Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Raiders face reality check with Schaub, Carr

Good article from NFL.com

The Raiders signed up for a season's worth of Matt Schaub. Now they have to live with it.

Oakland's 33-year-old starting quarterback lasted four drives against a swarming Detroit pass rush before giving way to rookie Derek Carr in Friday night's 27-26 preseason win over the Lions.

Schaub wasn't a total disaster, finishing 8-of-13 passing for 87 yards and a pick that wasn't his fault. Before bowing out, he led an 11-play, 60-yard touchdown march that helped offset the stink of his first three scoreless drives -- including two three-and-outs.

Bottom line: This is the same Schaub we suffered through all last season. His arm strength is visibly compromised, one reason he's grown fond of dumping off the ball to safety valves out of the backfield.

Schaub faced heavy pressure behind a Raiders line that failed to pick up the Detroit blitz, but his lethargic delivery too often drains this offense.

We saw more rhythm and energy from rookie Derek Carr, who finished 9 of 16 for 109 yards and a score before leaving for the locker room with an apparent rib injury. Coach Dennis Allen later told reporters Carr sufferred a concussion.

Carr isn't as game-ready as Blake Bortles, but his physical tools outshine Schaub's. The first-year passer generated three scoring drives and displayed a lively arm. He operated the play-action pass with poise and drove the ball downfield, gaining comfort as the contest wore on.

Much of Carr's handiwork came against a swath of Lions reserves, but that doesn't alter Schaub's low ceiling. Carr can do anything the aged veteran can do, and he can do something Schaub can't: Provide a spark.

He'll be your Raiders starter by October.

vCash
    llullz.

vCash
    @VicTafur: Dennis Allen said #Raiders rookie quarterback Derek Carr is feeling a lot better. x-rays on ribs negative, going though concussion protocol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SDraiders619 View Post
    @VicTafur: Dennis Allen said #Raiders rookie quarterback Derek Carr is feeling a lot better. x-rays on ribs negative, going though concussion protocol
    Great news

vCash
    I knew it wouldn't be long before people called for Schaub's head, I just didn't think it would be this soon. You have to give Detroit some credit in this. That defense is no slouch. Sure, Schaub isn't going to confuse anyone with Brett Favre at that same age, but as I said before, we're not looking for him to become the Mad Bomber. We want Schaub to make quicker decisions with his arm and develop some kind of rapport with the receivers. If he can't trust one, then he better learn to trust the other. We are going to be a ball control offense this year, given the teams that we're facing. Of that I'm certain. Schaub ought to be good enough for that.

Carr won't start until December, barring injury.
    "The United States military doesn't DO pin pricks." ~ President Barack Obama.

vCash
    There's one more QB reality check that has to be reconciled. I understand it's early, I understand that McGloin played against The Lion's 2nd and 3rd team, and a bunch of scrubs that will be cut.

But, inho, McGloin looked the sharpest. He had the most confidence, the most hunger, the most to prove. His passes had more snap and they appeared to be smarter. He looked better in the pocket. He was at least as accurate, if not more so, then either Carr or Schaub.

I also understand that the deck is stacked against him. If RM/DA spent all that money, and a 2nd round pick for Schaub and Carr, then one of those two guys better damn well start, or management looks bad. Then again, if they don't give McGloin a real chance to compete, then they might end up looking even worse down the road.

vCash
    If Shaub is benched by October, then Chuckie will be the new head coach in February
    The autumn wind is a Raider

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Pedaso View Post
    If Shaub is benched by October, then Chuckie will be the new head coach in February
    MM and Carr looked light years better than Schaub. It isnt close to anyone who has actually watched the games thus far.

Will RM admit yet another QB mistake and cut schaub like he did with flynn? Either way, he looks bad for making this trade. Allen will lose his job faster than you can say 'chucky's return' if he decides to stick with schaub instead of the BEST option at QB (MM or Carr).

Weeks 1-6 will be VERY interesting to watch....Allen AND RM's jobs are VERY much on the line here, and if this latest round of moves dont work out, they will be shown the door by midseason.

vCash
    Watching the QB play last night was slightly disturbing. Not sure if it is by design or not. But I didn't see Schaub checking out of the play when faced with blitzes....except on that screen to MJD for twenty yards or so. I say it's coaching and Schaub so far. He better learn how to audible out of the play if he sees blitzing.
    Last edited by RaiderIke37; 08-16-2014 at 08:47 PM.
    "Don't worry about the horses being blind.......just load the wagon!"
    ~~John Madden

vCash
    For a preseason game, I honestly thought all of our QB's did OK.

These guys are just itching to tear the Nation down at any chance. This is the year we turn the corner! Beliehdat

vCash
    ^Not seeing nor feeling that one. I hate to say it but I am not all all impressed with really anything on this team at this point. A few bright spots I like Carrie and Sheets but not to start as depth. None of our 3 QBs really show me enough talent to deliver us a winning season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderKid318 View Post
    ^Not seeing nor feeling that one. I hate to say it but I am not all all impressed with really anything on this team at this point. A few bright spots I like Carrie and Sheets but not to start as depth. None of our 3 QBs really show me enough talent to deliver us a winning season.
    Not even Carr? He's flashed some potential. Showed off his arm a couple of times

vCash
    I went back and re watched the game and Yea Schaub did not impress me. I do think if Carr doesn't get hurt he could have won that game. But he didn't so we don't know but MM and Carr looked good to me. I really think this team needs to start rethinking the whole Schaub thing.

And you are what your record says you are.
    Sure liked the two years before DA and RM 1 game away from playoffs.
    And some say we are better off today.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Darts View Post
    I went back and re watched the game and Yea Schaub did not impress me. I do think if Carr doesn't get hurt he could have won that game. But he didn't so we don't know but MM and Carr looked good to me. I really think this team needs to start rethinking the whole Schaub thing.
    It should be interesting when Schaub throws his first pick 6. The crowd will be chanting loudly for Carr or McGloin.

Who wants a "Jelly" Sandwich?

vCash
    I'm just glad we have two young quarterbacks on our roster that show lots of promise. This is a first with this franchise.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast