Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Preseason Week 2: Tennessee Titans @ New Orleans Saints

Thought this deserved it's own thread. The offense has been pretty stellar so far, but the defense has been shredded in the passing game.

vCash
    The defense has been attrocious...Sensabaugh has been getting torched and BWW hasn't had the greatest showing.

vCash
    I'm seriously loving what my seeing from Mett.

EDIT: Right when I say that Hagan basically hands the ball to SJB.

vCash
    I think I may or may not have jinxed him.

vCash
    - Jake Locker looked good for most of the game. But he had a couple bad throws that luckily weren't intercepted. He seemed to trail off there towards the end though almost like he got too comfortable and started taking more risks instead of picking his shots. All the same he was 8-11 with a touchdown and no turnovers hope he keeps it up.

- Zach Mettenberger is showing some reason to be excited for the future. Even if Jake Locker isn't the guy they have a guy in Mettenberger on the roster that has that potential. He has flashed some brilliance these last 2 games with some big throws. But the turnovers have got to be cleaned up even though a couple weren't really on his shoulders.

- JAG.... Just Another Guy with 111 yards and 2 touchdowns on Friday night. There is no excuses for this team to struggle in the passing game anymore. We got 3 solid receivers, a solid group of tight ends and a solid group of backs out of the backfield. In addition to what looks to be one of the better offensive lines in the league.

- Marc Mariani with the return week for the second week in a row in the 1st half. That's pretty interesting. If it were a battle you think that Washington would have go touches either this week or last week.

- Travis Coons helped his case by hitting a 45-yard field goal and then after a penalty having to re-kick goes out and hits a 50-yard field goal.

- Running backs gotta hold onto the football. They talked about it during the week that they were putting the ball on the ground. Greene and Sankey both with fumbles on the night.

- What has happened to Delanie Walker and Craig Stevens? They have been MIA the last couple weeks and from what I've read haven't exactly been lighting it up in camp. On the flipside Taylor Thompson with 8 receptions on 10 targets these last 2 weeks.

- Still some concerns on defense but its early in the transistion. I just worry we don't currently have the pieces to run that scheme.

vCash
    Steelcity touched on most of this, but just a few additions:

- Hunter was a monster last night. That 4-yard TD catch was really, really impressive. A lesser receiver could not have brought both feet down in bounds on that catch. But he had a couple of other nice catches and that 64-yarder was just too easy.

- Mettenberger also really impressed me. He was consistently able to move the football on the Saints, and if not for turnovers, he would have thrown for 300+ yards and they would have won this thing by double digits. That interception wasn't a great throw, but it was a really great play by the safety. Other than that, I didn't see a ton of mistakes from him last night. He was very poised.

- Roos got bull rushed on way play in the second quarter for an easy sack on Locker. It was an ugly play on his part, and I don't believe I'd ever heard of the guy who go the sack. And it was horrible timing as the Titans were deep in New Orleans territory on a 3rd and short. If Roos doesn't screw the pooch on that play, the Titans are probably scoring another TD. I wonder if Lewan could take over this starting LT spot sooner than we think.

- Locker played really well aside from that one throw that clearly should have been intercepted. He even hit on some longer, intermediate throws that I've seen him botch in the past. His scrambling also saved a few plays that likely should have been sacks. If he stays healthy, I think he could have a really, really good year.

- Despite the fumbling (which was inexcusable), both Greene and Sankey had some nice carries in the backfield. It was interesting that they had Leon Washington in at HB a few times with the first team offense, but I don't think he had a single carry and I think those were all passing situations. McCluster had a couple of nice plays in the passing game again. Greene really impressed me on a 3rd and 1 early in the game where he made a nice move to avoid a defender in the backfield and pick up a first down.

- I paid less attention to the defense last night, but I did notice Ayers a few times. In addition to getting the Titans only sack, he was on there on a few different plays.

- They were torched in the passing game, but the run defense was certainly a hell of a lot better than it was in week one. I heard Jones' name called a few times in terms of getting penetration in the backfield. I really hope he's starting by the end of the season, because I think he might be the Titans best run defender.

- Although it was called back by a defensive penalty, Stafford had a nice heads up interception that he returned for 20 yards. Through two weeks, he's had more big plays on the defense than anyone else. That's one of the few guys in the secondary I'm genuinely excited about.

vCash
    I DVR'd the game, and am finally watching it now.

I have faith in Horton overall, but am definitely concerned about this defense (if that makes sense lol). The first team defense has been pretty bad through 2 games. I don't put all the stock into pre-season, but it's concerning how they've been torched in both the pass and run.

Locker looked quite good. I think our offense is going to move the ball this year. The OL is damn good, and Greene/Sankey should consistently pick up 4-5 yards, allowing Locker to have success with Whis' short to intermediate game. Locker made some really nice throws to Walker, Wright, Dex, Hunter and Thompson. I really think we're going to be able to move the ball.

Mettenberger made some really nice throws. I'll say it again. I liked him at LSU, and was very happy when we drafted him. He's a Whiz prototypical QB, and I wouldn't be shocked if he ends up being our QB of the future, only if Locker doesn't work out though.

vCash
    Oh how ironic when I was the only one barking out Mett to start week one, only to be met with laughter and mockery.

On a serious note tho, Mett has looked great all things considered and should certainly open up a qb battle.

vCash
    I still wouldn't agree with starting Mett in week one (barring an injury to Locker, knock wood). But, I do agree that he has looked really good and is cause for excitement about the future of this team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfDaNorth View Post
    Oh how ironic when I was the only one barking out Mett to start week one, only to be met with laughter and mockery.

On a serious note tho, Mett has looked great all things considered and should certainly open up a qb battle.
    Are you seriously trying to take credit after two weeks of facing 2nd and 3rd stringers? I'm pretty sure nobody was upset with the pick. Also I'm pretty sure the guy who should, and will, start did pretty well himself against the first team defense. Maybe pump the breaks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by scarylarry23 View Post
    Are you seriously trying to take credit after two weeks of facing 2nd and 3rd stringers? I'm pretty sure nobody was upset with the pick. Also I'm pretty sure the guy who should, and will, start did pretty well himself against the first team defense. Maybe pump the breaks.
    First off, let's be real for a second with ourselves, no first string players go full force in the preseason. Starters come out and play a couple series with their biggest goal, to remain healthy. Personally, I don't consider anything that occurs during the pre season to amount to much. With that being said, don't discount Mettenbergers stats and play only to praise Lockers. As I've said Locker did go against starters but starters who were looking to avoid injuries, not make plays necessarily. While Mett went against backups, yes, but we all know those backups are hungriest and willing to put it all on the line. No I'm not ready to annoint Mettenberger a HOF or even the starter but I did say Mettenberger could push Locker for the week one start. I'm not sure what you or other dilusional Locker supporters have to base this sense of entitlement Jake has in regard to the starting job but Mettenberger is breathing down his neck a lot more and a lot quicker than most expected.

vCash
    Starting Mett week one would still be a ginormous mistake of epic proportions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KnocOnYoBloc View Post
    Starting Mett week one would still be a ginormous mistake of epic proportions.
    See, I don't agree with that statement by any stretch. I, do however, believe Locker should start week one based solely on Mettenbergers knee injury. If Mettenberger weren't coming off a serious injury, I'd be comfortable starting him. What I can't understand is, as I stated earlier, what grounds these Locker supporters have to feel entitled to the starting job. Locker has been the definition of inconsistent, as well as the definition of injury proned. I hope Locker comes out and shuts everyone up (myself included) with his performance but to this point we have nothing to indicate that is even possible. IMO Locker makes it thru 6-8 games before going down.

vCash
    Ryan Nassib (NYG) 19-33 for 220 yards and 1 touchdown
    Ryan Griffin (NO) 16-23 for 179 yards and 1 touchdown
    Jimmy Garoppolo (NE) 9-13 for 157 yards and 1 touchdown
    Drew Stanton (ARI) 11-17 for 152 yards and 1 touchdown
    Jimmy Clausen (CHI) 7-13 for 150 yards and 2 touchdowns
    Kellen Clemens (SD) 5-5 for 134 yards and 1 touchdown
    Austin Davis (STL) 10-16 for 134 yards and 1 touchdown
    Chase Daniel (KC) 8-10 for 126 yards and 1 touchdown with 1 interception
    Kellen Moore (Det) 11-13 for 121 yards and 1 touchdown
    Logan Thomas (Ari) 11-12 for 113 yards and 1 touchdown
    Brandon Weeden (Dallas) 13-17 for 107 yards and 1 touchdown
    Colt McCoy (Wash) 8-9 for 102 yards and 1 touchdown
    Curtis Painter (NYG) 10-10 for 94 yards and 1 touchdown

Pick one. Its the preseason.

So far there have been +30 quarterbacks with over 100 QB Rating and +30 quarterbacks throwing over 70%.

It would make no sense to go with Mettenberger over Locker at this point.

(1) Jake Locker has got all the 1st team reps in training camp and so far in the preseason. He has a couple seasons under his belt developing a bond with the receivers and tight ends on the team. You would be starting all that from scratch with Mettenberger a couple weeks before the start of the season.

(2) Jake Locker is in the last year of his rookie contract. We got Zach Mettenberger for the next 4 seasons regardless of what happens. Wouldn't you want to give Jake Locker the chance at a full season before deciding to cut bait. Especially when Jake Locker is the better option at this point anyways.

(3) The worst that can happen if you go with Jake Locker is that either (a) he proves again that he can't stay healthy (b) he shows that he isn't the guy. Then at that point you can go to Mettenberger knowing that Locker is done. Whereas the other way around if you bench Locker for Mettenberger then if Mettenberger falls flat on his face where do you go at that point? You may have likely damaged the confidence of both Locker and Mettenberger. If they go with Mettenberger and then had to turn and go back to Locker it would make the coaches look dumb. Also if you done that and Locker played well it would have decreased any odds of him wanting to resign with the team.

(4) Zach Mettenberger isn't ready yet. He has got an arm for sure. But he still isn't there yet. That is evident by the fumbles in both games. Give the coaches some time to clean up the little things in his game.