Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash

What would have Oden likely become with injuries?

EDIT: The header is supposed to say "WITHOUT" injuries. My bad. Sorry.

Another recent thread is discussing Oden and guys who have had big drops in their career for any number of reasons, but I'm curious as to what people think Oden's career arc would have looked like without injuries?

Watching him play, one thing is clear: He is a great rebounder.

Another thing is clear: the only way he would NOT foul out if given starting minutes, is if the NBA hired WWE officials and Oden has his manager and/or valet distracting them every time he was on defense.

All recent personal issues aside, Oden has proven that he is a tremendously hard worker. His physical conditioning is frankly amazing. There are few guys more ripped than Oden. And that has made him a tough rebounder, but the first two seasons he played, he averaged over 6 fouls per36. He would not have been an effective defender with those kind of numbers, and his blocks per-fouls ratio is awful.

This year, in limited minutes, it was even worse. he averaged 8.8 fouls per36.

I admittedly have not seen a lot of Oden, and I doubt many fans outside of Portland of college fans have given that he has only played 105 games in almost 10 years (that is about 10 games per season), but the games I have seen, his offense is also very limited. He's not much of a free-throw shooter, and while I wouldn't call him turnover prone, he commits more than his share.

In the small sample size I've seen, I think Oden would have been a huge bust even if he had stayed healthy. His best case scenario is that he ends up like Tyson Chandler, but his fouls would prevent him being as effective on defense. The more likely scenario is he becomes more like Reggie Evans...

I know some will say that he was away from the game for a year before starting his official rookie campaign, but we saw Blake Griffin go through the same process, and his rookie year he was the clear cut ROY and showed even in the first 30 games that he was All-Star material.

So.... would Oden have been a bust regardless? Or would have been able to turn into the next Dikembe or Ben Wallace, or Tyson Chandler?
    Last edited by JasonJohnHorn; 08-16-2014 at 09:41 AM.
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    Oden could have been 90% the player alonzo mourning was in his prime.

vCash
    I have read the subject heading 10 times and it still makes zero sense to me. Am I missing something here?

vCash
    No way is Oden a bust if he's healthy! Staying out of foul trouble is something that he'd have learned over time but even with the foul trouble his presence was felt on the court on both ends in his limited action.

You mentioned his per36 numbers for fouls but what about the rest of them. 17/13 with 3.5 blocks and 65% ts in his 2nd year with a 'limited' offensive game. That's pretty damn good for someone who hadn't even begun to tap into his potential. If he ever managed to stay on the court he'd have collected at least 1 or 2 DPOY.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Moroni View Post
    I have read the subject heading 10 times and it still makes zero sense to me. Am I missing something here?
    Ok I wasn't the only one haha
    7 Rec, 69 YD, 1TD

vCash
    He had the potential to be one of the best defensive bigs in NBA history, but so do most bigs taken in the top 5 or so. Very few actually do it. We can't just assume that if healthy he would have met his potential.

vCash
    i think he would be the best big in the game. he ran well, was pretty damn athletic for his size and had a game. wouldn't be the best player in the league but he could be the best C. Better than Howard in his prime probably.

vCash
    at his peak, he still wouldn't have been as good as KD. The Blazers had a vote on their website on who they should take back in 2007. I for one voted KD, as did only like 15% of the public. No worries though Portland. You have a great 1-2 punch in Lillard and LMA. Portland is better off now than what they probably would of been with a healthy Greg Oden.

To answer the question, I'd say his peak would be Tyson Chandler. Productive, but not number 1 pick worthy
    Unleash the Mamba!

vCash
    Happened to me too lol. Messed up typing 'without' instead of 'with'

vCash
    Naw, I don't agree at all with the tyson chandler comparison, his offensive game was much more dominant than most realize...

In the (limited) games he played, he was drawing double teams 80% of the times they were posting him up. He had foul troubles for sure, but that's because he was too trigger happy on blocks..
    save the drama for your mama.

vCash
    A mixture of Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain with a sprinkle of Shaquille O'Neal

AAL: Joesph Fauria
    YRDs: 46
    TDs:
    Cool TD Dances: ∞

Quote Originally Posted by ****ed in DET View Post
    If Waddle doesn't get the starting gig I'm outta here. I will never post again.

vCash
    It seems as if we're being asked how good would he have been after recovering from his injuries.

The lost boys

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LakersA's49ers View Post
    at his peak, he still wouldn't have been as good as KD. The Blazers had a vote on their website on who they should take back in 2007. I for one voted KD, as did only like 15% of the public. No worries though Portland. You have a great 1-2 punch in Lillard and LMA. Portland is better off now than what they probably would of been with a healthy Greg Oden.

To answer the question, I'd say his peak would be Tyson Chandler. Productive, but not number 1 pick worthy
    its hard to compare guys that play different positions. The center position as weak as it is oden would have been top two or three. Consider his college days with the broken right hand. This dude switched lefty and wasn't that bad. No other center could do that. He would have been better than Bynum simply because of attitude and Roy hibbert wouldn't have had a chance. During his short stints of good health he played very well. He also would have been a better center than KD.

The lost boys

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Moroni:28932737
    Oden is so injury prone, either the OP or his computer knew better
    Props to VCU4LIFEGOVIKS for the sig

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JWO35 View Post
    A mixture of Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain with a sprinkle of Shaquille O'Neal

Really?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast