $1.25M, Cecil $1.75, Francisco $2M. These are all guesses, but add it up and it's $11.2M

So you're at what, 96+16.75+11.2=$123.95M before you've decided what to do with Santos. If you figure Melky is at least 14M, that's $137M. So Santos might not be a guy who comes back just because they're running out of money.

Note that there have been no external moves here. The lineup is still Navarro/EE/Lind/2B platoon/Lawrie/Reyes/Cabrera/Gose/Bautista. The rotation is some combination of Dickey/Buehrle/Stroman/Hutch and Happ, with Sanchez in AAA as a possibility. The bullpen is a real weakness here, with Delabar, Cecil, Loup, Redmond, and Jenkins as the primary guys. The bench would likely be Thole, Francisco, Tolleson, Reimold & Valencia - but in order to accommodate that, you'd need a 6 man bullpen, and you'd have to be willing to either play Gose vs lefties or to shift Bautista to CF when Gose is out of the game.

I just noticed Cots doesn't include the minimum salary guys, so this could be well over $140M when you factor that in.

Key takeaway here: Happ may have to be non tendered and Sanchez put in the rotation, but in that case there had better be some good veteran depth in AAA in case of an injury. Or you'd have to be pretty confident in Norris if he needs to be called up for a short or long period of time. Or both. Santos may have to be non-tendered as well. If you non tender Happ/Santos, the payroll drops from 137 to around $125M. The bullpen lacks a reliable closer (and unless Delabar bounces back a RH SU), and the bench lacks a true backup CF.

Pillar works as a 4th OF in theory (not performance to this point, though), but the question is does he make the team better than Reimold. Personally, I'd rather have Reimold, but given his injury history it's likely that you could start with Reimold and end up with Pillar.

That's the thing - the Jays are mighty close to 140M if they bring back Santos & Happ. Maybe you non-tender Happ (although he'd have to have some trade value if you keep him...), but if you're bringing Santos back you better be sure you can get some quality innings out of him. I'd hate to lose him for nothing, but if the payroll is $140M then it starts becoming a big question of whether it's worth it to keep Santos.

AA has some very big decisions to make for next year. Is Sanchez ready for the rotation? Should they keep Happ, Morrow and/or Santos? Are they willing to non-tender McGowan to save $3.5M after all the work they've put into keeping him healthy? Those decisions might be key to the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by 2009mvp View Post
    Naturally. Think JP would have carried water for Rogers as long as Anthopolous has?
    Not a chance haha.
    Last edited by Twitchy; 08-17-2014 at 01:10 PM.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast