Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Eagles stuck wearing black uniforms for early part of 2014 because green isn't ready

...because of issues "color matching" with Nike. No joke. Article here, for those who care:

Odd scene at last night’s Eagles/Pats game in Foxboro, as New England opted to wear white at home and the Eagles wore their black alts. But according to a series of tweets from Philadelphia Inquirer reporter Zach Berman, the black alts weren’t just an aesthetic choice — they were worn out of necessity, because Philly’s new green jerseys in Nike’s Elite 51 tailoring template aren’t ready yet. Why are they running late? Berman says it’s because “midnight green is a custom color that apparently needs time to make.” And here’s the kicker: According to Berman, the green jerseys won’t be ready in time for the start of the regular season either, so the Eagles will be wearing a lot of black in the early part of the 2014 schedule.

Let’s go back and add some context to this. When Nike unveiled all 32 teams’ new uniforms in April of 2012, the Eagles were among the handful of teams that stuck with the old Reebok tailoring and fabrication. As I reported at the time, Nike’s own press notes at the event said that the Eagles hadn’t gone with the new Elite 51 template due to “color matching issues.” It wasn’t clear why midnight green would present such a challenge, but whatever — I figured the Eagles would use the old Reebok template and fabrication in 2012 and then change to the Elite 51 template in 2013.

But that didn’t happen. The Eagles stuck with the Reebok template/fabric in 2013. Then it was announced that they’d finally be switching to Elite 51 for 2014 (and sure enough, they wore the white version for their first preseason game last week). But now it turns out that Nike still has production problems with midnight green.

This all seems bizarre. What exactly is so difficult about this color? (Insert obvious “Just go back to kelly green already!” quip here.)
    -Uni-Watch
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    im okay with that, i like the black unis

vCash
    I like the black uniforms too, but last night they had this weird green neck band that I didn't care for. I don't remember seeing that before. As long as Kelly green stays in the past, I'll be ok.

Or I could just not care so deeply about the color of clothing of the strangers who play sports on my TV.

vCash
    Plus one on the blacks, always liked them

I would like if they did the helmets in the matte like the Vikings; the green would look cool in the matte

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Route 36 West View Post
    I like the black uniforms too, but last night they had this weird green neck band that I didn't care for. I don't remember seeing that before. As long as Kelly green stays in the past, I'll be ok.

Or I could just not care so deeply about the color of clothing of the strangers who play sports on my TV.
    They always have had the midnight green accents.

http://news.sportslogos.net/wp-conte...-16.23.00-.png

I also have a Ricky Watters black uniform in my closet with the midnight green trim.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    Welp. Alright then. Didn't notice until last night I guess.

vCash
    I want the Kelly green unis soooooo bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    I want the Kelly green unis soooooo bad.
    Boom. There's some talk they might go back to them soon.

Those throwbacks they wore against GB on our home opener a few years ago would be perfect.
    #WhyNot?