Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    61
    vCash
    500

    If Philly drafted Kobe #1 overall...

    I remember an old article saying that the Sixers planned on taking Kobe first overall in the 96 draft until Iverson's last workout with them.

    If they wound up doing it, and for comparisons' sake if Iverson somehow fell to the Hornets and was traded to the Lakers in the same deal, how do their careers turn out?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    597
    vCash
    1500
    Wasn't Iverson the consensus #1 coming out of college? I remember seeing some footage of the Sixers GM at the time jumping for joy winning the Iverson lottery.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,797
    vCash
    1500
    Sixers were not considering Kobe #1. Kobe was not even a projected top ten pick back then. No high school guards had ever been drafted prior to then. The Sixers were only considering Stephon Maybury as an alternative. Remember the Sixers had Stackhouse do he was their SG.

    As for the hypothetical...

    Iverson would probably win a championship or two with Shaq.

    Kobe is difficult to say. The team was built around Iverson so theirs multiple possibilities. One such possibility is that the Sixers would probably lose a few more games in 1997 meaning they could have received the #1 pick in the 1998 draft. Kobe and Duncan... What could have been.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    In a crib
    Posts
    2,697
    vCash
    1500
    I want to see the article your referring to OP

    Your baby can't do this

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    23,834
    vCash
    2502
    I'll probably catch hell for this, but I think you can make an argument that if Kobe had ended up in Philly and Iverson in LA that the Iverson/Shaq duo would have won more titles than the Kobe/Shaq duo. That's not to say that I think Iverson was remotely as good of a player in his career as Kobe. Far from it. But Iverson took less time to develop into an elite scorer than Kobe did. And although Iverson also had a massive ego, he was more of a fun-loving guy like Shaq. I think those guy would have gotten along better and Shaq might have stayed in LA for longer.

    As for what Kobe's career would have been like in Philly, I have no idea. I do think those 76er teams with Kobe/Mutombo would have been hard to stop in the East in the early 2000s and they could have given an Iverson/Shaq duo a run for their money. But I still don't think that team is better than that Pistons squad, and there are a lot of other variables on that team that would have been different.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Bernabeu
    Posts
    1,838
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I'll probably catch hell for this, but I think you can make an argument that if Kobe had ended up in Philly and Iverson in LA that the Iverson/Shaq duo would have won more titles than the Kobe/Shaq duo. That's not to say that I think Iverson was remotely as good of a player in his career as Kobe. Far from it. But Iverson took less time to develop into an elite scorer than Kobe did. And although Iverson also had a massive ego, he was more of a fun-loving guy like Shaq. I think those guy would have gotten along better and Shaq might have stayed in LA for longer.

    As for what Kobe's career would have been like in Philly, I have no idea. I do think those 76er teams with Kobe/Mutombo would have been hard to stop in the East in the early 2000s and they could have given an Iverson/Shaq duo a run for their money. But I still don't think that team is better than that Pistons squad, and there are a lot of other variables on that team that would have been different.
    yeah because u guys used to hangout all the time

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Fort Washington, PA
    Posts
    1,558
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk6 View Post
    yeah because u guys used to hangout all the time
    lol... I do know Shaq&AI were/are very good friends though.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    21,015
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by XpLiCiTT:28934250
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk6 View Post
    yeah because u guys used to hangout all the time
    lol... I do know Shaq&AI were/are very good friends though.
    Yeah because you 3 used to hangout all the time

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Fort Washington, PA
    Posts
    1,558
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    Yeah because you 3 used to hangout all the time
    lol

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    23,834
    vCash
    2502
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk6 View Post
    yeah because u guys used to hangout all the time
    I'm just basing my opinion on interviews and public perception. I just think Iverson and Shaq would have gotten along better and would have made for a better pairing in terms of chemistry.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,927
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I'll probably catch hell for this, but I think you can make an argument that if Kobe had ended up in Philly and Iverson in LA that the Iverson/Shaq duo would have won more titles than the Kobe/Shaq duo. That's not to say that I think Iverson was remotely as good of a player in his career as Kobe. Far from it. But Iverson took less time to develop into an elite scorer than Kobe did. And although Iverson also had a massive ego, he was more of a fun-loving guy like Shaq. I think those guy would have gotten along better and Shaq might have stayed in LA for longer.

    As for what Kobe's career would have been like in Philly, I have no idea. I do think those 76er teams with Kobe/Mutombo would have been hard to stop in the East in the early 2000s and they could have given an Iverson/Shaq duo a run for their money. But I still don't think that team is better than that Pistons squad, and there are a lot of other variables on that team that would have been different.
    I agree with you. Iverson and Shaq would have been as good if not better. What Shaq would have lost in post up opportunities he would have made up for with putbacks haha
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

    but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    5,093
    vCash
    1500
    Both won't attend practices though...
    <3

    lakers4sho | Chavacano | EricBallsachs | Avenged24 | still1ballin | GREATNESS ONE | Chacarron
    LakersMaster24 | KB-Pau-DH2012 | 8kobe24 | championships | Lakers+Giants | LakerShow
    AussieLaker | YouCan'tBeatLA


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,018
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiFanMem View Post
    I remember an old article saying that the Sixers planned on taking Kobe first overall in the 96 draft until Iverson's last workout with them.

    If they wound up doing it, and for comparisons' sake if Iverson somehow fell to the Hornets and was traded to the Lakers in the same deal, how do their careers turn out?
    Iverson would have 3 to 5 rings, & Kobe wouldn't have any. The Lakers organization was a big part of Kobe getting those two rings without Shaq (Gasol trade, that would not have happen for any other team).


    Any of these guys in the early 2000's would have rings (or won rings), if they played with prime Shaq.... Tmac, Vince carter, Riggie Miller, Chris Webber, Dirk, Jason Kid, Ray Allen, Manu Ginobili.

    And players of today... Wade, Lbj, Curry, Cp3, KD, WestBrook, T Parker, Melo...etc



    Enjoy Haters
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQkyxNNNefg

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImlKH...eature=related

    Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post
    As a rookie Micheal Beasley averaged 13.9pts per game on .472 shooting. Do you know how many times Kobe Bryant or Tracy Mcgrady shot at that percent or better? Never in there whole careers. If Beas can be what he was when he was a rookie (he won't hell be better) then the heat are coming away with another steal.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    kentucky
    Posts
    3,070
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiFanMem View Post
    I remember an old article saying that the Sixers planned on taking Kobe first overall in the 96 draft until Iverson's last workout with them.

    If they wound up doing it, and for comparisons' sake if Iverson somehow fell to the Hornets and was traded to the Lakers in the same deal, how do their careers turn out?
    Is it from the Bleacher Report because that sounds realllyyyyyyyyy really wrong AI was Philly's Guy from the word go and Kobe was not a projected top 10 guy The SG postion was taken by Stackhouse as well wtf? xD


    2012 allstar

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    kentucky
    Posts
    3,070
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Dade County View Post
    Iverson would have 3 to 5 rings, & Kobe wouldn't have any. The Lakers organization was a big part of Kobe getting those two rings without Shaq (Gasol trade, that would not have happen for any other team).


    Any of these guys in the early 2000's would have rings (or won rings), if they played with prime Shaq.... Tmac, Vince carter, Riggie Miller, Chris Webber, Dirk, Jason Kid, Ray Allen, Manu Ginobili.

    And players of today... Wade, Lbj, Curry, Cp3, KD, WestBrook, T Parker, Melo...etc
    thats how i feel too and alot of people would be much higher on Iverson because of rings or whatever xD But i still think Kobe would be a highly respected player.


    2012 allstar

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •