Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

If Philly drafted Kobe #1 overall...

I remember an old article saying that the Sixers planned on taking Kobe first overall in the 96 draft until Iverson's last workout with them.

If they wound up doing it, and for comparisons' sake if Iverson somehow fell to the Hornets and was traded to the Lakers in the same deal, how do their careers turn out?

vCash
    Wasn't Iverson the consensus #1 coming out of college? I remember seeing some footage of the Sixers GM at the time jumping for joy winning the Iverson lottery.

vCash
    Sixers were not considering Kobe #1. Kobe was not even a projected top ten pick back then. No high school guards had ever been drafted prior to then. The Sixers were only considering Stephon Maybury as an alternative. Remember the Sixers had Stackhouse do he was their SG.

As for the hypothetical...

Iverson would probably win a championship or two with Shaq.

Kobe is difficult to say. The team was built around Iverson so theirs multiple possibilities. One such possibility is that the Sixers would probably lose a few more games in 1997 meaning they could have received the #1 pick in the 1998 draft. Kobe and Duncan... What could have been.

vCash
    I want to see the article your referring to OP

Your baby can't do this

vCash
    I'll probably catch hell for this, but I think you can make an argument that if Kobe had ended up in Philly and Iverson in LA that the Iverson/Shaq duo would have won more titles than the Kobe/Shaq duo. That's not to say that I think Iverson was remotely as good of a player in his career as Kobe. Far from it. But Iverson took less time to develop into an elite scorer than Kobe did. And although Iverson also had a massive ego, he was more of a fun-loving guy like Shaq. I think those guy would have gotten along better and Shaq might have stayed in LA for longer.

As for what Kobe's career would have been like in Philly, I have no idea. I do think those 76er teams with Kobe/Mutombo would have been hard to stop in the East in the early 2000s and they could have given an Iverson/Shaq duo a run for their money. But I still don't think that team is better than that Pistons squad, and there are a lot of other variables on that team that would have been different.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I'll probably catch hell for this, but I think you can make an argument that if Kobe had ended up in Philly and Iverson in LA that the Iverson/Shaq duo would have won more titles than the Kobe/Shaq duo. That's not to say that I think Iverson was remotely as good of a player in his career as Kobe. Far from it. But Iverson took less time to develop into an elite scorer than Kobe did. And although Iverson also had a massive ego, he was more of a fun-loving guy like Shaq. I think those guy would have gotten along better and Shaq might have stayed in LA for longer.

As for what Kobe's career would have been like in Philly, I have no idea. I do think those 76er teams with Kobe/Mutombo would have been hard to stop in the East in the early 2000s and they could have given an Iverson/Shaq duo a run for their money. But I still don't think that team is better than that Pistons squad, and there are a lot of other variables on that team that would have been different.
    yeah because u guys used to hangout all the time

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk6 View Post
    lol... I do know Shaq&AI were/are very good friends though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by XpLiCiTT:28934250
    lol... I do know Shaq&AI were/are very good friends though.
    Yeah because you 3 used to hangout all the time

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    Yeah because you 3 used to hangout all the time
    lol

vCash
    I'm just basing my opinion on interviews and public perception. I just think Iverson and Shaq would have gotten along better and would have made for a better pairing in terms of chemistry.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post

I agree with you. Iverson and Shaq would have been as good if not better. What Shaq would have lost in post up opportunities he would have made up for with putbacks haha
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    Both won't attend practices though...
    <3

lakers4sho | Chavacano | EricBallsachs | Avenged24 | still1ballin | GREATNESS ONE | Chacarron
    LakersMaster24 | KB-Pau-DH2012 | 8kobe24 | championships | Lakers+Giants | LakerShow
    AussieLaker | YouCan'tBeatLA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiFanMem View Post
    I remember an old article saying that the Sixers planned on taking Kobe first overall in the 96 draft until Iverson's last workout with them.

If they wound up doing it, and for comparisons' sake if Iverson somehow fell to the Hornets and was traded to the Lakers in the same deal, how do their careers turn out?
    Iverson would have 3 to 5 rings, & Kobe wouldn't have any. The Lakers organization was a big part of Kobe getting those two rings without Shaq (Gasol trade, that would not have happen for any other team).

Any of these guys in the early 2000's would have rings (or won rings), if they played with prime Shaq.... Tmac, Vince carter, Riggie Miller, Chris Webber, Dirk, Jason Kid, Ray Allen, Manu Ginobili.

And players of today... Wade, Lbj, Curry, Cp3, KD, WestBrook, T Parker, Melo...etc

Enjoy Haters
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQkyxNNNefg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImlKH...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post
    As a rookie Micheal Beasley averaged 13.9pts per game on .472 shooting. Do you know how many times Kobe Bryant or Tracy Mcgrady shot at that percent or better? Never in there whole careers. If Beas can be what he was when he was a rookie (he won't hell be better) then the heat are coming away with another steal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiFanMem View Post

Is it from the Bleacher Report because that sounds realllyyyyyyyyy really wrong AI was Philly's Guy from the word go and Kobe was not a projected top 10 guy The SG postion was taken by Stackhouse as well wtf? xD

2012 allstar

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dade County View Post
    Iverson would have 3 to 5 rings, & Kobe wouldn't have any. The Lakers organization was a big part of Kobe getting those two rings without Shaq (Gasol trade, that would not have happen for any other team).

Any of these guys in the early 2000's would have rings (or won rings), if they played with prime Shaq.... Tmac, Vince carter, Riggie Miller, Chris Webber, Dirk, Jason Kid, Ray Allen, Manu Ginobili.

And players of today... Wade, Lbj, Curry, Cp3, KD, WestBrook, T Parker, Melo...etc
    thats how i feel too and alot of people would be much higher on Iverson because of rings or whatever xD But i still think Kobe would be a highly respected player.

2012 allstar

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast